Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Woodburner Flue / Solar Shading
  • Daffy

So, my solar install is due to be fitted in a about a month and we have a problem with shading, from the flue from the woodburner. The flue comes out of the house, up the outside wall and projects about 1.3m up and 0.3m away from the lowest edge of the roof. This will cause intermittent shading of some panels at some points of the day. How much I don’t know. I asked about solar edge diodes to disable some panels, but the installer says it won’t be cheap and will delay the install. The other option is to move/reduce the flue.

I’m guessing that building regs won’t allow for a reduced height unless it’s further from the roof? Are there any other options?

IHN

This will cause intermittent shading of some panels at some points of the day. How much I don’t know.

I would imagine the answer is “bugger all in the scheme of things”. Remember that a thick cloud going overhead will put all your panels in shade in one go, they’re never going to produce full whack all the time.

FWIW we have a tree that shades some of our panels early morning, we just accept that they produce a bit less.

trail_rat
    Free Member

It’s ok when the gov bans them you’ll be taking the flue out anyway;) council have been trying to bring mine to roof level for years……

Real world it makes minimal difference. I have 2 strings 2.07kwh each and when my chimney clearly shades upper two panels on the left string it still records it’s making around the 2.9kw mark. it doesn’t appear to have the massive effect solar edge would have you believe. I’m certainly still producing more power than I can use…. Might change my tune when I get a battery

There are bigger gains to be had than worrying about a couple hundred watts here and there.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.