• This topic has 27 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by ctk.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Wood Fixers – how would you fix this?
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I kinda have it my own head what I’d do – but just wondering if anyone has any other (better) ideas…

Back story…offered toddler bed for sale…friend/acquaintance/neighbour came to see it…agreed price…came to collect…when we took it apart, we saw this. I can’t really say “sorry mate, sold as seen” as it would be a bit awkward. Anyway, as they think I can do all sort of wonderful stuff with wood (little do they know…), they’ve asked (nicely) if I could fix it.

Material is 18mm Birch. There’s very little material to get a fixing in. The split is so small, it’s a struggle to get any decent amount of glue in there, and if I pry it apart to get more glue in, I just risk splitting it more and making it look even worse – especially with a painted finish.

Anyone got any clever ideas? (I have an assortment of clamps, wood glues, etc at my disposal.)

And, yes, I know it probably belongs in the “Aaargh – my eye” thread. 🙂

Side view of split:

scaredypants

some sort of coachbolty thing with a pretty head on it ?

syringe & biggish needle for some glue ?

(in case yoiu were in any doubt, IANAWF)

pk13

Spread the split open a little then pva and cramp it up if you can take the wooden dowels out of the other end put them in for more surface area to glue to

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

That’s where I was going.

I’m not really a fixer either, just a putter-inner. 🙂

EDIT: @pk, they’re not dowel holes – rather they’re for bolts which go through the upright at the end of the bed into cross-dowels.

Tiger6791

2x G clamps
    Pva

Put pva in sringe
    Tease open with a screwdriver
    Squirt in pva liberally
    Wipe excess away
    Wait for a few mins for crack to take in glue (Capillary action)
    Protect surface with offcut or card
    Clamp tight
    Wipe again
    Wait 24hrs

Glued joint should be stronger than the wood

Would also be worth putting a clamp on further down so you can’t extend the split if opening it a touch to get glue in

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’d just screw that from the inside, 3 at the end and another 3 toward the ‘end’ of the crack.

tthew

Glue and clamps is how I’d go too. I might even put a slim screw or two through from the outside into the base rail, at a slight angle and well countersunk in then filled and painted over the heads.

Cascamite glue for the win though, it’s da bomb.

Tiger6791

Use PVA not Cascamite, no need for a resin glue and you need it to run

scaredypants

just to stress,

viscous liquids are a bastard to get down a needle so you may need to dilute the glue down. If you’re buying the syringe & needle, get luer-lock so you avoid a bukkake incident 😀

matt_outandabout

Jubilee clip.

stu170
    Free Member

Cable ties

ajantom

Quick fix (and it’ll be plenty strong enough) use Mitre Bond. Apply, and then quickly clamp.

Slower, but probably better is to glue and then clamp to set. I’d go for a PU glue though to make it a really strong fix.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Ductap.

I think you will be surprised how effrctive putting the nozzel up against the crack and squeezing the bottle will be at filling the crack with glue.

I’d also consuder lining the nut hole with something to spread the force a bit more evenly so it doesnt pull through a bit and cause another crack.

stevenk4563
    Free Member

Are you absolutely sure it’s not a sticker?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Glue & clamps it is. Ordered some needles from amazon. I bet I end up watering down the glue.

Tiger6791

cancel the needles, just need a syringe or even a plastic bag with a corner cut off like a piping bag

needles won’t work

tom200

Wot tiger said. A small bottle of wood glue with a nozzle should suffice, spread the crack pour in some glue and infer so gravity helps the glue into the gap. Clamp it up and it will be better than new. Clamping is the key here.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Get a couple of layers of masking tape over the end, to seal the crack and block the dowel holes. Then get an old rag and put it over the end of your vacuum nozzle – hold in place with an elastic band. Now hold the cloth-covered nozzle to one side of the exposed crack while squeezing glue into the other. Vacuum will pull glue through and liberally coat the inside surfaces. Clamp the rail until the glue goes off. You could even fit new (glued) dowels into the holes before clamping, then re-drill when it’s all set.

kayak23

Folks ain’t reading the not dowel holes bit… 🙂
    Don’t need syringes or owt like that imho.
    Mask the painted areas to protect, force pva into the crack with your fingers. Just keep wiping it into there, wipe it in further with the edge of some thin plastic or paper.
    When you apply pressure it’ll spread too.
    Cramp it up overnight. Done.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Clamp it closed with or without glue. Then use these…

http://www.axminster.co.uk/miller-standard-dowels-ax816467

… you’ll have to cut them and sand flush.

They have matching drills for the step – taper holes. The repair will show.

CountZero

PVA wood glue comes with a tapered nozzle attached, all that’s needed is to cut the seal off the end carefully to give the smallest hole, then squirt as much glue into the crack along the sides and at the end, put tape or some thin bits of wood like lolly sticks between a couple of clamps and the object and clamp up tight. Wipe off the excess that oozes out and leave for 24 hours, get a bit of rolled up damp cloth and push into the holes to clean out excess there to let the dowels fit back in.
    It’s amazing what you can do with wood glue and bits of wood, I’ve just made a replacement zip pull tag out of a couple of lolly sticks glued together, shaped to fit the zip pull, a hole drilled through and a bit of paper clip cut off and glued through the holes and through the tag. Works a treat, to my surprise!

Leku
    Free Member
    chickenman

There’s always Titebond polyurethane glue, unlike other similar glues the excess dries soft so you can pick it off with your nails. Just warm the glue up to make it nice and runny.

bodgy
    Free Member

Zip ties and a bit of old inner tube. 😉

mellowyellow
    Free Member

”avoid a bukkake incident ”

At all cost.

finbar
    Free Member

Duct tape. White stuff to match if you want to be all fancy.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Syringe and glue worked a treat. Pried apart with a knife, got a 14G needle in – PVA went through that a treat. All clamped up till tomorrow.

bodgy – Member – Block User – Quote
    Zip ties and a bit of old inner tube.

Wherever did you get your forum name? 🙂

ctk
    Free Member

Stand on its end so glue sinks in. Give the glue a few minutes to sink before you clamp also.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Wood Fixers – how would you fix this?’ is closed to new replies.