Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Wood cutting help please (in Leeds ideally)
  • jaymoid

I’ve got a new fireplace surround that needs 25mm X 1 metre cutting from the legs to accomodate the marble back piece. I’ve made a diagram here to show what I mean:top view of the wood

If I were to cut it with a jigsaw it’d be all wobbly and rough, so I would like to get it done properly. I’ve phoned a couple of timber cutting places now and they only cut the wood they sell.

Any ideas please?

p.s. I don’t have a cicular saw or a desire to cut my own limbs off.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Are you any good with a handsaw? A good thick piece of square timber clamped around the cut will keep it square for you. Just buy a nice shiny new saw to do it.

jaymoid

Are you any good with a handsaw?

In a word: no.

I’d also worry about hitting and cutting the other side of the leg/wood that doesn’t need cutting.

jimbobo
    Free Member

I have a circular saw in Leeds… but someone stole my work bench.

I tried to get some wood cut last year, but as you say, places only cut their own timber to sell. I would probably try to find a local joiner who would do 10 mins work for some cash and a bacon sarnie, or crack on and do it yourself!

McHamish
    Free Member

Hand saw would probably be best…get an old fence post to practice on.

I suspect the timber merchants only cut their own as they know it’s not full of nails/screws…it’s probably an insurance thing.

igm

I have a router some where and a long narrow bit (say 30mm by 10mm-ish) ought to do the job pretty cleanly. Use the guide obviously.

York or Castleford

jimbobo
    Free Member

I gut the bottom off our new front door, freehand with the circular saw, no guides, no goggles, and screaming like an angry zombie. I am not a role model, but I get the job done. Wife wasn’t impressed though.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

that needs 25mm X 1 metre cutting

😕

Struggling to see where you’re getting the 1 metre from?

I’m guessing the inch or so is what needs to come off the bottom of the legs. What’s the depth of the legs? i.e. when they’re stood up against the wall, how far are the legs back to front?

craigxxl
    Free Member

Assuming the 25mm is the thickness and 1m the width I would use a router and guide to cut it, failing that a handsaw.

jaymoid

1 metre is the length of the cut. If you see my pic, thats a top down view, the cut needs to be 25mm from the edge (where the dotted line is) and be cut for around 1 metre (downwards in the pic).

I guess what I want is to be able to take it to someone, a tradesman who does this kind of cutting, so that I dont foobar it or cut my legs off.

jaymoid

The width of the wood is only about 25mm itself.

nickjb
    Free Member

That should be easy with a hand saw. Either clamp a piece of wood to act as a guide or masking tape and a nice clear line. Go steady and stop straight away if it starts to wander. Cut it a little big and sand with a block if you want it super neat.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Wood cutting help please (in Leeds ideally)’ is closed to new replies.