Wood chopperists

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Wood chopperists
  • Premier Icon jimmy
    Subscriber

After some advice on wood cutting tools / gear. A pal has just bought a bang-on-trend wood burner and I want to get him a birthday present, so was thinking axe or some thing useful for seasoning his own wood. Problem might be that he’s not your Aldi special kinda guy – he likes to have one quality item of kit that’ll do the job rather than 5 which might if the weather’s right – so could be pricey. Any ideas for axes, saws or other nice kit in the “reasonable” price range?

mcmoonter

A copy of this should see him right.

sweepy

Hultafors or husquvana hatchet or axes are good quality and not too expensive, welders gloves are good stove gloves (and good oven gloves too) or a nice companion set.

neilnevill

if you / he wants a good tool that works, at a great value price, the fiskars splitting axes are excellent, the x25 or the x27. they are lighter to swing than a traditional maul so you can go for hours if you want to, and they work. best of all it rarely gets stuck, not firm at least. my x27 is far better than my 6lb maul from toolstation/screwfix. however its plastic handle means it doesn’t look special. if you want looks, then you want hand forged and ash or hickory handle. I assume neeman tools are out of the price bracket (think jon neemans maul is about £600), a grunfors bruks is a serious tool though, about £100 for their maul. if your friend hasn’r split wood before though, he will break the handle in time….hickory handles cost about £15.

neilnevill

thinking about it, unless he has a source of wood, and a chainsaw, he won’t want a maul as he’ll be buying cut, split and seasoned. however a hatchet can be useful to split splits into kindling. grunfors bruks hatchets are about £70

neilnevill

or fiskars x11 splitting hatchet, £30

Premier Icon allfankledup
    Subscriber

Bahco bow saw

Premier Icon jimmy
    Subscriber

The fiskars hatchet looks the job… Thanks for info neil

Premier Icon jimmy
    Subscriber

Mcmoonter – that’s a great idea

Premier Icon jimmy
    Subscriber

Also like the husqvarna!

neilnevill

no problem. lifetime warranty on the handle, pretty good edge…good tool at a great price. hope he likes it.

personally i’m waiting for fiskars to respond to a question i’ve askd on facebook and two different contact emails for customer care. Is the fiskars 8lb isocore maul coming to the uk? sometimes you just need to go big! 😀

Have a look on the Ray Mears website shop. He knows a good axe when he sees one

Eyepic

Fiskars X27 is the best splitting axe out there in my opinion (and yes I do also have Gransfors Bruks) but prices vary tremendously I imported mine from Germany. ..much cheaper.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Wood chopperists’ is closed to new replies.