Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Wood chipper suggestions needed
  • dafoxster
    Free Member

We have started to cut back the bushes in the garden and we have a lot of cuttings. We were thinking of hiring but there are a lot bushes on the land that need to be controlled and it will take more than a couple of weekends.(1800sqm)

Does anybody have any suggestions? It will need to handle quite some volume so it needs to be relatively powerful.

footflaps

I’d hire as all the ones in DIY sheds have small feed apertures and are slow to use. Just cut everything up on the 1st couple WEs and then spend a whole WE feeding the chipper…..

nickjb
    Free Member

Small clippings can be a pain to shred. Do you need to? We compost the small bits and bag the larger bits to take to the council compost site as is. We only tend to shred the longer stick bits. Worth having a look second hand. Lots of people buy shredders then realise they are a right pain to use.

norbert-colon

We bought a cheapo chipper from the local DIY place. It takes longer to use than just chopping stuff up small 😐

I’d hire if I were you. Unless of course you want to buy our barely used, most excellent chipper 😉

MrNice
    Free Member

I found even the hire chipper got jammed up all the time. I spent more time fishing chewed up bits of hedge out of it than anything else. I think I’d buy a trailer ahead of a chipper.

johnnystorm

/disappointed at Fargo (bike or otherwise). free thread

twicewithchips
    Free Member

bonfire night’s not far away…

hot_fiat

All the shredders with spinning disks are crap. You need to hire a “flail shredder”. Basically a big (30cm diameter) rotating drum with a load of motorbike chains and bits of angle iron spinning around its perimeter at a couple of hundred RPM. Not as dedicated to chipping big diameter wood as a timberwolf so far better at getting rid of brash.

Like this

I ended up building a scaffold to mount it on so I could put a wheelbarrow under the outfall.

wool

Just hire a timberwolf. Just spent the weekend putting a whole garden though it .Very impressive 180inc vat for the whole weekend it was worth every penny.:-)

bruneep
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Wood chipper suggestions needed’ is closed to new replies.