Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Wood burning stove – hearth depths
  • mattrgee
    Free Member

Hi all,

Just trying to understand the hearth regulations for a wood burning stove.

Most stoves we have looked at are advertised as only needing a 12mm hearth. However, on closer inspection of the regs, it seems this is only for freestanding stoves, not those in a recess / fireplace. Unless I’ve read it wrong, then it’s quite surprising as I’m sure many stoves are in a recess i.e. a fireplace.

Our fireplace seems unusual as the constructional hearth under the fireplace goes straight down in line with the recess and doesn’t project into the room at all. Not sure if a 12mm hearth is therefore permitted.

Confused.

neilnevill
    Free Member

iirc the stove requirements superseded/over rule the building regs. basically some stoves radiate much heat down, so only need ember protection and not a constructional hearth.

Bear
    Free Member

I’m not so sure about that.

Gas boiler manufacturers instructions can overrule building regs but my understanding of solid fuel is that you take whichever is the most rigorous to comply with. Unless it has changed that used to be the case.

Look at the approved document j for guidance.

TheBrick
    Free Member

+1 part j has load of good diagrams. Also some rough rules on stove fitter manual.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Wood burning stove – hearth depths’ is closed to new replies.