Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Won't Back Down: The Lost Rob Warner Story .impressed?
  • vondally
    Free Member

is that the best story they could come up with?

MSP

As much as I like Peaty, I saw the trailer for won’t back down, and decided to give it a miss. Just because someone is good at riding a bike or kicking a football etc doesn’t mean they have an interesting story to tell in a book or film.

Stiggy

Made me laugh.

cultsdave
    Free Member

MSP did you watch the same trailer as me???
    The Rob Warner story was funny.

tomhoward

Just watched the film. Steves World Cup years pretty much span the time I’ve had bikes and have always followed him, and everyone else in the film over that time. Got a bit dusty in here when the world champ winning footage was on…. Great film.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I quite enjoyed the a Rob Warner thing….certainly more interesting than the Dirt interview with Gwin.

ell_tell
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvYPxZpstkE&feature=kp[/video]

?

jonnouk
    Free Member

Saw the premiere at Bristol. It felt a bit drawn out/mis-directed at times but the nostalgia and some of the unbelievable footage of Nico i’d never seen before made up for it. Warner was funny, as always.

vondally
    Free Member

so the best story is they have is

get drunk
    go to a club
    cause criminal damage
    drive whilst drunk
    urinate with an sti
    race really hard to earn the wage he has been paid
    for once maximises his potential

in the day yes it was done but happy to see athletes working hard to achieve even if that is perceived as ‘boring’ ………

skydragon
    Free Member

….I enjoyed it

kimbers

the full movie sounds a bit too indulgent to me

warners bit was just the right level for me

mindmap3
    Free Member

They weren’t really athletes back then were they….the sport was in its infancy and a lot of people were more or less people handy on a bike who happened yo get paid to ride it. There were exceptions like Nico who was a machine and probably changed attitudes.

You’d never get away with that these days because of social media….just look at the 2011 Rugby World Cup for England.

I appreciate that modern day riders work really hard etc but done are just full….step forward the likes of Gee, Gwin and co. Some look like they actually enjoy it….Stevie, Ratboy and a few others. At lead the old guard like Peaty have some fun along the way.

caffeineoldbean
    Free Member

The old dog deserves his story told. Been around forever and at 40 still pushing his riding to the limit of madness. Go Peaty I luvs ya.

thepodge
    Free Member

If none cyclists had released a video bragging about drink driving and criminal damage this forum would be going mental right now

pictonroad

Being annoyed by Rob Warner telling a drinking story from ‘back in the day’ is a bit like being annoyed with lions for not being vegetarian. You really should know better.

The film is great, watched it last night, got dusty on occasions and I remember vividly every single magazine article they showed.

The passion we have in our teens really does stick in our brains doesn’t it. I must have thousands of MBUK articles up there along with every single guns n roses lyric.

pictonroad

You do know it’s 20 years ago?

mindmap3
    Free Member

Exactly. I got into riding around ’97 and it wasn’t a professional sport as such but a bunch of young guys Rudi g bikes and being silly whilst getting paid for it. I’m sure most on here have done some silly stuff after a few beers…especially the older ones!

I doubt very much it’s the proudest moment in his career but it kind of paints a picture of what it was like back then. Same as the silly stories of what retired rugby players used to get up to before the onslaught of professionalism.

I also guess that the video wasn’t meant for your average STW reader / forumite. Let’s face it the story could only have been worse if they’d been in an S3.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Despite it being Steve Peat, I think I’d find his life story about as interesting as wiping my nose.

vondally
    Free Member

Being annoyed by Rob Warner telling a drinking story from ‘back in the day’ is a bit like being annoyed with lions for not being vegetarian. You really should know better.

fair comment…. :-)…… I did not care for the antics then nor now, I think it made a mockery then of the money thrown at extreme sports plus how little rob warner cared

Same as the silly stories of what retired rugby players used to get up to before the onslaught of professionalism.

fair comment and been there as a rugby player some things stay on tour but as a story it is pretty poor to show

humour
    radness
    wildness

if that story is told about two young lads from a council estate it would be a complete different representation

I appreciate that modern day riders work really hard etc but done are just full….step forward the likes of Gee, Gwin and co. Some look like they actually enjoy it….Stevie, Ratboy and a few others

people should enjoy the level of sport they get to but also respect themselves and others none of which warner and peaty did in that story

for me shows Peaty in a poor light even though I have always felt he was a good fellow and see Ratboys comments in STW article on all the help Peaty showed.

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

The famous car! (robed from another legend TF)

cfinnimore
    Free Member

I have been keeping to myself my opinion on that shitty story.

Obviously Peaty would have permitted its release, but drink driving etc etc.. that wasn’t a “debauched lads” story, it was admission of a list of crimes committed abroad that could still bring consequences.

Warner is a **** tit, but we know that, shame that this “bit” was even published.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Won't Back Down: The Lost Rob Warner Story .impressed?’ is closed to new replies.