Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Wonky Olive
  • scruffythefirst
    Free Member

I’m building up a shigura setup with XT M8100 levers and mt5 calipers using the magura hose. I’m getting a leak at the lever and the olive looks mashed.

The levers didn’t come with nut or olive so I’ve bought generic pack of lifeline BH59 nuts, barbs and olives. The magura barb seems to have a much bigger shoulder than the shimano ones and the olive compressed on that the first tine. A shimano barb will go in the magura hose fine and the hose seems far enough in judging by where the olive sits, its just wonky. The chamfer on the generic nut looks pretty small, so I’ve ordered some genuine bh90 kits.

Anyone had this before?

soobalias
    Free Member

that olive looks terrible.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Why not use a shimano olive at the shimano end and a Magura olive at the magura end?

scruffythefirst
    Free Member

That is a (generic) shimano olive, barb and nut at the shimano end, magura hose.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Generic? Not genuine Shimano…?

scruffythefirst
    Free Member

Wiggles finest, got some genuine shimano on order as per the op. Just wondering if anyone has seen it before.

gardentiger
    Free Member

There are two different Shimano barbs, not sure about olives. If you have mashed oe badly, make sure you root around in there with a pick to get any shards out that may still be in there.

The last time I did a hose barb and olive job, the olive would not slide back up onto the hose around the barb. I had to clamp a small spanner to my workmate, then tap the barb end of the hose with a pin hammer to get it to go. It was a pain in the arse.

granny_ring

🙂

scruffythefirst
    Free Member

Genuine shimano nuts and olive worked first time, no leaks at the lever.

wheelsonfire1

Let that be a lesson to you! Cheapest isn’t always best? Pleased you’re sorted.

scruffythefirst
    Free Member

Well in this case it was a case of less haste more speed, as the wiggle delivery was quick (hence the gamble), the subsequent wait for genuine parts felt like aeons.

nickjb
    Free Member

Sounds more like a case using the right barb. BH59 and BH90 are different. Was the barb that worked silver or gold coloured?

scruffythefirst
    Free Member

I used the knock off BH59 barbs as the id of the Magura hose is between shimano sizes with a BH90 nut and olive (same dimensions as the knock off BH59 nut and olive – apart from the chamfer).

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Wonky Olive’ is closed to new replies.