• This topic has 17 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by alpin.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Wonky maxxis…..
  • alpin
    Free Member

Replaced the rear tyre with another Agressor DD.

I remember the old one being an absolute arse to get on and this new one wasn’t much different,but thought that could be because I’ve fitted it with ARD foam thingy.

Get it seated and inflated and find the tyre has a wobble on. About 4mm to the right and 3mm to the left of centre.

Thought it might be because of the insert. So removed that, but the tyre still has a wobble on.

Had previous Maxxis that buckled on a landing rendering the tyre useless.

whisky711
    Free Member

I’ve had this too with Aggressors, Ardents and a DHF. Have you tried washing up liquid on the bead and then a really quick inflate to about 40/50 psi?

alpin
    Free Member

Yup… Tyre seated evenly all round. No luck.

Used a bit of chalk to mark where the tyre is twisted, let the pressure down and pulled about on the opposite side, but to no avail.

Fortunately Amazon returns process is easy as. New one already in the way.

greyspoke
    Free Member

I had a minion dhf go wonky after a few hundred kms or so. Suddenly looked like it was not seated right only it was. Still works but it is a bit annoying.

kiksy
    Free Member

I enjoyed this comment on PB new Max is Dissect press release

dhrider
    Free Member

It’s a fairly common thing with Maxxis tyres.

Poopscoop

I’m lucky to never have had this issue with them but that comment on PB made me laugh.😁

wrightyson
    Free Member

2 in the last 3 weeks!

transporter13
    Free Member

I’ve had this happen to me 4 times now.. Getting rediculous.

1 dhr2
    1 minion dhf
    2 minion ss silkworms
    All exo casing

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Yeah, I’ve a wonky Minion DHF (Exo casing) on my Cotic Rocket. It’s quite irritating to see but works fine.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

I’ve had this with Maxxis, Bontrager and one Onza tyre mounted with a uniform bead line but with big deflections.

Another load of shite QC we have to endure. Honestly I think MTB products are worse then electronics for snide cost cutting, piss poor QC, stuff designed to fail just outside the warranty and the shady practice of dumping known faulty shit on to the market via discount retailers!

BadlyWiredDog

Er, send it back? I’ve had this a couple of times after smashing into stuff, but not from new. If it’s out of line from new, it’s clearly faulty. Also happens if you damage the bead during fitting I think.

gallowayboy

I’ve warrantied a minion for this, tread shifted after one ride. Same happened to the replacement, albeit when it was almost worn out. Send it back.

escrs
    Free Member

As already said send it back or at least speak to the retailer you bought it from

MY DHR2 DD casing was wonky from new, spoke to Amazon who i purchased it from and they said i could return it for a full refund or replacement, i then mentioned that its currently got sealant in it so its going to be messy to return

They said no problem we can offer you a £25 partial refund and you can keep the tyre, they didn’t even want to check it was actually deformed

peekay

I’ve had two DD Aggressor WTs that have been similarly warped from new. Each one I have contacted the seller with a video of the wobbly tyre spinning and they have refunded me without wanting the tyre back.
    I think that it is a common problem.

Sui
    Free Member

There is a thread on PB where one of the maxxis guys admitted there was a bunch of dodgy tyres mainly affected 29.. I think. I recently did this to a 26 dhr11 but I landed pretty shoddy so not surprised the tyre deformed..

jedi

I have had this from loads of brands but not since using tyre inserts

alpin
    Free Member

Hmmm…. Mine was fubar’d before being fitted, don’t think the tyre insert I had in there did much either way.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Wonky maxxis…..’ is closed to new replies.