Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • “Won” an eBay auction but don’t want item?
  • iamanobody
    Free Member

Bid
    Realised I’ve messed up
    Contacted seller
    Said he’d cancel my bid
    He didn’t
    I won
    What do I do??

Gaggia Selecta Deluxe 😢 instead of gaggia classic 😢
    56 quid!!

MrPottatoHead

If it was me, accept the mistake, buy it and then relist it. I doubt you’d make much of a loss overall and saves the hassle for the current seller.

forked
    Free Member

Do the right thing and pay for it.
    When it arrives, claim it’s badly damaged and seek a refund through ebay.
    Ebay should refund you, and let you keep the coffee machine.

dmorts

That’s fraud.

tthew

Oh come on, let’s assume he was joking!

Northwind

If they said they’d cancel your bid, that’s on them.

PePPeR

I’d say that you have the conversation recorded through eBay asking for it to be cancelled, so you may be lucky.

Next time cancel it yourself though..

Daffy

They can just cancel the sale after the auction.

Greybeard
    Free Member

When I was in that position as a seller, much searching of eBay’s not very helpful help pages led me to believe that if the seller cancels a winning bid they still pay the fees on the sale. I could be wrong. That was selling a car, and some eBay rules are different for cars.

kerley
    Free Member

Next time cancel it yourself though..

Unless bid made within last 12 hours where you can’t

DezB
    Free Member

That’s why sellers have a “Second chance offer” to send out to other bidders. They can still cancel your purchase. They’ll just relist or offer to the next highest bidder. Sod paying for something you’ve bid on in error.

chakaping
    Free Member

Is this a Brexit analogy?

have you contacted the seller again?

Greybeard
    Free Member

That’s why sellers have a “Second chance offer” to send out to other bidders

It’s not meant to facilitate breach of contract, though. It’s to protect the seller if a breach occurs.

DezB
    Free Member

“Breach of contract”? It’s eBay ffs 😆

oikeith

Just dont pay and leave it, I sold some tyres and the winner never paid and the second chance offer didnt wanna know. I couldn’t even leave bad feedback!

Painey
    Free Member

Ebay is a joke if someone does this to you (the seller). There is absolutely no way they will do anything to make you pay for what you bid on. All it does is mess the seller around who will have to relist it. I’ve had it happen to me a couple of times and it drives you mad.

I think they say it’s a legally binding contract when you submit a bid, except they will do nothing about it if you decide not to pay.

DezB
    Free Member

All it does is mess the seller around who will have to relist it

Not if you tell the seller and they offer to cancel your bid, then don’t. Then they’re messing themselves around.

ossify

eBay seller here, it’s not uncommon for a buyer to ask to cancel the sale afterwards (most of our listings are ‘buy it now’).

Simple process:
    Buyer messages and asks to cancel (either before or after payment).
    Seller goes to the sale and selects “cancel”.
    This sends a message to the buyer, who has to confirm to eBay they want to cancel.
    Payment is automatically refunded through Paypal if applicable and the seller gets the final value fees refunded, as long as the cancel reason is “buyer asked to cancel”.

No need to mess around with non-payment cases etc.

kerley
    Free Member

Ebay is a joke if someone does this to you (the seller). There is absolutely no way they will do anything to make you pay for what you bid on. All it does is mess the seller around who will have to relist it. I’ve had it happen to me a couple of times and it drives you mad.

Yep. I pretty much sell everything as Buy It Now with Pay Immediately option. Just this weekend had an offer on a Buy It Now item which I accepted and guess what, they haven’t paid 2 days later so now I have had to open a case, wait 5 days and then resist.
    eBay could do a much better job if they gave seller option to cancel sale if no payment received within 24 hours as 99% of people should eb able to pay within 24 hours shouldn’t they?

DezB
    Free Member

@ossify – Exactly.

iamanobody
    Free Member

He cancelled the bid
    No baby robins died
    The world 🌎 still spins
    I’ve not wasted cash on something I didn’t want
    I leaned to read and think

unovolo
    Free Member

Still never understood why they removed the option to leave negative feedback to Buyers, you would soon notice the ones to avoid and cancel there bids.

DezB
    Free Member

Goddam contract breaking fraudster time waster! 😀

peaslaker
    Free Member

BS behaviour by buyers has led me to buy it now sales only. I used to list items with no reserve but spoiling buyers have boiled my pi55 sufficiently that I now set the price and wait. The actions of the few do restrict options for the many.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

As a long term seller, I always raise as a non paying bidder, once that lapses the buyer gets a strike, 3 strikes and out (banned on that email address anyway).

And on buy it now offers, always go back with a higher offer even by a penny, that means the auction stays open until the buyer physically makes payment.
    No hassle of the buyer having made the offer backing out by not paying

kerley
    Free Member

And on buy it now offers, always go back with a higher offer even by a penny, that means the auction stays open until the buyer physically makes payment.

Great tip, I hadn’t thought of that. Will do that from now on thanks.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘“Won” an eBay auction but don’t want item?’ is closed to new replies.