Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Won a bottle of Ouzo at the tombola
  • boxelder

Never been to Greece and know very little about the drink, but I’m very much enjoying it. With ice it turns cloudy (like Pastis, which I’m guessing is fairly similar).
    Anything I should be trying it with (beyond the ubiquitous coke and hookers)?

wukfit
    Free Member

I seem to remember if you drink lots of water tomorrow you get drunk again, but it was a very messy holiday so may not nave been water

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Is the water thing not just a complete urban myth?.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    sadexpunk

we usually have ouzo and sprite over there. might not be traditional but its lovely.

Pook

pistachios. Perfect accompaniment.

RustySpanner

Yonder the deacon in misguided trousers.

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

“Is the water thing not just a complete urban myth?”
    funny enough that came up in conversion the other night.

So I vote for Boxelder get pissed on Ouzo, then drink nothing but water the next day, and then report back. for science research like.

theotherjonv

Ouzo, Pernod, Pastis…… those drinks are my nemesis after a heavy night followed by a whole day of retching. I just have to smell them and my vomit gland starts to flood!

(in a wierd Pavlov’s dog sort of response ….. it has to be the drinks. I actually quite like aniseed balls and flavours and they have no effect. Uncork a bottle of Ouzo somewhere in the street however)

BigJohn

A capful in a fish stew, or when baking stuffed trout.

Yak

School tombola? That’s the bottle that gets re-donated and won every year. Some sort of longevity running joke. Dammit, you’ll have to buy a new one for next year, but get it all dusty before you hand it in.

136stu
    Free Member

theotherjonv – SNAP!

And I’m the same with Martini Rosso (mis-spent youth and all that).

sarawak
    Free Member

Pints of Guinness with Ouzo chasers. A man’s drink.

boxelder

Along with the ouzo, we won a bottle of alcoholic Ginger beer, 2 cans of dodgy lager and a bottle of cheap Rose – my girls were cheating I’m sure of it. I should have had the lot in one sitting, then sued.

scud
    Free Member

You can make a drink similar to the Basque of Pacharan, place 1/2 kg of sloes, 8 coffee beans and a vanilla pod in there and leave six months, makes a very decent aperitif

Harry_the_Spider

There was a thread yesterday about what to use to get glue off a car…

scruff9252

The drinking water in the morning, reactivating the alcohol in Pastis certainly works. I spent a couple of summers as a saissonaire in France 15 years ago with pastis/pernod being the drink of choice due to it usually costing about 1 euro. Typically you would water it down 5:1 but we used to do nearer 2:1 or less water. This led to a large volume in undissolved/un-absorbed alcohol in your stomach.

The effect of drinking a pint of water in the morning would dissolve this alcohol in you, allowing it into your system. It was the equivalent effect as a hair of the dog, just enough to take the edge off the hangover. This effect lasted just long enough for the ibruprofen to kick in.

We drank gallons of the stuff, but cruised through the summer hangover free (but vaguely pissed in the morning). Not ideal if you have to drive…

sargey

Went to vass windsurfing in 92 and two of our party decided it was a good idea to drink the local ouzo with the locals one night. They lost 3days of the holiday and I have never seen people so drunk that they couldn’t stand.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Won a bottle of Ouzo at the tombola’ is closed to new replies.