• This topic has 29 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by ART.
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Womens specific Steel hardtail frame?
  • woodsman
    Free Member

Do they exist off the peg does anyone know? (without going custom)

15″ (maybe 16 at a push) centre to top (seat tube) and 21.25/.5 virtual top tube – those kinda numbers.

Probably not is my thought but, in case I’ve missed somthing.

Cheers

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Obviously not specific but a 16″ Dialled Bikes Alpine might not be too far off the mark … even though the TT is a touch longer than requested.

http://www.dialledbikes.com/products/mtb/alpine.php

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

An old Alpine would be closer, one of the 15/21 or 15/22 sizes

woodsman
    Free Member

I think that is part of the problem, finding a short top tube similar to the women specific bikes out there in alu which, are just over 21″ in that frame size.

cinnamon_girl

What height is this for?

chakaping
    Free Member

Cove Handjob has a particularly short TT, bit lighter than an Alpine as well – which some ladies might appreciate.

cinnamon_girl

Rock Lobster has a short tt but not women-specific.

woodsman
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies but all those frames come in at 22 plus top tubes.

chakaping
    Free Member

I suggested the HJ because I measured my old 17.5in frame at 21.5in TT when I was selling it.

Perhaps they have made it longer now, but a 2006/7/8 one might be worth considering.

Women may not appreciate the name of course.

thebunk

woodsman, update us if you ever find one…

SilentSparky
    Free Member

Again not woman specific, but Rocky Mountain Blizzard?

MentalMickey
    Free Member

IMHO it’s only necessary to buy a ‘women’s specific’ saddle only.

domino

Good for you Mental Mickey – some of us want to ride bikes that fit us and isn’t too stretched out.

Woodsman – I’ve been going through the same process. Ideally I wanted a steel frame that I can fit rigid forks… it was meant to be a winter bike but we are way beyond that. My other half got a lovely Kinesis Virsa Decade and I wanted something similar (in my size). Sticking to my current bikes for now and will have another think come September perhaps. Last bike I was considering was a Singular Hummingbird. ETT comes in just under 22.5.

MentalMickey
    Free Member

domino – Member
    Good for you Mental Mickey – some of us want to ride bikes that fit us and isn’t too stretched out.

The point is, plenty of ‘male’ bikes come in various shapes and sizes, many MTB’ing women enjoy so called ‘male’ bikes without a problem, why limit yourself with choices when there are many bikes you could test ride?

domino

They do – and I ride bikes that aren’t female specific but of the hardtails available for smaller riders, how many are made of steel, which is what the OP is asking for. Plenty of choice if you want alu, and probably even carbon.

ART

hey woodsman, those are the measurements I typically work with when looking 😉 and trust me I’ve looked and sighed when bikes I fancied BFE, dialled Alpines (missed the old ones) and Evil sovs all come out at 22′ or more TTE. And yes it does make a difference, even when running short stems, 21 ish seems to be the magic mark for me. I’ve got a 14′ 456 which is about right, if a tad heavy.

woodsman
    Free Member

Well done Albanach, that is the shortest top tube yet. 14″ frame though – may be ok. I’ll check out the RM I do recall they come up short.

Her current bike is a 16″ Trek WSD which has a weeney 21 1/4 virtual top tube, gets on well with it hence getting something similar geo wise wouldn’t be much of a risk.

ART – yep I can understand why, custom would be the ultimate but at 1k average you really really have to want one. Anyway, the On-One seems to work for you.

toys19
    Free Member

bfe xs

ART

bfe xs tte is 22 …. 😥 been there..

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

I’ve just gone from being stretch on a 16″ inbred (with tiny stem, and backwards layback seatpost) to a 14″ scandal, makes so much difference being that little bit shorter!

I know thats not steel but has the same geometry as the inbred doesn’t it?

damion
    Free Member

Short bikes are my speciality, steel? Only really a 14″ inbred in my opinion. My wife loves hers (5’3″, 20mm layback post, 60mm stem) and her friend didn’t want to give it back the other day and she’s 5’1″. I know it works out at over 22″, but both of them like it.

Mind you, she says my Heckler is too cramped and that works out at just over 21″

I’ve been looking at a BFe, but am hung up on the TT too! Currently riding a DMR sidekick but that may be a little too heavy duty.

ART

He he – me too, I also have an old Heckler which as you say is only a tad over 21″ and is basically the benchmark against which I judge all others, needless to say I’m going to be riding it for some time until designers notice that there are some people who need shorter bikes… 🙄

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Are charge bikes not really short? I seem to recall ruling them out ages ago for that very reason…

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Turns out they are, the 16in has a 20.7in top tube.

toys19
    Free Member

Art if you are in devon come and ride mine because its way shorter than the inbred 456 small frame which I had previously. I am 5’5″ and a bit and I have a long back with short stumpy arms and legs. I need a small bike, the smallest on one is just way too long, the bfe feels perfect.

ART

Ta for that offer … I think your description says it perfectly, i.e your long back makes the (slightly) longer top tube OK. Still if you can be arsed to get out a tape measure then would be interested to see what the TTE actually comes out at. 🙂

edit – looked at charge but wanted longer travel. Will no doubt just stick with what I have and stop all this casting around…

toys19
    Free Member

I dont think it does because I set my bikes up so sit upright, (short stem 45mm, riser bars etc) hence I need a shorter frame so my stumps can reach. Havign riddent he 456 and the bfe with the same components I can tell you the bfe feels shorter, is shorter and is very comfy.

woodsman
    Free Member

Just had a look at Charge too, the top tube dimensions do seem very short – got a feeling they are centre to centre and not virtual readings like On-One etc. The smallest frame is near 16 1/2 though. Emailed them, I’ll let you know.

ART

Mmm interesting .. food for thought (dammit) 8)

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Womens specific Steel hardtail frame?’ is closed to new replies.