Search the forum using the power of Google

Viewing 9 posts - 81 through 89 (of 89 total)
  • Women‚Äôs Euros
  • eulach

Brilliant. Well done.

gordimhor

Yes Well done England

doris5000

Called it! ūüėÄ

Well chuffed. Ella Toone‚Äôs goal was absolutely sublime, and IMO illustrative of the huge, rapid steps up in quality we‚Äôre seeing. There were lots of moments of sheer skill that had me jumping out of my seat ‚Äď Russo‚Äôs turn and shot against NI, some of Walsh and Kirby‚Äôs through balls, any time Bacha or Diani touched the ball for France, etc. And it‚Äôs mad to see it within the team too ‚Äď Ellen White for instance is great, but you can really see how the players 10 years her junior have benefited from better coaching and support at an earlier age. It‚Äôs a really exciting time. Can‚Äôt wait to see some of this lot lining up for the World Cup next year, to test themselves against the USA ūüôā

stumpyjon

It was my daughters 18th birthday party yesterday. Day started off wet and miserable, by the time i had all the gazebos up the sun came out. Telly out at 5, absolutely made the party, we had a real mix of people at the party (including an ex professional footballer) and it really brought everyone together.

MoreCashThanDash

Out on a club ride tonight, one of the guys is married to the the chair/manager of the local women’s football team.

16 enquiries last night after the game finished from women wanting to play.

Let’s hope this momentum builds.

theotherjonv

I said this after the Olympics and a lot of it holds true. The legacy is not in stadiums and facilities, or in better money for the WSL or pro clubs. It’s not even really for money at grass roots level, although that of course helps. The legacy is a little girl or boy who has been inspired to try a sport they saw during the Olympics, CG, or in this last couple of weeks and to give it a go. And to turn that into a legacy you… Dad, Mum, whoever need to facilitate it for them.

It’s great to hear stuff like MCTD’s story above. But don’t just drop them off at a session and treat it like a cheap creche. Get involved, do a basic coaching course, take on the undervalued roles like fixture secretary or welfare officer, or organise a fundraising event. Volunteer to run the barbecue at Friday night training instead of using the opportunity to sit having a drink with the other parents while someone else does it. And support your kids with your full efforts and minimal expectations of what you’ll get back from it apart from the love of sport and activity being part of your kids lives.

ChuckMorris
    Free Member

@theotherjonv spot on!

MoreCashThanDash

Great point theotherjonv.

MrsMC is a guide leader and trustee at the kids music centre and gym club

I’m on 4 local Scout committees.

Our kids are spending quite a lot of the summer at national and international gymnastics, music, Scouting and Guiding events, making friends, memories snd pursuing dreams.

Just as importantly, they understand stuff doesn’t happen without a lot of people giving up time to plan, organise, train and fundraise.

theotherjonv

Without people like you and Mrs MCTD these clubs and organisations would fold and there is no legacy worth the name.

I‚Äôve done all the roles above at times in local cricket, basketball, and football clubs. My kids don‚Äôt do sport now but are both members of local kids theatre and my wife organises the chaperoning that is necessary so kids can change costumes, be supervised, etc. at rehearsals and in theatres so the creatives can get on with running the sessions. She has a handful of parents that have done the basic course and DBS check that can help her out. Probably 2x the number of parents again drop their kids off and then either go to a local cafe and sit and chat, or even just sit in their cars outside playing candycrush or whatever it is on their phones. There was a suggestion there‚Äôs a different tier of subscription for ‚Äėnon helper‚Äô members, and there was uproar‚Ķ. my wife was fuming!

Viewing 9 posts - 81 through 89 (of 89 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Search the forum using the power of Google

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.