Search the forum using the power of Google

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 89 total)
  • Women’s Euros
  • MoreCashThanDash

All the cheating antics of the mens games to get an advantage and harrasing the referee arent as apparent in the womens game. 

I’m not so sure with this second semi final, has that niggly male feeling about it.

doris5000

Popp is amazing. Haven’t seen anyone half as clinical as that in this tournament.

chewkw
    Free Member

Achtung! Achtung! Well played Germany.

Good to see the commentators are all female without that Arsenal bloke, what his name? That bloke is a waste of space in commentating.

inkster
    Free Member

His name is Ian Wright and he’s an absolute legend..

pondo

“Whatever happens in the final now, if girls are not allowed to play football just like the boys can in their P.E. after this tournament then what are we doing? We have got to make sure they are able to play and get the opportunity to do so. If there’s no legacy to this – like with the Olympics – then what are we doing as this is as proud as I’ve ever felt of any England side.”

Impassioned. Insightful. Perfect.

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

We could start getting parity between the women and mens game. Getting more women into the game but also into the mens game. I dont see many women managers/ assistants in the top flight mens clubs. Only the third woman in history to be appointed as a referee for 2023 , which is mindboggling.

I am fortunate to see the take up of girls football in schools in our borough and other sports such as rugby and cricket but I think its not just opportunity but the mindset of boys and men that also provide a barrier of entry. You can see this in the playground in primary as the girls want to play but somehow not included. The interest and participation is growing and hopefully no longer ignored at the grass roots.

I’d love to be in a world where Russos shirt is proudly worn by everybody supporting England everywhere. There will definitely be more stars on the womens shirt in the future. Ian Wright will explode with emotion when England win the Euros.

Klunk
    Free Member

England unchanged.

doris5000

If it ain’t broke…

My prediction: 2-1 Germany.

Germany will press and press from the 1st minute til the 90th. England will be rattled and not able to play their normal game. Germany will make the best of the few chances they get, and we won’t. It will be tense and we’ll miss a great chance in the 85th minute. Still think Alex Popp will be the difference.

theotherjonv

No Alex Popp for Germany…. I just put an accumulator on with her involved, is that now voided?

doris5000

Bit gutted for Germany!

Now I’m saying 2-1 to us

doris5000

This is pretty feisty

MoreCashThanDash

I’m enjoying it, would enjoy it more if we scored

theotherjonv

England having the better of it, but unable to get Kirby or Stanway onto the ball so far. Kirby ran the game against Sweden, but she’s barely had a kick so far.

eddiebaby

It’s going to penalties…

doris5000

Not sure the ref’s having the best afternoon!

theotherjonv

the pundits said that the German fast press left them open at the back, but that was some finish!

alpin
    Free Member

It’s going to penalties

Probably.

theotherjonv

That’s where the ‘shithouse’ tactics of the game is at this stage lacking. The left winger let the full back run past her, the men’s game would have been a foul and a yellow card and danger averted. Good thing or not, I don’t know.

walowiz

One half of extra time to go, before penalties. Can’t call it, great game though.

Harry_the_Spider

Yay!

rOcKeTdOg

Very entertaining throughout the tournament and not just England 👌

eddiebaby

**** yeah!

petefromearth

Wow, been watching it today with my 5yo daughter, fantastic

MoreCashThanDash

If you want a job doing properly, let the women do it.

MrsMC has gone slightly teary, which bever happens.

roverpig

First women’s game I’ve watched in full. I wouldn’t say they were any less “professional” than the men. Looking to draw the foul, staying down to try and get the yellow card, running it into the corners to run the clock down and the last minute substitution to take a bit more time out of the game. Plenty of skill and commitment on offer too. In fact I’d say the product was no more or less entertaining than the men’s.

For me the difference (at least for now) was the crowd. Didn’t hear any booing of anthems and it just looked like a great day out. Presumably the record crowd for a men’s or women’s game has something to do with not having to put as many crowd control measures in place too. Let’s hope they can hang on to that aspect of the game.

And of course, well done Lionesses; European Champions!

RustyNissanPrairie

Brilliant!!!
    I know nothing about football but that was nail biting and enjoyable.

chewkw
    Free Member

Well done to England Women Euro 2022 team!

High Five! (Borat style)

oceanskipper

First time Mrs OS has got so excited over a game of football. We don’t really do football in our house apart from internationals and big games.  Both she and I are quite teary… Awesome is all I can say.

theotherjonv

just wonderful. A stunning first goal and a dirty scuffy toe poke winner. That’ll do!

walowiz

Yay !! Awesome, don’t normally watch the full game, but that’s the best game I’ve seen in ages, really emotional too. What a great team.

Brilliant.

spawnofyorkshire

I’m really not a football fan, but that was awesome to watch

cheekyget
    Free Member

Funking loving it…well done girls

IHN

In fact I’d say the product was no more or less entertaining than the men’s.

For me the difference (at least for now) was the crowd. Didn’t hear any booing of anthems and it just looked like a great day out.

I think it’s more entertaining, because there is less of the petulant twattishness that, for me, ruins the men’s game. I was actually pleased to see the striker who’s name ridiculously escapes me get booked for dissent, which apparently has had a zero tolerance rule applied in this tournament, as it should be.

And the same for the crowd, much less of the partisan, neanderthal crap.

oceanskipper

Note

pondo

Travelling through France so listening on BBC Sounds, arrived on site in time to watch the last fifteen minutes. Awesome, just awesome, couldn’t be happier. 😀

onehundredthidiot

I get why the lionesses but surely be bigger be better let the “make” game follow you not you follow it.

spawnofyorkshire

I get why the lionesses but surely be bigger be better let the “make” game follow you not you follow it.

Eh?

MoreCashThanDash

Been celebrating hard already? 🤣

For me the difference (at least for now) was the crowd. Didn’t hear any booing of anthems and it just looked like a great day out. Presumably the record crowd for a men’s or women’s game has something to do with not having to put as many crowd control measures in place too. Let’s hope they can hang on to that aspect of the game.

Definitely this. Maybe the male game/fans will learn something. The strict no dissent rule would be a start.

Not holding my breath.

frankconway

Really great result and huge congratulations to the team, manager, support team, women’s FA, sue campbell and all former players who made this possible.
    All previous players, managers and suport teams should be fully acknowledged for their efforts and the foundations they built.
    What will change?
    Will all premier league teams ensure they have women and girl’s football teams with appropriate structures and support?
    Same question in lower tiers – whilst accepting it’s more difficult than for prem league teams; having said that – donny belles?
    Prem league teams who wouldn’t make grounds available? Truck them.
    Potential sponsors who wouldn’t buy in? Screw them.
    Just watch the ‘marketeers’ come running with open cheque books; followers but never leaders when conviction, commitment and practical support were required.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 89 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Search the forum using the power of Google

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.

Latest Singletrack podcast episode is now live - Talking about warranties - Listen now