Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)
  • Women’s Euros
  • MoreCashThanDash

I can’t find a thread running…..🤷‍♂️

Have enjoyed what I’ve watched so far, standards have improved at the top level and games have been entertaining.

Our third goal tonight – luck and skill in equal parts.

keefezza
    Free Member

4th goal just done.

First women’s tournament I’ve watched and we’ve got well into it. not generally a football fan apart from tournaments

ads678

We went to a match at Rotherham and it was a great atmosphere.

Back heel megs though! 😯 Not sure she meant it as a shot, but it was great.

Klunk
    Free Member

world no 1 team getting a drubbing

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Do they have gender specific currency now?

Thank god for Brexit and the gender neutral British pound

chewkw
    Free Member

Well done England!

Sweden ranks No 2 in the world.

France has performed very well too.

Klunk
    Free Member

well worth posting

doris5000

Been really enjoying it. England do seem to have a tendency to get a bit loose under pressure, give it away a bit, and we’ve managed to shank a sitter over the bar at least once every match so far. Both of which could end up costing us.

But that was a great match! Really good to see Fran Kirby bossing it, she was superb tonight.

rOcKeTdOg

a lot more entertaining than the men’s game

What’s the betting on penalties against Germany in the final?

dooosuk
    Free Member

I went to the opening match at Old Trafford and it was great. 68,000 there all enjoying it.

I can understand why some of the group games were played in smaller stadiums but the semi’s only holding 30000 seems a mistake.

Roll on Sunday!

ElShalimo
    Free Member

Chapeau!!

MoreCashThanDash

I think I’d agree with that – not just the play but the whole atmosphere in the ground looks and sounds so much better.

pondo

100% – stumbled across the Women’s World Cup in ’19 and thoroughly enjoyed it, the Euros has been the same. The game’s just much more open, far less stop-start, and just played in so much better a spirit, in the stands as well as on the pitch. I shall be looking up season tickets for my local WSL team! 🙂

(And I want a Barca Bronze jersey, but christ that stuff’s expensive!)

Caher

It’s good to watch due to the slower pace but it’s not better to watch than the men’s game.

tthew

Well done for starting this Mr Cash, I assumed it was being discussed in the main football thread.

It feels to me like they need that first goal to set them off. I really hope it’s a good result on Sunday.

cheekyget
    Free Member

I’m loving the women’s game..its definitely better now

theotherjonv

Great game and result. I thought Sweden edged the first half, Earps made two good saves and they hit the bar, but when we created a good chance we took it which made the difference. Was surprised they then conceded early from a corner too, wasn’t a particularly strong header either.  Turning point really was the Earps save from that shinner, at 2:1 that would have got proper nervy but that was a genuine worldy. I’ve criticized the keepers in the women’s game before now, and the Swede wasn’t great TBF but that was a great save at a crucial time.

And what a performance by little Fran. You know it was, it really was!

pondo

It’s good to watch due to the slower pace but it’s not better to watch than the men’s game.

Men’s football bores me – women’s seems nonstop by comparison. *shrugs*

Maybe men’s needs a bigger pitch?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I’ll be honest, whenever I’ve watched women’s football before its been almost comical the number of mistakes and general sunday league-ness to it but this tournament has been something else in the few games I’ve watched. Really high standards, some great skill on show and vs the men’s game has been very much gung-ho by both teams in all the games I’ve seen.

Will be watching the final on Sunday. Hopefully this gets more people to games – 28000 at Bramall Lane which is 4k down on capacity for a Euros semi final… its looking like Leeds are going to have more at Elland Road on Sunday evening for a pre-season friendly vs Cagliari!

MoreCashThanDash

I’ll be honest, whenever I’ve watched women’s football before its been almost comical the number of mistakes and general sunday league-ness to it but this tournament has been something else in the few games I’ve watched

I think that’s a fair comment – even some WSL games I’ve caught have seemed a little amateurish at times but this tournament has really shown how far the women’s game has progressed.

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

I think the womens game has made great strides. From watching Chelsea at Kingsmeadow to seeing them at Wembley this year has been amazing. Still a long way to go but I dont think it should follow the mens game rather show how football should be done. It does make the mens players rolling on the floor look really amateurish.

Ive noticed each time I watch the players spend with the fans at the end of the match for photos and chat has been really inspiring to the the next generation and connects the fans.

thepurist

The whole thing seems to be played in a more honest manner than the mens game. No comical rolling around on the floor after every single little knock, barely any diving, no mobbing of the ref – there’s a lot the mens game could learn from this.

Harry_the_Spider

The whole thing seems to be played in a more honest manner than the mens game. No comical rolling around on the floor after every single little knock, barely any diving, no mobbing of the ref – there’s a lot the mens game could learn from this.

My thoughts exactly. Can’t be doing with all of the diving, acting and abuse of the ref.

Thoroughly enjoyed last night’s match and even felt a bit bad for the Swedish Keeper, especially when that back heel went in.

pondo

I’ll be honest, whenever I’ve watched women’s football before its been almost comical the number of mistakes and general sunday league-ness to it but this tournament has been something else in the few games I’ve watched

One of my takeaways from the 2019 World Cup was that the quality of play was breathtakingly broad, from the genuinely sublime to the Sunday League ridiculous – in no way do I mean this in a derogatory fashion but that was part of the charm of it for me. It seems to be much more consistently higher quality now.

the-muffin-man

Now if you quint a bit with one eye half closed and head cocked to one side, does anyone else think that from certain angles Sarina Wiegman has a resemblance to Kim Wexler!?

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

I also think they should remove male commentators toxic views from the matches. Ian wrights castigation of the Swedish goal keeper was embarrassing. I realise he was an ex pro and has many years of experience of the mens game but I wasnt expecting such criticism. Even Alex Scott backtracked after realising the path the commentary was going with no disrespect comment. Isnt this the same barrier that girls face in football in school playgrounds at the moment. Less about the enjoyment of the game and more about the criticism of players

Blackflag
    Free Member

Ian Wright criticism of the Swedish goal keeper was valid. She was very poor. These are pro athletes at the top of their game. Criticism is part of that and i doubt any of the players would want others to go easy on them because they were female.

crossed

100% agree with this.
    The reason I never watch football is that I can’t stand that nonsense.
    The women’s game is just far more enjoyable as a result.
    After watching the game last week, I actually decided to take yesterday and Sunday off work to watch the matches, my wife thought it was hilarious considering how little I like football. She’s no fan either but we both happily watched the match last night and enjoyed it to the point that she was looking to see if there were still tickets available for the final 😂

multi21
    Free Member

What in particular did Ian say that was toxic? I can only remember normal levels of criticism.

I actually thought Alex was being quite a lot harder on her.

Blackflag
    Free Member

I actually thought Alex was being quite a lot harder on her.

She certainly was. She was basically saying she should give up as she was past her best. far worse than IW pointing out she had a bad game.

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

As such Alex Scott did put her disclaimer in. It seems that commentators believe players are fair game for these levels of criticism. I’m sure the manager and team will analyse of the game with the benefit of video and stats and come to their own judgements whether the player should continue in the squad. I did realise that the Swedish goal keeper had a bad game and I’m pretty sure everybody who watched the game could see that without further compounding the issue.

I’d hate to see the commentators of the game descend into singling out players for personal attacks as it doesnt help the progress of the team game or their mental health.

multi21
    Free Member

Blackflag

She certainly was. She was basically saying she should give up as she was past her best. far worse than IW pointing out she had a bad game.

Thanks, I thought I must have missed something.

I thought his comments about legacy at the end of the game were quite nice.

Blackflag
    Free Member

It seems that commentators believe players are fair game for these levels of criticism.

Thats universal for all professional sports though. It comes with the territory and the players expect it. The fact it happens in the women’s game as well is a sign of it being taken seriously. Id find it far worse if everyone just stood around saying “didn’t they all do rather well” that would be patronising.

pondo

I also think they should remove male commentators toxic views from the matches. Ian wrights castigation of the Swedish goal keeper was embarrassing.

Nowt toxic there – I think the coverage and commentary has been good.

doris5000

That’s the way it’s going though. I feel like diving and gamesmanship are slowly creeping in – Pep himself would have been beaming at some of the tactical fouling from Spain the other day – and as the stakes get higher, people will start taking more borderline routes to get that edge. Top players in the US are already on £10K a week and the UK won’t take long to catch up. It will become more high pressure, mistakes will be analysed closely, and IMO it will start looking more like the men’s game.

Which will be a bad thing! I’m really enjoying this tournament, and the spirit it’s being played in.

doris5000

Thats universal for all professional sports though. It comes with the territory and the players expect it. The fact it happens in the women’s game as well is a sign of it being taken seriously. Id find it far worse if everyone just stood around saying “didn’t they all do rather well” that would be patronising.

Agree – he did caveat it, like “no disrespect but that was poor”. He’d have been a lot blunter if it was Buffon making a mistake like that imo.

I remember an article from the 2019 cup (with Phil Neville as manager) where an English player said something like “we want to be elite athletes, and we want to be treated as such. And if that means getting a bollocking if we make a big mistake, then fair enough”. I don’t think the players necessarily want to be treated with kid gloves

ads678

I think Alex Scott started the Swedish goal keeper bashing by saying she’d been moved on at Chelsea because she wasn’t good enough anymore. She then sort of appologised when she realised she’d maybe been a bit harsh. Ian Wright said she (AS) wasn’t being disrespectful because she’d (Goaley) had a poor game.

I think Ian Wright has been really good, The other female pundits obviously look up to him as he’s played a higher standard than them for a long time but is also really passionate about the womens game growing.

Pieface

We tried to get last minute tickets on Monday but they were all sold out. To see quite a few empty seats last night was disappointing.

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

The mens game seems to consist of passing backwards until it reaches the goalkeeper rather than pushing forward, the womens game is the complete opposite. The passing skills of the women seems to be superior to the mens as well, most enjoyable to watch.

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

All the cheating antics of the mens games to get an advantage and harrasing the referee arent as apparent in the womens game. The spirit and sportswomanship is much better. I for one am tired of the rolly polly light touch fall over to gain a penalty or free kick around the box. Would be interesting to see the statistics for penalties in the mens game v womens and also the number of fouls per game.

It is clear to see the difference and how refreshing it is to watch a full game with two sides fully engaged in sport. Dont get me wrong there are certain players for certain countries that have exhibited some cynical rolly polly antics but its a lot clearer to see on the outset. The games have been played in much better spirit and that also goes for the support by the fans.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.