Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • womens bikes
  • elaineanne
    Free Member

after reading a march edition of a certain mtb mag…there was an article about trying to get a full suss priced under £1,000. and if you shop around in the sales etc, yep there are a just few out there…(but only for the male populatin of this world ! hahaha anyway depending on the spec of bike,, of course cos, everybody has there own individual needs on bike spec. .
    BUT .. why the heck is it that womens spec bikes are always alot dearer ?

clareymorris

I guess it is to do with supply and demand….sadly 🙁

ebygomm
    Free Member

They can be cheaper

My womens stumpjumper was 200 pounds cheaper than the (identical apart from red instead of pink) mens version and it was under 1000 pounds 🙂

mrsflash
    Free Member

What p’s me off is that they’re mostly so under-spec’d compared to the mens bikes.

matt_outandabout

I agree mrsf – womens bikes often same price, less spec.

I guess the price/spec difference is supply/demand/cost of ‘different’ bits on a minor percentage of a range…

mrsflash
    Free Member

It’s the same with a lot of clothes. I see something I really like the look of and then find they don’t do a women’s version, they stop half way up the range iyswim. Cos obviously we don’t go out in the rain or owt. Mind you, things are better now than when I started!

cinnamon_girl

Yes, agree with mrsf. One really needs to do one’s homework.

sodafarls
    Free Member

What’s the difference between female specific bikes and general “male” bikes anyway? 1cm off the top tube?

cinnamon_girl

Did some research into Scott bikes and only difference on road bikes were shorter brake levers! Geometry was identical. Oh and a silly pink saddle!

taka
    Free Member

its just sexist bike companies and shops

mrsflash
    Free Member

Depends on the bike soda. Tweaked angles, shorter top tube, more hideous colours. Patronising sparkly paintjobs. that kind of thing.

matt_outandabout

my sis in law likes the sparky red paint job on her contessa – shame about the silly flowers…. 👿

sodafarls
    Free Member

Angles? Surely that would make it a different bike? Shorter top tube, yeah, well that makes sense (in theory). The skanky patronising pink paintjob nonsense…well, that is just depressing in so many ways. My lady still prefers her small 03 spesh enduro to her current 05 “lady” stumpy, and it’s not just the paintjob.

mrsflash
    Free Member

I do acutally own a women’s bike, I have to say. But SC seem to treat it slightly differently to other brands – they change the frame geometry, but then the colours and build kit you choose are exactly the same as the ones on offer to the men.

my sis in law likes the sparky red paint job

What annoys me is you can have colours that appeal to women without making them patronising. My Juliana is a lovely bright red – beautiful. The Voodoo is a really gorgeous bright bluebell blue. Both well suited to a girls bike (although the voodoo isn’t one) but no pastels in sight.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘womens bikes’ is closed to new replies.