Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Women on The Move: The Politics of Patents
  • stwhannah

I think you’re going to like this. Fun, irreverence, freedom and a good dose of messing around. This new film looks at some of the clothing that adven …

By stwhannah

Get the full story on our front page at:

Women on The Move: The Politics of Patents

We need your support – Find out how you can help by clicking the link below.

willard

Thank you very much for that Hannah.

One of my girlfriend’s biggest hates is exercise clothing that is unsuitable for women that, well, want to actually use it for exercising. Another is that designers of womens’ clothing appear to have forgotten that pockets are a thing.

She might also get triggered by the historical part of the film; people telling her (and other women) she can’t/shouldn’t do stuff because she’s a woman is a sure way to piss her off.

alexpalacefan

Great stuff, thanks Hannah. Best writing at ST at the moment

APF 🙂

crossed

Great stuff, thanks Hannah. Best writing at ST at the moment

Agree with this 100%.

Hannah’s writing is the only thing that keeps me subscribing to Singletrack.

footflaps

I enjoyed that film, amazing what people used to think back then….

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

“people telling her (and other women) she can’t/shouldn’t do stuff because she’s a woman is a sure way to piss her off.”

Do people acxtually tell her that?

hightensionline

Thanks for the article, and the brilliant film.

LAT

your Auntie Hannah looks like my wife’s late grandma.

she has a pair of socks with “no nonsense” woven into the toes that she wears in Grandma’s memory

crazy-legs

“people telling her (and other women) she can’t/shouldn’t do stuff because she’s a woman is a sure way to piss her off.”

Do people acxtually tell her that?

Sort of related, I’ve been to a few talks at Rapha by Emily Chappell (Trans Continental race winner, all round adventure cyclist) and several other riders too – Katie Kookaburra (her Instagram name) is another good example.

One thing they always get asked in the Q&A at the end after they’ve spoken about their solo adventures, tours across Europe etc is “isn’t that very dangerous?” and/or “weren’t you afraid?”

No-one ever asks lone male riders those questions…

Very good article Hannah!

ahsat

Brilliant brilliant. This has become one of my favourite films ever and wonderful writing alongside Hannah.

However, I also have a project funded by the European Research Council and I am just massively sad that I have no justification (in my boring science!) to make a film this cool.

pedallingviolin

Great article.

Did I spy reflective tweed? It would be great to see a range of usable “normal “ clothing across the board.

Bunnyhop

A female friend and I went night riding over Middle Moor, Hayfield many times. I ended up keeping quiet about this fact because people seemed to be mortified by the danger of it all. My mother couldn’t understand that it was more dangerous to walk across a city centre at that particular time of night. I suffer from anxiety, so going into a city is a horrible experience, whereas riding along a bridleway on a moor, so quiet, so peaceful with no-one else around is a wonderful experience. I wish more women would do it.

Pyro

Loved that, as did my other half. She’s more interested in the clothing design than I am, but both of us went ‘that’s cool’ at both the designs and especially the reflective tweed!

willard

@suburbanreuben

I got around to asking her about this at the weekend and she confirmed that, yes, people have and continue to tell her that she can’t do stuff because she is female. Mostly older males, sometimes younger ones. She get’s rather angry about that.

hightensionline

She get’s rather angry about that

I started to type ‘I can imagine…’ but I can’t, and that’s the point I suppose.
    It’s a great film, and with really strong (very positive) feedback from women I’ve shared it with. And lots of laughter to boot.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.