Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Woman sues parents of cyclist she killed with her SUV.
  • unknown
    Free Member

For all kinds of reasons, that story is incredibly sad. That said, I hope nothing good happens to the SUV driver for the rest of her wretched life.

taxi25
    Free Member

Did you read it all. The bit about how the parents are suing the driver, despite no charges being made. Their all as bad as each other IMHO.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    br
    Free Member

According to a statement of claim filed in Ontario Superior Court last December by the woman’s lawyer, Sharlene Simon “has sustained and will sustain great pain and suffering,” including “a severe shock to her system” as a result of the crash.

“…her enjoyment of life has been and will be lessened,” the document says.

This may just be a smart legal tactic, in response to a $900,000 lawsuit filed by the victim’s parents, who claim that Simon was “speeding, under the influence or texting at the time of the accident, and that Jules Simon allowed her to drive the SUV when “he knew or ought to have known” she was in no condition to do so.”

Nothing good will come of any of it.

But tbh 3 lads out riding on a (country) road wearing black with no lights 🙄

bigblackshed

The land of litigation’s next door neighbour.

csb

Seems vexatious all round. Is there anything in the US (or the UK for that matter)that mediates in these cases and decides whether they have any merit, or is it al about bluster and bluff calling?

There’s always more to these stories than what’s in the news report, but…

Cycling home at 1:30am, three abreast, with no lights.
    If you heard a car coming up behind you, would you stay on the road or move over ?

Driving along a (60mph speed limit ?) road at 1:30 am.
    Would you see three cyclists with no lights in time to react ?

Mike_D
    Free Member

Assuming your car has headlights, you ought to be able to. See also: Horses, fallen trees, parked cars, other non-illuminated stationary objects 🙂

IanW
    Free Member

But tbh 3 lads out riding on a (country) road wearing black with no lights

On one level your right but tbh I find it saddening that people are expected to eek out some kind of life dodging cars.

br
    Free Member

On one level your right but tbh I find it saddening that people are expected to eek out some kind of life dodging cars.

But rightly or wrongly that is how we stay alive. No different to if they’d been walking home, or not looking before stepping out into a busy road.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Sounds like nobody was acting sensibly, the police probably rightly couldn’t bring charges based on what had happened. The family takes civil action against the driver who’s legal people construct a counter. The worst bit is in reality the only winner in this will be the lawyers.

crankboy
    Free Member

The police to whom the motorist happened to be married , did not bring any charges . From the comments there seem to be some serious allegations going both ways about the police investigation.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I agree the cyclists were foolish but with bright lights on a car, the cyclists having some reflectors and a perfectly straight road how do you fail to see three folk on a road completely across your carriageway?

I agree the cyclists actions were unwise but i cannot see how , without great ineptitude you cannot see them.

raisinhat
    Free Member

Is there anything in the US (or the UK for that matter)that mediates in these cases and decides whether they have any merit, or is it al about bluster and bluff calling?

In the US suing someone is as simple as going down to the courthouse and paying the filing fee (usually about $25). Then the case is looked at by a judge, and they decide if it has any merit – they have the power to dismiss the suit so it doesn’t go to a court case. Filing a counter suit in this kind of situation isn’t unusual, as mikewsmith says. Pretty sad situation all around.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Woman sues parents of cyclist she killed with her SUV.’ is closed to new replies.