Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • World's Simplest Moving Toy Train
  • dannybgoode

Love this – can’t wait until babybgoode is old enough to do this with me…

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9b0J29OzAU[/video]

SammyC
    Free Member

Brilliant!

Klunk
    Free Member

from the comments

Wow, what a sexist video. The battery obviously represents the male phallus whilst the copper represents the female vagina. The movement of the battery through the wire represents the forced penetration by the male, also known as rape. It sickens me seeing videos with such blatant sexist messages on the front page of Reddit, you people disgust me!

Berta Lovejoy, Feminist, Promoter Of Equality, Love, and Peace.?

🙂

njee20
    Free Member

Edit: something weird’s going on 😕

Very cool though!

DrP

I saw that an immediately though “rapist” too..

You lot sicken me…

DrP

martinhutch

The funniest thing is most of the Youtube replies to Berta are taking her seriously…

So how does that work – my ‘O’level physics is way, way back down the track.

brant
    Free Member

<killjoy>
    Though small childen, and small magnets aren’t a great mix.
    </killjoy>

AlexSimon

Fantastic that.

peterfile
    Free Member

I know it isn’t, but wouldn’t it be great if this was fake?

Parents spending hours with their children, painstakingly coiling copper for what feels like an eternity…then finally the big moment arrives and….nothing. 🙂

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

My knowledge of circuits and physics etc is way out of date, but surely attaching a (metal) magnet to each end of a battery and then closing the circuit (with the copper coil ‘tunnel’ track is going to result in effectively a short circuit and generate heat as well as movement and the potential for explodey battery syndrome?

DezB
    Free Member

My knowledge of trains isn’t great but that’s not a train. It’s a battery with magnets attached.

theotherjonv

It’s cool but it’s not a train. I’d suggest rolling a stone down a hill would be less cool, but simpler, and would be about as trainey as that is.

allthegear
    Free Member

My knowledge of trains isn’t great but that’s not a train. It’s a battery with magnets attached.

Not sure Virgin Trains should count, either. Doesn’t stop ’em making a few bob out of it…

Northwind

DrP – Member

I saw that an immediately though “rapist” too..

I didn’t get that reaction, but it did remind me of the time I stuck magnets to my cock and ****ed a spring.

dannybgoode

@pf – the copper wire is motor wire so has a very thin insulating layer on it.

If you look inside an electric motor the wire looks bare but is not otherwise it too would short…

dannybgoode

<killjoy>
    Though small childen, and small magnets aren’t a great mix.
    </killjoy>

Hence my putting waiting until he is old enough! 🙂

maxtorque

er, this needs to be raw, un-insulated copper wire to work!!! (otherwise no current will flow, and no force will be generated)

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Hence my putting waiting until he is old enough!

Why? If he swallows a magnet, just wrap him in copper wire and get him to swallow a battery.

aracer
    Free Member

Nope – just copper wire. If it was insulated then it wouldn’t work as there would be no circuit. It’s actually relying on the coils not touching each other.

Wire is thin, and with the coils there’s a reasonable length between the two ends of the battery, providing some resistance – more important though I think is the inductance due to the generated magnetic field, which means it’s a “long” circuit.

aracer
    Free Member

Anybody know an easy way to coil wire like that? Quite tempted to have a go, but not if I’ll spend hours getting very bored.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Got me wondering if he/she (don’t want to be seen as sexist about coiled copper vag rape) turned the battery around, would it travel in opposite direction?

Would that make it anal?

maxtorque

Two things limit the total current through the circuit, the relatively “poor” contact made between the magnets (which are acting as the motor “brushes” in this system) and the internal resistance of the battery itself. Short circuit current of a AAA battery is in the order of 2 to 3 Amps, so with what looks to be around 10 or so turns of wire along the length of the battery, that’s something like 30 AmpTurns of EMF.

mogrim

Anybody know an easy way to coil wire like that? Quite tempted to have a go, but not if I’ll spend hours getting very bored.

Round a stick of dowel, very easy and quick.

scotroutes

I’ll let you think about that for a moment.

For a starter, how many grooves are there in one side of a vinyl LP? 😆

aracer
    Free Member

Thanks. In case anybody else is looking, the battery he uses is an LR1 or N cell, and 13mm diameter magnets (an LR1 is 12mm diameter).

aracer
    Free Member

I’ve thought, 1. I’ve thought, 1. I’ve thought, 1. I’ve thought, 1. I’ve thought, 1. I’ve thought, 1. I’ve thought, 1. I’ve thought, 1. I’ve thought, 1. I’ve thought, 1. I’ve thought, 1. I’ve thought, 1. I’ve thought, 1. I’ve thought, 1. I’ve thought, 1. I’ve thought, 1. I’ve thought, 1.

…vinyl where the groove touches itself

marcus7
    Free Member

If you want to coil the wire quickly then get a variable speed drill and suitable bit and wind it toward the chuck as it builds it will come of the tip end as a continuous coil. takes practice but is very quick!

peterfile
    Free Member

OK, this could get serious…I’ve just found 14 kilometres of bare copper wire for £23.

Using marcus’s drill idea, I could potentially send a battery into the next village, securing my place in the history books. Finally.

aracer
    Free Member

Struggling to find 13mm magnets, the nearest I’ve found is 14mm which should work, but will have to wait for delivery…
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/N35-10-x-Super-Strong-Round-Disc-Magnets-14-2mm-Rare-Earth-Neodymium-14-x-2-mm-/320967267460

AlexSimon

Once they arrive, you can build one of these as well.
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbCN3EnYfWU[/video]

DrP

Homopolar. Rape.

This is the most sexually charged thread in a long time…

DrP

GrahamS

NEEDS MOAR POWAR!!!!

These should do the trick:
    80mm dia x 65mm thick Stainless Steel Encased N42 Neodymium Magnet – 155kg Pull

Careful though…

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t8yDnyOaQ8[/video]

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘World's Simplest Moving Toy Train’ is closed to new replies.