Wolf moon is amazing.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)
  • Wolf moon is amazing.
  • Bunnyhop

Full moon out now. Views amazing.

Premier Icon eddiebaby
    Subscriber

3 wolf moon is better.

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

I was out early this morning. The moon was HUGE

You sure it wasn’t that big baldy Barnet of yours, Binners?. 😂

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

That’s actually quite possible.

Like a bowling ball balanced on my shoulders 😂

Premier Icon eddiebaby
    Subscriber

It is pretty impressive. Bit low on the horizon at the moment should be sharper later if it doesn’t cloud over.
    Maybe I should have used flash?

Moon-1

Premier Icon kelvin
    Subscriber

Yeah, was lovely about 7am.

Lol Binners, I feel your pain. 🤣

ElShalimo

@Nobeerinthefridge – don’t confuse @binners.
    The “moon” is not the end he shoves the Greggs products in. I shudder to think what would happen if he gets confused

🤢

scruff9252

I was out bivving last night, didn’t need a head torch at all for the wander up the pentlands / pitching the tent.

Loads of stars out too – was a brilliant night. Pretty cold mind!

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

Yup full moons are usually impressive and lovely clear night is a bonus.

scotroutes

Aye, we were out riding last night. Barely needed the torch in some spots, with the moonlight bouncing off the snow.

Premier Icon crazy-legs
    Subscriber

Just been out for a night ride. Too cloudy for many stars but the moon was still really bright even with the cloud cover.

gwaelod

WTF is this “wolf moon” bollocks?

Premier Icon boxelder
    Subscriber

The only howling thing in N Lakes tonight is the wind. With ‘Pissin rain’ on percussion.

davros

I thought it looked a a rather big and bright moon.

null

Premier Icon colournoise
    Subscriber

Not so big looking from the middle of the woods.

CountZero

WTF is this “wolf moon” bollocks?

The first full moon in January:
    https://www.timeanddate.com/astronomy/moon/wolf.html
    Of course, you could have just done what I did, and type ‘Wolf Moon’ into the search engine of your choice, but it’s just so much easier to get someone else to do it for you, isn’t it…

gwaelod

Can anyone on here honestly remember anyone referring to a full moon in January as a “wolf moon” before? I’m just over 50 and never heard of it. This is an exercise in media branding and meme spreading.

Premier Icon bruneep
    Subscriber

it’s so we can all wear our wolf T shirts https://www.amazon.com/Mountain-Three-Wolf-Short-Sleeve/dp/B002HJ377A

Read the Questions and reviews

Houns

She looks impressive still this morning

Ok you’re over 50 so grumpy and don’t like new fangled things,but, Shirley you’ve heard of blue moon and blood moon? Do you get grumpy about those names?

This is an exercise in media branding and meme spreading

Went a guided nightwalk last year with a mountaineer who dies all the munros in the dark hours.

He preferred to walk during a full moon obviously, and went into all the moon names throughout the season, harvest moons etc, and where the names came from.

So, no it’s not a media thing, it’s just that you’ve never heard of it.

Premier Icon howsyourdad1
    Subscriber

Yes and being if a certain age you must also have heard of

gwaelod

Its not that I’ve not heard of it before..no one has heard of it before. Can anyone remember their parents or grandparents or great grandparents referring to a “wolf moon”

.a couple of half assed websites mention Algonquin language but no mention of what the original phrase in Algonquin language is. All sounds like made up cobblers frankly. It appears on Time and date…every local DJ in UK looks there for some content to fill in between their reports of road deaths and wham everyone is using the expression like it’s a thing that’s been around for generations.

Great example of how disinformation flows though

Premier Icon bearnecessities
    Subscriber

I’m enjoying your quality ranting.

(Never heard of it either)

Houns

Ok boomer…..

Just because you haven’t heard of any of the Moon names before doesn’t mean no one else has. I bet you’re a daily mail reader?

The names are pagan/Wiccan and go back centuries

You’ve been given proof that these names exist and aren’t made up and have been asked if you’ve heard of blue moon (as in once in a blue moon) harvest moon and blood moon.

We should all refer to the moon as ‘she’ and ‘her’ you’ll really lose your shit then 😂

gwaelod

Nobeerinthefridge your guide never actually mentioned “wolf moon” did he?

gwaelod

Houns. what proof?

I’m not the Daily Mail reader here..it’s the people who are uncritically rebroadcasting tabloidise that deserve that epithet.

Houns

And people who claim that as they haven’t heard of something that they’re right and everyone else is wrong

It was last may, you expect me to recall all the moon names He used?! With my memory! 🤣

gwaelod

Blue moon..long standing expression in English..with a tenuous connection to an actual lunar event.

Harvest moon..proper generally accepted term for full moon in and around time farmers working hard to get crops in

“Blood Moon” a phrase that never existed up until a few years ago when tabloids showed some nice photos of a full moon coinciding with a glorious sunset/sunrise.

gwaelod

Houns

Its not just me that’s never heard of it…no one has ever heard of it!

Premier Icon crazy-legs
    Subscriber

Went a guided nightwalk last year with a mountaineer who dies all the munros in the dark hours.

He preferred to walk during a full moon obviously, and went into all the moon names throughout the season, harvest moons etc, and where the names came from.

So, no it’s not a media thing, it’s just that you’ve never heard of it.

I went to a talk and exhibition by a photographer who’d done a year of nighttime landscape photography, working across all the seasons. The photos were all in the Lake District which, as he remarked, is rather over-photographed so it’s hard to come up with something new.

However he’d named his series through the moons rather than months and he used the Wolf, Harvest etc terminology. That was 20 years ago so it’s definitely you not hearing about it rather than some new-fangled moon marketing.

Houns

We’re getting somewhere!

gwaelod

Crazy-legs.. you can remember one bloke in the last 20years mention Wolf and Harvest but not any of the others on his list. What an excellent stroke of luck and a remarkable memory feat I’m sure that memory isnt influenced at all by current discusions.

Houns

gwaelod

Houns

But there are plenty on this thread who have heard of it. It’s ok, you can admit you’re wrong

Premier Icon crazy-legs
    Subscriber

“Blood Moon” a phrase that never existed up until a few years ago when tabloids showed some nice photos of a full moon coinciding with a glorious sunset/sunrise.

Wrong again. You’re not doing very well on this thread really!

Blood moon refers to a total lunar eclipse where the Earth comes between the sun and the moon. The only light reflected from the moon is light that has been refracted by Earth’s atmosphere. This light appears reddish for the same reason that a sunset or sunrise does: the Rayleigh scattering of light in the blue end of the spectrum.

It’s been called blood moon for centuries but blood is not a month like Wolf, Harvest etc, it just refers to any total lunar eclipse where that phenomenon can be seen. Of course the tabloids love it, it sounds dramatic and prophetic.

Premier Icon Watty
    Subscriber

I’ve never heard of it 👍

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.