• This topic has 30 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by IanW.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Woe is us content – Victim of the obesity epidemic.
  • pictonroad

So, with everyone getting fatter I can’t get clothes to fit anymore. I work in construction and we’ve just had a new delivery of kit, even the small stuff has all this bagginess where they expect my belly to be.

Fitted shirts now have extra space in the middle region, Most ‘small’ stuff is like a tent billowing round my midriff, I HATE baggy shirts, they make you look work experience.

Cycling gear seems to be the worst offender, presumably catering to a MAMIL stereotype that I’m sure doesn’t exist. Bought two size small tops, perfect length sleeves, neck size etc and there it is, the gut pouch awaiting to be filled. Altura small shorts have a 35″ waist FFS!

I’m not a freak, 5’8″ 36″ chest, stuff used to fit me.

sighs.

edited – typo – 35″ waist, not 39″

jam-bo

Altura Shorts Sizes
    Size Waist Inches
    Small 27”- 29”
    Medium 30”- 32”
    Large 33”- 35”
    X Large 36”- 38”
    XX Large 39”- 41”
    XXX Large 42”- 44”

growinglad
    Free Member

Well I’m no fat boy, but I could do with loosing a few KG’s. Okay, I’m 6.1, but even so, Endura Large comes up snugg.

pictonroad

Altura attach waterproof shorts, got a pair at home, they failed to stay on me to an alarming degree so I measured the waistband.

zippykona

Have you ever measured how big a pair of 32 inch jeans really are? Mine are 33 1/2 .

phiiiiil

My newer 32″ jeans are noticeably larger than my older ones. I’d expect it to be the other way round, as the older ones go saggy with age, but not so.

(I’ve got a t-shirt from a kids range too… the wife mocks me cruelly, but it fitted much better than the so called “small” one!)

bigblackshed

Men’s clothing sizes, in particular waist sizes, have never been what the item physically measures. The “fashion” industry call it vanity sizing.

Pictonroad. You are a freak. You sound far too skinny to be normal. 😉

pictonroad

Have you ever measured how big a pair of 32 inch jeans really are? Mine are 33 1/2

They didn’t used to be, My usual paycheque stretching hunt round TK Maxx clearance aisle has revealed Fat Face, Crew, and other middle aged ‘lifestyle’ brands to be particularly bad at this.

Northwind

pictonroad – Member

Altura attach waterproof shorts, got a pair at home, they failed to stay on me to an alarming degree so I measured the waistband.

Attacks have an adjustable waistband- I’m 31 inch waist and I wear a medium, velcro’d in a little.

pictonroad

I’ve just ordered some braces for them and got suckered into other discounted items to get free delivery. THE HUMANITY.

(they’re still bigger than 32″ fully cinched in but I’m going to get fatter to accomodate, it’s easier this way)

Northwind

You made me get out my tapemeasure! Mine (medium) are bang on 31 inches, they’re not quite at the end of the adjustment. (you realise you can overlap the velcro, ie have a bit of the tab stick out and some of the velcro not in contact?)

AlasdairMc

I’ve got the same with my Attacks as well. I’m not a skinny fellow, but I need the medium for the leg length. The waist just won’t cinch in enough for me though, so I’m considering butchery of some sort to put some press studs in or something.

pictonroad

Mine aren’t, I am cognisant of the operation of Velcro, size small, 32 ” waist velcro pulled until only a tiny bit sticks and they’re still way too big.

maybe they had an funny year, anyway my point still stands and I demand my right to get uppity.

annebr
    Free Member

shut up and have a pie!

iamconfusedagain
    Free Member

I too find most clothes are for fat people. Shirts seem to be as wide as they are long.

Cycling stuff is not too bad as I am mostly roadie by nature so I can just look for Italian brands. I have to buy Castelli large. In normal clothes I guess 30 inch waist, the main problem is to get my quads to fit in the trousers or shoulders to fit in shirts the other bits are really loose.

timraven

my point still stands and I demand my right to get uppity.

and rightly so, as anyone on here will atest. 😆

molgrips
    Free Member

I had the option of some specially printed kit a while ago. I chose large, and I selected the club option because I’m not a race whippet. It’s absoutely huge.

Shirts seem to be as wide as they are long

It’s been like that for decades. That’s why I went to Lewins and bought ‘slim’ fit. Despite being not slim. Fit far better.

Suggsey
    Free Member

They don’t make shorts big enough for us MAMILS in baggies. If it weren’t for the likes of us you wouldn’t have anyone to make you feel good about being so thin 😆

Northwind

pictonroad – Member

Mine aren’t, I am cognisant of the operation of Velcro, size small, 32 ” waist velcro pulled until only a tiny bit sticks and they’re still way too big.

I think the problem here is that you accidentally measured your waist with a pinkbike ruler, which has doubled the size.

avdave2

The Attacks are the worse offender in the Altura line. The Semi Drys are a little better and the Metros better still. I have all 3 in 3/4 small, as the waist gets smaller the legs get longer. It’s like they have to use a minimum amount of material.

vickypea
    Free Member

I’m a size 12 woman, so about average, and have usually bought ladies’ size large cycling kit in the past (Assos, Gore). So, I recently ordered some size large Endura tights but they were unwearably huge. Even the medium ones were on the big side.

alaslas
    Free Member

I’ve never shopped in Matalan before but there’s a local one, so when I was pushed to buy some new jeans recently was a bit surprised to find I’m in to the smallest ones they’ve got 30″ skinny fit ones. Not bragging about that, just a bit shocked. Usually 32″ standard fit. Society is changing. Will we be condemned to child sizes?!

molgrips
    Free Member

Endura sizing is all over the place anyway.

_tom_
    Free Member

Mtb stuff is huge. I bought a Royal jersey in a small but fits like a medium or large. Same thing with other brands. Roadie stuff fits better

Suggsey
    Free Member

Skinny fit is work of the devil, Next seem to now only cater for the anorexic youff now!

martinhutch

Try climbing shorts. They are aimed at the seriously skinny.

pictonroad

Not just me then, I’ll have a sip of gruel to celebrate.

njee20
    Free Member

A full sip? Extravagance!

We recently changed our team kit to Champion Systems, and their ‘race cut’ stuff is tiny! A small jersey didn’t even nearly fit me at 5’10” 36″ chest. Medium is bloody snug

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

ChampSys stuff is deffo on the euro end of the sizing spectrum. I’m a happy medium in their stuff, but a small in anything Endura.

njee20
    Free Member

Club cut seems about right, but Race cut is just tiny. Bit weird really!

IanW
    Free Member

medium to xl depending on the manufacturer.
    I used to xxl and thought all cycling stuff was ludicrously sized, turned out I was fat.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Woe is us content – Victim of the obesity epidemic.’ is closed to new replies.