Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Woburn – where else during winter / wet weather ?
  • Trimix
    Free Member

I love Woburn, especially during winter conditions. Also used to ride Area 51 down near Deepcut till it got fenced off.

So, apart from Woburn, where else is similar for a bit of winter fun ?

ampthill

It’s the best but

Chicksands has some XC and lots of more challenging stuff. But the same surface

Rushmere, which is linkeable to Woburn. Includes the Trek trail and a few newer trails cut when it officially opened to the public. Again the same surface

I assume you are aware of the behind the church stuff at Woburn? But best approached by not riding past the church

Trimix
    Free Member

I occasionaly ride Chicksands, love the duel track. Ive been riding Woburn for about 15 years so know it pretty well. Also do Rushmere as part of my Woburn riding.

There must be other places that are of the same soil condition and full of pixie built trails.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Akers

Swinley is a good bet in winter. It’s mostly low level XC type riding but it’s sandy soil, so doesn’t get too sticky. The official routes are hard wearing, and there is a bit extra to keep you interested if you head out into Crowthorne wood, and some jumps to session on Babaymaker, Bikini Car Wash, etc around ‘The Clubhouse’ area.

Trimix
    Free Member

Yes, cheers Akers. Swinley I know and have done some off-piste stuff round there. But is there anywhere else not already mentioned ? Or is it just Swinley / Woburn / Chicksands and Trail Ctrs for the winter.

And no, I’m not getting a CX bike to embrace the mud. I tried that and it was not for me.

Chilterns Im local to and that’s pretty much off limits in the winter unless it freezes over. Same goes for the Cotswolds which I’m also close to.

I may have to Google for a geological map of the country and start looking for sandy pine forests on the side of a hill !

ampthill

Your looking for the Greensand on the geological map. It outcrops North and South of London. Apparently Pease Lake is similar conditions. I’ve always thought there should be stuff round Sandy. Not that I’ve looked

I don’t know of the upper verses lower Greensand makes any difference for mountain biking

https://images.app.goo.gl/Lk2k1D6TLFSu1UpP7

http://www.southampton.ac.uk/~imw/jpg-British-Geology/12BG-Sussex-Geological-Map-Improved.jpg

Bagstard
    Free Member

Is there an off road link between Woburn and Rushmere?

kimbers

Surrey hills is what you’re after as said above its all part of the Greenland feature

kimbers

@Bagstard best I’ve found is so church side to most southern point, at golf course exit cross over A5 and ride along bridleway, past the farm towards rushmere

It’s Not the earliest of routes

Bagstard
    Free Member

Thanks kimbers, I will have a look on the map.

Trimix
    Free Member

Cheers, I will start my Geological investigation.

Or just drive for two hours to the Surrey Hills for my winter fix.

paulneenan76
    Free Member

It’s a bit more chalky but around the Dunstable Downs and over to Ashridge – loads round there but I don’t know the off-piste stuff well enough to direct you.

stayhigh

Might be heading over to Woburn at the weekend. Does anyone have a 15-20 mile .gpx they could ping me please?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Woburn – where else during winter / wet weather ?’ is closed to new replies.