Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Woburn Sands this Sunday?
  • chiefgrooveguru

1. Is it still officially open to MTBers?

2. Does anyone with local knowledge want to show me around?

Thanks!

oldgit
    Free Member

yes its open to riders, though some parts require a permit. That said Ice heard that they might be going.
    I’m racing Sunday, but my lot the Buzzards will ne riding from 8am. Shouldbe loads out if its okay. Though I think the locals are fair weather faries.

rig
    Free Member

I’m racing Sunday,

See you at Aston Clinton oldgit?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    oldgit
    Free Member

yeah. Looking forward to a new venue. Feeling good now so I’ll be hoping to do better, but still starting at the back.

chiefgrooveguru

Looks like Sunday is out for me. Took the cranks off to switch to double+bash and found one of the BB bearings has seized. Off to Hope, hopefully for a warranty replacement. And no spare bike…

oldgit
    Free Member

Are you local to Woburn?

chiefgrooveguru

No, but I grew up near there so return fairly often for family visits. I rode there for the first time back in June but spent a lot of time looking at a map to find the trails.

Jase
    Free Member

I could prob show you around one weekend.

Or just meet up with Cyclone, they meet at 10am and then again at 11am each Sunday at the top of the road out of Woburn Sands.

Bludgeon
    Free Member

If you want a good look around you should try the Reservoir Goats: http://www.reservoirgoats.co.uk/

More laid back than the Cyclones….. and much more variety of riding.

IMO

kerv
    Free Member

Or there is a group of “fair weather fairy” locals who meet at the bottom of the steep hill up to the church about 8.45am most Sundays. As long as it’s unbroken sunshine and 40deg in the shade of course! Looks like you’re spoiled for choice fella.

chiefgrooveguru

Just had an idea! Why don’t I put my Hope BB back together, ride it this weekend, and then send the knackered item back next week? Or is this one of my bad ideas?

chiefgrooveguru

Bike is back in one piece, appears to be functioning well enough. Truvativ adapter on Hope BB isn’t turning but cranks are spinning ok – seems like the axle is treating it like a bush. Weird.

oldgit
    Free Member

The trails were fairly good last night.Barring any downpours you should have nice conditions.
    We had ten out last night, more than summer.

chiefgrooveguru

It was all dry and sandy last time – and one trail was impassable due to excessively verdant spiky plants, so winter should have some upsides. I’ll be there late morning if anyone wants to join me, as I think I’ll be too late for any of the group rides. Does anyone have an up-to-date map? I missed the freeride section last time – are there any jumps small enough for an airtime novice?

Jase
    Free Member

Not sure any maps exist showing the trails.

The jump area is next to the road that runs down to Woburn Sands from Woburn so you will pass it if you drive in from that direction – they’ll be loads of cars parked up on the verge.

TheFopster
    Free Member

As a newcomer to Woburn (just moved to the area) I find it almost impossible to find my way around, and am lost most of the time. Doesn’t help that I am normally there in the dark. If you have any form of GPS type thingy (I use phone) I’d suggest just ride around and follow your nose on whatever looks like a nice trail, then half an hour before home time get the phone out and try and figure out how the hell you get back to where you started. And on no account do that late at night with fading lights and with your spare batteries on your kitchen worktop. Hypothetically.

oldgit
    Free Member

Doing another solo night Thursday if anyones interested. No way to get all learned up about the place though 😐

jedi

i must get back there soon for a night ride 🙂

Trimix
    Free Member

Its a small area on a hill surrounded by a road or the limit of the woods. Covered in trails every which way, so if you get lost you will not be lost for long. Either ride uphill or down hill, how hard can it be.

Pick a bit of it and ride all the trails in it, soon it will make sence. Plus getting lost for a while means you will ride stuff you have not done before.

After a few vists you will get some idea of the place, after several visits you will realise there are endless trails. I must have been ten times and still find loads to ride Id not done before.

Take a couple of quid as you may ride into the warden who will want you to buy a day pass.

Blurboy
    Free Member

Hi, we are around about 9 at the top of the hill by the church alternately go to Everytrail.com and query for Woburn. I have posted some routes you can download for GPS if that helps.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Woburn Sands this Sunday?’ is closed to new replies.