Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Woburn back wood
  • flap_jack
    Free Member

Not been for a while. Returned this afternoon. Crikey.

Those trails will now live only in our dreams.

Thank you, trail pixies, who magicked them from nowhere, but back to dust they have returned.

Is there a condolences book ?

maxtorque

They’ll be back. It’ll take a while, but they’ll be back!

paul123
    Free Member

Is this the church side?

Have they been flattened.

kimbers

Signs up said there was gonna be a lot of felling on that side 🙁

flap_jack
    Free Member

Oh yes. Big skies. Some bits still left, but even they dead-end. The roller-coaster area is still intact, though.

maxtorque

lots of felling going on on both sides of the Church road:

some of the classics gone completely in the backwoods:

Some just end in the middle of nowhere now:

When the logging’s finished and the wood machines have dragged all the timber out, we’ll have to start putting some of them back eh!

hatter

Amen to that, had some cracking evening’s there over the past 2 summers.

paulneenan76
    Free Member

Not been that side for two weeks so not sure what’s gone but it happened before and trails were cut back in, even so, a shame if some of the old classics are lost.

kimbers

such a shame, been loving my night rides

has the serial killer tin shack survived?

maxtorque

Tin shack still standing, but trails that pass it have both gone…. ;-(

Bagstard
    Free Member

Nooooooooooooo!

flap_jack
    Free Member

Replanting next winter according to the signs, so it’ll be a while before they can return. However, yesterday east side of the Woburn road was running well and looked very unridden – I got brambled within an inch of my life !

paulneenan76
    Free Member

Thorn Trail, Flap Jack? If so, it made a prickly pear out of me a couple months back!

heavy_rat
    Free Member

Thorn trail is barely passable now. That’s the downside to having a waymarked route, every else becomes neglected 🙁

paulneenan76
    Free Member

I’d tend to agree, heavy rat. Though i thinks it more lack of use rather than maintenance.

heavy_rat
    Free Member

Definitely lack of use. I can think of 3 or 4 sections of trail that used to feature on all my rides that are now lost

grahamt1980

Thorn trail just needs a couple of hours with a saw.
    Will try to get over there soon as i don’t want to lose that trail

flap_jack
    Free Member

Thorn trail was more gorse. Not really ‘lost’, fortunately. However, the footpath (ahem) further north east was awkward to navigate. Is that generally now considered out of bounds ?

grahamt1980

Depends on if someone shouts at you or not. a lot of those trails just need a prune no one ever complained at me when i ride them

grahamt1980

Bottom 2/3rds of thorn trail are now rideable. Will need an hour or so with sharp objects to finish it off

paulneenan76
    Free Member

Good job grahamt1980, appreciate it and will certainly get on it on my next night ride.

The footpath north east – this by the camels gulley?

heavy_rat
    Free Member

Wel done Graham, very much appreciated

grahamt1980

Just needs finishing and a couple of little bits. Unfortunately the worst bit is left as i didn’t want to have people start a cleared trail and run into crap further down. Hence starting backwards. Going to try and get over one evening as i reckon could get away with a petrol hedge trimmer at night

heavy_rat
    Free Member

I always used to like this section, but it’s very overgrown now, must get down there with some shears

https://www.strava.com/segments/10857842 — Runway single

paulneenan76
    Free Member

Bluebell wood springs to mind Heavy Rat, but don’t quote me. Used to ride a nice trail near there which cut up through the golf course, through the tree lines and then out into a field and down to the road 200m or so before the Birch. We then used to go cross country on bridleways to The Green Man at Eversholt then loop back. Again, need to get out on some of the trails less ridden.

alric
    Free Member

if theres some simple trail maintenance needed, like sawing /pruning, I may be headed that way while I’m off the bike.
    I’d need a gpx or similar

heavy_rat
    Free Member

The one I’m thinking of use to go up a concrete path to a gate. But before the gate you take a 90 degree turn left. After 100 meters or so it splits either straight on or right. Going right was a twisty single track section that end up by the gate on the other side of the road just up from the Birch. If you took the straight on way you ended up in the same place at the bottom but no where nears as fun.

paulneenan76
    Free Member

That sounds very much like the same one. I’ll need to go and ride it and report back!

heavy_rat
    Free Member
    kimbers

Graham give us a shout when you are heading over to go trimming

flap_jack
    Free Member

Longside felling getting worse, and the trail getting worn in places. Couldn’t work out why, until overtaken by an E-bike today, clearly not limited, don’t know how many there are but explains ‘uphill braking bumps’!

timmys

Can someone give me an update on Woburn please? Thinking about heading there on Saturday as I potentially have a few hours more to play with than usual and I’m bored of Chicksands!

Is it worth heading over to the Back Wood / church side at all? Other than the Rollercoaster block is there anything else still ride-able? The names of any trails still in existence would be much appreciated.

I’m also not very up to date on the official Longslade trail – the blog says there is a diversion around “Chase Porter & Spuds/Criss-cross Gully” – other than that is is actually a complete loop now? Last time I went about 6 months ago it seemed to stop after Jamster.

paulneenan76
    Free Member

It is all a complete loop. Parts of criss cross were ok when I rode last but suggest heeding the warnings. So, Longslade, for the most part, is fine. Any trails toward and off the top of the bike park are fine – but these are the extremely steep ones to the left before you drop to the bike park (cant remember the names). Empire lines and even Peacocks are fine. Over the road for Camels Gulley and Thorn Trail are fine. The Golf Trail was fine recently but thats it for the most part until you get to the Church and the lines down to London Lane climb – so Rollercoaster and Hogans Run. Trails on the other side of Sandy Lane toward Woburn Sands are fine too.

Yes the felling has been impactful but it is what it is.

Additionally, you can cross the A5 and hit Rushmere too.

jairaj

Graham / Kimbers, more than happy to lend a hand to help sort the trails out, feel free to give me shout next time you’re out.

timmys

Very helpful thanks!

There’s a few there I’d forgotten about or were unaware of (Camels Gulley?). Haven’t ridden the Thorn Trail in years – not sure I ever worked out which direction it was meant to be ridden in actually (if any).

kimbers

Was out riding last night

There’s been even more felling

Even in three lonslade trail

What worries me is that when they felled and replanted opposite the church car park it was then (and still is) off limits to bikes coz of the saplings, if that’s the case again there’s not gonna be much to ride at all !

Tail pixies been busy elsewhere though, some new jumps and doubles appearing

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Woburn back wood’ is closed to new replies.