Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Wobbly tyres
  • Stevet1
    Free Member

My rear tyre has developed a wobble. It feels a bit like riding over an egg every rotation of the wheel and if I look down its wobbling from side to side. Rim is perfectly true, and the line on the tyre seems to follow the rim profile so it appears to be mounted correctly. Whats the verdict with these – manufacturing defect or wear and tear?
    Tyre is a Conti mtn king 2 protection black chilli blah blah.

medoramas
    Free Member

I’d suggest to take it off, re-fit and inflate to maximum pressure and leave it like that overnight.

“Tyre ironing” 😆

karlsbug
    Free Member

My cheap Conti Baron did this, never cured it. Baron (cheap ones) especially susceptible I think.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

I’ve got some Conti Race Kings which I use for the summer which do the same thing – have tried everything but still got a wobble. I thought it was just me…

ninfan
    Free Member

Not properly mounted

As with so many things in life, it’s amazing how much better things fit if you make sure the rim is well lubricated with soapy water first.

honourablegeorge

Saw the thread title, and thought “Continental”

They have shit sidewalls, they deform, and you have a wobbly tyre.

Klunk
    Free Member

I’ve got a mudx with the same, the pump it up hard never worked, you only really notice on smooth surfaces so I’m not overly bothered.

wiggles
    Free Member

Yep if a conti it has twisted.

nikk
    Free Member

Conti had a problem with production that caused this. I believe they should have fixed it by now, but the affected tyres are still out there. Send it back to them.

takisawa2

I’ve a 29″ Nobby Nic thats like that.

I’d even thought about building a wheel with an opposing buckle just to run it.
    Then I just bought another tyre, & put an end to such daft thoughts. 🙂

Stevet1
    Free Member

Took it off and refitted it over the weekend. Wobble still there. Actualy its more like a bulge, put it in my truing stand and its about 10mm bulger over about 80mm of tyre.
    Showed the bike shop and they reckoned its time to buy a new tyre – bit gutted as theres loads of tread left on it and they’er £50 a go. Hey-ho.

northernmatt

I know a few people that had issues with Continental tyres (Rubber Queens mainly) bulging, and in once case delaminating. They just returned them to the shop and got a free replacement as it’s an issue they (Continental) were aware of.

milky1980
    Free Member

I had that problem with a Rubber Queen (might be the one NorthernMatt’s on about!), deformed while riding at Chicksands to the extent it wouldn’t go through the forks but was still at full pressure. The resulting fall left me with broken ribs on my right side, was a very painful drive back to Cardiff and work the next day before I called ‘mercy’ and went off on the sick for 3 weeks. Boss wasn’t happy. Especially as I’d booked the two days off to do a session with Jedi the day before I went to Chicksands 😆

Sent it off to Cambrian Tyres (Conti UK importer) who sent me a new one. A known problem with various tyres that haven’t cured properly was what I was told.

soobalias
    Free Member

seen similar reports with lots of different tyre brands/models, wheel fine, tyre ‘fitted’ properly to the rim and a huge wobble.

heavy landing?

Stevet1
    Free Member

heavy landing?

Possibly. I ride a hardtail and am no stranger to the odd drop and jump… I first noticed it after I cracked a Stans Flow rim – Replaced the rim but noticed later the wobble/bulge was still there. Any case LBS thinks that as the tyre is around 12 months old it’s unlikely to be a warranty job, although they have suggested taking a picture and emailing Conti.

Stevelol
    Free Member

I have had this since it was new on one of my Specialized Purgatory tyres, 27.5 control grid casing It has been removed and remounted many times and I know how to mount tyres. You can barely feel it when on the road and especially not off-road so I’ve just ignored it. But it’s definltey annoying and in hindsight I should have taken it back.

jedi

i ave had two maxxis tyres de form in 2 weeks
    one ardent and one hr2. one landing a small jump whilst demonstrating and the other yesterday of a 6ft drop. smooth touch down etc..

sgn23
    Free Member

I’ve just got my second wobbly Continental Trail King (FKA Rubber Queen). This tyre was a warranty replacement for the first one. Like the OP, the rim is straight and the tyre bead is sitting evenly. Seems like they haven’t solved the manufacturing issue.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I have a Hans dampf with a little bulge in it. Makes the rim look like its dinged. I can’t feel it riding though.

fathomer

I’ve got two Spec Purgatory’s that I’m pretty sure are mounted properly but have wobbles. The Buther and Ground Controls I’ve got are fine!

Stevet1
    Free Member

LBS kindly replaced my tyre with a new one – mounted and inflated with no issues and no wobbles 😀 . First ride out on it I slashed the sidewall and put a big ding in my rim 😥

Just about got it to seal up after straightening the rim, but now it’s got a bit of a wobble again – not as bad as last time so I’m living with it.

sillyoldman

Same issue here on a Maxxis HRII C3 29×2.3. Tread still good, so a bit of a pisser…

nevermindthebutter
    Free Member

It’s a standard Continental complaint… warranty it if you can.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Wobbly tyres’ is closed to new replies.