Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Wobbly Helmetcam (atc5k) how to sort it
  • wildrnes
    Free Member

my fantastic wife got me an atc5k for winterval, took it out to llandegla yesterday and it works fantasticly, the ony issues I have are
    #1 how in the name of heck do you fit an atc5k to a giro Xen helmet so it doesn’t wobble all over the show (or pull your helmet down over your eyes)
    #2 how do you use it for recording at night? I tried to use the lights from my ayup intermediate and all it does is record a spot of light

cheers for the help

Matt

Tracker1972
    Free Member

I got the atac3k for crimbo and was wondering how well it would sit on the helmet, Giro Hex though so flatter sections. Have you used the velcro patch? Or stuck on any of the rubber patches to pad it out at all?

Was also wondering if it would work with lights at night with my AyUps. Did you have just your intermediate light? Was it mounted on your helmet (think I might get camera on top then light low on the front). Was a bit bothered that it might not be sensitive enough to pick up much though.

wildrnes
    Free Member

no way i would try and attach it just using velcro tab
    i used the velcro straps with the rubber tab underneath, i cannot use the rubber strap without taking the peak off the lid
    (we got a fairly good result by attaching it to the seat tube and facing it backwards)
    i also have an ayup wide, but I don’t know if I want that one on my noggin

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

There is play in the mount regardless of how you attach the mount to the helmet. I put a sweetie wrapper in the mount to take up the play, and applied liberal amounts of duct tape.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Just the velcro tab? Bloody hell no 😯 Did mean it as well as a way of firming up/padding the gap beneath the mount.

Sliver of something to firm up the clip in bit seems like a good plan Stuart.

wildrnes
    Free Member

hmm will have a play tonight and see what i can do to get it more stable

shame there are no instructions on the interweb/in the actual instructions

anyone know how they mounted it on the mag reviews?

will
    Free Member

I have the same issue with mine. I just tightened the velcro strap, with the rubber section underneath, seems very stirdy, but once actually on the helmet isn’t that good.

It helps if your helmet is really tight to, stop that moving also.

I’m going to put something soft under the rubber pad to make it more secure i think. I find it works fine at trail centres, but when you actually get some route terrain it is rather bouncy.

GreenK
    Free Member

I have an ATC3K. I use a USE Joystick MaXx helmet mount. There is a tripod screw hole in the bottom of the ATC3K that happens to fit the nylon bolt used in the Joystick MaXx helmet mount. I don’t know if there is one on the ATC5K. I did have to trim the bolt length to suit my Giro Xen.

This is it Exposure MaXx Helmet Mount.

The only issue I have now is how to stop the clacking noise that I think is caused by the helmet itself.

aP
    Free Member

I tried mine out last weekend and it was a bit “jiggly”, I was thinking of putting some foam padding under the nose of the camera and getting a couple of elastic bands to hold things steady.
    Did you use the nadlebar mount to fix it your seatpost? I reckon that I’d probably run it that way a lot if I culd find a good way to fix it.

wildrnes
    Free Member

yes handlebar mount for seatpost, only issue is it keeps clacking my leg

interesting idea with the helmet mount

Gephaudio
    Free Member

My darling and fantastic wife also got me one of these for Christmas. I trid two road helemets (Limar and Briko) but with little success. However, I have attached to a TSG Evo BMX helmet with the helmet attachments and zip ties. I think the helmet cam is designed for this type of helmet in mind as the rubber band also works well.

Denis99
    Free Member

Yes, I also had the 3K version as a Christmas present. I just read the thread and got the USE helmet light bracket out for a try.

It works 🙂

But, you could do the same without the USE helmet light bracket – you just need a long enough bolt and a large washer.

Bolt (preferably with a spring washer) through the large washer and then threaded up into the camera itself. I’ll give the new mod a try tomorrow.

wildrnes
    Free Member

hmm just a touch worried about having a big metal bolt above my head, kinda negates having the old helmet on there eh

Gephaudio
    Free Member

hmm just a touch worried about having a big metal bolt above my head, kinda negates having the old helmet on

… may be a bike version of a Prince Albert 😈

Denis99
    Free Member

Hope these images explain a little better – don’t worry about the big bolt above your head, I’m more worried about the comedy off’s than the big tumbles.

Looks neater as well.

wildrnes
    Free Member

still a little worried about crush damage on the helmet

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Wobbly Helmetcam (atc5k) how to sort it’ is closed to new replies.