Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Wobbly freehub (Bontrager hub)
  • sam_underhill

I’ve got a cheapy bontrager duster wheelset that has ended up on my pub bike.  The rear free-hub has got a noticeable amount of play, especially with a big cassette on it, accentuating the problem.  It’s definitely the freehub and not the axle in the bearings.

It’s a cup and cone hub which makes me think it’s shimano-ish style but it doesn’t have the double axle lock nut.  On the drive side there’s a nut inside a flange with a couple of flat edges all under a top cap, then a final external nut whichis the axle interface to the drop out.

I know that sounds vague, but I can’t find any info about the hub.  Anyone got any idea on how the freehub comes off (shimano style with a 10mm hex?), if the play can be removed with adjustment, or if it needs replacement.  In which case, would a regular shimano freehub fit?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Likely an allen key, maybe 12mm. Unlikely you’ll be able to adjust it.

sam_underhill

On the adjustment front, as I suspected.

I guess I need to try and find the freehub part number and call a trek dealer to find out the cost of a freehub.

I assume, as usual, a spare part from trek will cost the earth and it’ll be cheaper to buy a whole new wheel.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    sam_underhill

Ah ha…. just checked the trek archive site for the bike that the wheels came from, and the hub is listed as a shimano M525 hub.  http://si.shimano.com/pdfs/ev/EV-FH-M525-2067B.pdf

That exploded diagram matches what I’m seeing when I took it apart (and no…. I didn’t notice at the time if it said bontrager or shimano on the hub shell!).

bigyan
    Free Member

Have you had it apart yet? Bontrager do normal cup and cone hubs with shimano style freehubs, they also do cartridge bearing hubs with locknuts which look like a cup and cone hub from the outside and the shimano style freehub has a machined seat to press the cartridge bearing into rather than a curved ball bearing race. They also do “proper” cartridge bearing hubs with pawl freehubs.

bigyan
    Free Member

Woops missed your last reply

FH-M525-A

Y3SP98100 Complete Freewheel Body

11 Y3SP98110 Freewheel Body Unit

FH-M525-SL

Y-3SP 98060 Complete Freewheel Body

Y-3SP 98070 Freewheel Body Unit

FH-M525

Y-3A3 98020 Complete Freewheel Body w/Right Hand Dust Cap

sam_underhill

It’s definitely a cup and cone with individual ball bearings.

I put it back together so I could use it whilst I researched how to remove the freehub.

Trek bike listing from where the wheels are from:

https://archive.trekbikes.com/us/en/2012/Trek/lush_sl#/us/en/2012/Trek/lush_sl/details

Hopefully, this means that a 10mm hex will take it apart (I think that’s what’s required for shimano), and I’ll be able to track down a replacement freehub or whole hub (sometimes just as cheap).

sam_underhill

Thank @bigyan

I’ll see if I can work out which version of the M525 it is then!

myopic
    Free Member

Sure it’s not a bent axle making it look like a freehub wobble?

sam_underhill

@myopic.  99% certain.  With the axle removed, there’s play in the freehub.

sam_underhill

Removing the layer of much reveals the Shimano part number! Who’s have thought it?! M-525-SL

Looks like the -A and -SL are interchangeable internals. New hub ordered for a complete parts swap.

Thanks all, lesson learned, don’t assume anything, even when every other part on the wheelset is bonty, it doesn’t mean the one part you are looking at is.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Wobbly freehub (Bontrager hub)’ is closed to new replies.