• This topic has 27 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by ton.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Wkd in Leeds next weekend decent ales/curry houses and possible live music venue
  • postierich
    Free Member

Heading up for a lads weekend celebrating our 50th year on this planet got a train pub crawl thing going on this Saturday
    http://realaletrail.net
    So we need pubs to visit on The Friday before a good old curry we hare staying at the Hilton near the Station.

Saturday looking for some night life with some live music later on

So Leeds people whats the craic 🙂

rogermoore

You could go to the Scarborough Taps, The Head of Steam and the Leeds Brewery Tap finishing with a curry at Tharavadu on the Friday night and you won’t have walked 500 meters from the Hilton.
    RM.

Mugboo

Friends of Ham ain’t cheap but the beers good.
    North Bar is my favourite.
    There’s Brewdog too. Whitelocks, The Grove.

Akhars for a curry. Also Bundobust for street food and good beer.

john_drummer
    Free Member

For live music there’s The Grove, Duck & Drake, Oporto, upstairs at Milo, Nation of Shopkeepers, O2, Beckett University, First Direct Arena and many more – seriously good city for live music. Best bet is to look up the Leeds Gig Guide
    http://www.leedsgigs.co.uk/guide.html

ton

best place for the kind of beer you like is at present Tapped on boar lane.
    Head of steam in ok too. also The Hop which is just behind your hotel.

postierich
    Free Member

Cheers Tony !
    John Drummer any rock indie bands on the Friday or Saturday?

john_drummer
    Free Member

Neon Dolls + 2 supports at Verve on the friday if that rings your bell: https://www.facebook.com/NeonDolls/

crybabycry + support at The Wardrobe on the saturday: https://soundcloud.com/crybabycryuk

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

North Bar and Smokestack are my faves.

As suggested, Akbar’s is good – get the Family Naan if you’re feeling hungry!

postierich
    Free Member

Anything else we should do in Leeds ?

Pyro

Tharavadu curry house on Mill Hill near the station is very good, and not as run-of-the-mill as a few others. Bundobust just up from there is good for street food and a few beers. Tapped has a cracking selection of ales on.

Bar-wise, Smokestack, Mook, North Bar and the HiFi Club are my fairly regular haunts.

woody2000

Have a wander to Northern Monk, have a Mocha Porter 🙂
    http://www.northernmonkbrewco.com/old-flax-store

Don’t speak or make eye contact with anyone until you get to Mirfield on the real ale train. In fact, play it safe and don’t get off the train until Mirfield 🙂

Tapped has a cracking selection of ales on.

Cracking pizzas too

Mugboo

+1 for Smokestacks, best place to dad dance in Leeds

allan23
    Free Member

Nawaabs on Wellington Street isn’t too bad, work Chrimbo Dinner was there, just pre-ordered a whole mix of starters and mains and everyone just dug in and got a bit of every dish.

http://www.nawaableeds.com/

nealglover
    Free Member

Shabab curry house, opposite the Scarborough Taps near the station.

whytesky
    Free Member

+1 for Akbars.

+1 also for the family naan. It’s like a curtain! Seriously. Size wise, not taste wise. Well, I assume not taste wise, I’ve never tasted a curtain. Well, not a fabric one anyway.

ElShalimo

My advice, don’t do the ale trail. It used to be great but it is so popular now that it can be a really crap day out. Lots of hen & stag dos on it and frequent problems with overcrowding and sometimes fisticuffs in the pubs. A lot of the locals don’t like it and it can ruin a nice day out. The pub by the tracks is Mirfield is crap too.

You’ll be better off getting a train to Huddersfield where there are loads of real ale pubs; or train to Todmorden, Hebden Bridge & Sowerby Bridge where you can enjoy yourself with less muppets and have a leisurely drinking session in each town. Or even just explore Leeds more.

I’m not being a killjoy but over the years the ale trail has, pardon the pun, gone a bit off. You do see BT Police occasionally at the stations too so that should indicate that its not all peace, love and real ale. Its a shame ‘cos I used to love it.

postierich
    Free Member

Doubt there will be many Hen/stag dos in January but good call must admit I would favour one town!

ads678

Tharavadu is an awesome curry, might need to book though.

CHB

So many good pubs in Leeds:
    North Bar
    Crowd of Favours
    Whitelocks
    The Ship
    Lamb and Flag
    The Palace
    Duck and Drake (music…acquired taste!)
    The Pack Horse
    The Angel

That’s less than half a mile of Leeds centre pubs and should see you drunk on nice beer and not stabbed or molested 🙂

ton

beer train is crap Rich.

Doubt there will be many Hen/stag dos in January but good call must admit I would favour one town!

get train to Huddersfield. best pubs being,
    the grove
    the sportsman
    rat and ratchet
    kings head
    magic rock tap (owned by a sweary northerner).

ElShalimo

@Ton – don’t forget The Star near Rat & Ratchet and the Slubbers Arms
    (Also Bar Maroc surprisingly have 3 or 4 real ales on and they do great pizzas too)

Rich – this could be useful

postierich
    Free Member

Cheers guys I have linked this thread to my weekend drinking companions!

Mugboo

The Grove in Huddersfield is the best pub ever.

postierich
    Free Member

bookmarked not far from the station by the looks of it!

Digby

Best live venue in Leeds is currently the Brudenell Social Club Leeds 6
    Not too far out of the city centre (just up the hill from the ‘YTV studios’)

Good selection of beers etc at reasonable prices, Pies and a good PA system.

I frequently make the trip from Sheffield.

Mind you … I still miss the Duchess of York on Vicar Lane …

rico205
    Free Member

otley run is always a laugh

The Beginner’s Guide to the Otley Run

theres a few others on the route that aren’t in the guide

postierich
    Free Member

Thanks for all the suggestions guys we must have tried 15 different pubs only duff one was the Friends of Ham surly staff and really expensive cheese /ham boards.
    Duck and Drake had a great band playing on the Friday night ended up in Stone Rosies till 3.30am
    Saturday we did an alternative ale trail to Saltaire and getting on the steam train to Haworth serving Taylors on the train. Visited the Fox in shipley which was good after a few at the Saltaire Brewery :-)Saturday night consisted of some pubs behind the Hilton forget there names Head of Steam again before heading to the Shed bar for late night drinking 🙂

ton

quite good Leeds nowadays……..and i am loathe to say that.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Wkd in Leeds next weekend decent ales/curry houses and possible live music venue’ is closed to new replies.