Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Witold Pilecki
  • theotherjonv

I’d never heard of him, but he was mentioned on R4 this evening as a book about him has just won the Costa book of the year.

I’ve since been reading about him and on the 75th anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz I thought others might like to hear about the man who spent 2.5 years in Auschwitz having volunteered to be captured and go in there to gather intelligence on what the Nazis were doing. Who subsequently fought against the post-war communist infiltration, was betrayed by his country, tortured and executed as a spy, buried in an unmarked grave, and had his life covered up until the 90’s and the fall of the iron curtain.

Just wow.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witold_Pilecki

trap6
    Free Member

Thank you jonv,that was very interesting reading and very sad.
    I’ve an in- law that was a partisan in south-eastern Poland who died for his country by the hands of the Nazis,we have only got to hear the story last November of how he died,sad story all-round for the Pols.

mucker

A very brave and honourable man. I find it incredibly humbling to find out what some people were prepared to do during that period and saddened that today as then they are extinguished by the powers to be when they they become inconvenient truths.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Witold Pilecki’ is closed to new replies.