Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Wish me luck. My back's just gone.
  • SaxonRider

F’in hell. It’s been bugging me for a few days now, but I thought by managing it with ibuprofen and heat, I would be able to carry on. After all, I have pulled through two years without more than a day lost to a sore back. But holy jeez, it’s bad today.

I got into work and sat at my desk, took 400mgs of ibu, and started to write. By 10:30, it was getting uncomfortable, by 11:30 it was pretty bad, and by 12:30 I left for home. Now I am on the bed with a heating pad, having taken my next allowable dose of NSAID.

I NEED to get over this quickly, or I shall go mad.

And be on here constantly, of course.

jimdubleyou

Osteopath?

fasthaggis

Do you think it might be the strain of leaning too close to the screen while still typing?

Just a thought.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Sandwich

You might want to try 10 mins per hour of cold (bag of frozen veg wrapped in a tea towel) to reduce the swelling.
    A spot of Osteopath with acupuncture can also work wonders, you’ve got to get there first mind!

footflaps

Mine goes into Spasm occasionally, normally a combination of heat, Ibuprofen and Cocodamol sort it out after a few days of being crippled.

sandwicheater

You need to head to the Homepopathic A&E, stat!

[video]https://youtu.be/HMGIbOGu8q0[/video]

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Sympathy mate. Best of luck,

perchypanther
    Free Member

My back’s just gone.

Just front it out. We’re on your side. Stay off your bottom and you’ll soon be on top. Hope to see you around. 🙂

Keep your chin up and try not to get too down.

RustySpanner

Good luck!

Just up and about after a month.
    It’s horrible.

The only thing that helped was physio and a low dose of Amitriptalyne at night.
    Codeine was horrible, just made me feel sick.

Healing vibes, matey and once again, good luck!

chewkw
    Free Member

If you have a back problem you should not sit down to work or type for more than 40 mins at a time.

It is better off if you can vary your position and keep moving every 30 mins.

Get one of those table with adjustable height from Ikea as you can adjust the table to standing height and wind down for sitting height.

I have lower back problem where I cannot sit for too long …

imnotverygood

Keep moving op. Don’t lie down.

bigG
    Free Member

Last time it happened to me (a few weeks ago) I used my wife’s TENS machine and it sorted me out double quick. If you know someone that has one I’d borrow it. It’s a weird sensation but delivered great results

However you sort it out, good luck. I know how bad it can be

swedishmatt
    Free Member

Get to a physio who does dry needling. You sound like me before Christmas. Unfortunately, sometimes it has to take the time ti takes to settle down as there’s no way to speed it up.

Heat pads, cold pads, don’t mess it up with attempting to stretch….

remember dry needling, it is **** revolutionary maaan.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

When you have it under control, maybe have a look at the chair you have at work.

Pooley
    Free Member

Some well intended advice above, but everyones ‘issues’ are different. You may be able to sort out a front mech on here, but if you’ve serious medical problems, see a professional.
    For me, advice, some manipulation, and stretching, sorted a back muscular pain.

Dave

Klunk
    Free Member

I had to have a morphine injection once at work when my back went into spasm as I couldn’t get up off the floor. the pain just vanished in a puff of magic 🙂 Had a very floaty afternoon. Hope you get it sorted OP wouldn’t wish that kind of pain on anyone.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Go to your GP and ask for a recommended physiotherapist.

Forget osteopathy, chiropractioners, kinesiologists and all that, waste of time.

I speak from experience, having suffered severe lower back problems some years ago.

Trust me, I’m an ex-patient. 😉

hammyuk
    Free Member

Brufen is shoite – co-codamol is ok but you’ll hit the threshold fairly quick.
    Paracetamol on its own is better – hospitals now split them as the codeine dose is higher per day.
    Then anything from Naproxen, Baclofen, amatryptaline, etc will help.
    See the Doc though first.
    But seriously – lay off the brufen – it is the nastiest stuff for your stomach.
    26yr long term sufferer here.

chewkw
    Free Member

Or if you have a traditional Thai (must be proper) masseuse or masseur nearby then pay her or him to give you proper massage for few sessions. i.e. this is a proper massage and not those hooker carnal type of massage btw.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Forget osteopathy

has worked for me, but whatever. tired of commenting on it now.

when I had piroformis syndrome, which is like sciatica pain, I used these heat pads on my lower back and they allowed me 2 days of walking in the lake district plus 5 hours standing at a crooked angle (train was rammed) on the train back to london.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ThermaCare-Lower-Back-Heat-Wrap/dp/B002EIQOOW

bought one of these before xmas for some back pain I thought I was going to have to see someone over, but only a few goes on it sorted it out. Painful to start with but you have to learn to relax your muscles into it :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001V5INF2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

jimdubleyou

If you put any store by what the NHS say:

Does osteopathy work?
    There’s good evidence that osteopathy is effective in treating persistent lower back pain. The National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) recommends it as a treatment for this condition.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Osteopathy/Pages/Introduction.aspx

SaxonRider

I take it that diclophenic is no longer an option?

molgrips
    Free Member

Good luck, let me know if there is anything with which I can help. Even grammar.

ctk
    Free Member

Do core strength exercises to support back long term.

Don’t rush to get better you may cause more damage.

chewkw
    Free Member

I remember the worst day of my lower back pain where my entire body was practically locked up. i.e. a small movement and my entire body hurts like hell. Carrying a 500 grams bag of sugar was like shouldering two double-decker buses. I was walking like a robot …

The pain was second to toothache …

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

and don’t take too much ibuprofen, especially if you are Scottish. My mate did for wisdom teeth recovery and ended up pretty ill, apparently people with some strain of a northern european gene have problems with it. Now he is being very careful with what he eats as it messed up his stomach.

Turmeric can be used as an anti-inflammatory but when I tried it I found I stunk up the place just as if I had had a curry, although obviously I had missed the pleasure of having a curry 🙁 Mix it wih a glass of milk, my osteopath said – but what does he know ?

mrsfry
    Free Member

This is how i feel knowing that SaxonRider has put his back out

Told him to stop visiting those underground twerking clubs, but he had to raise money for the kitten orphange before the big evil corporation knocked it down.

He’ll always be a champ to me. No matter what position he is in.

SaxonRider

Well at least I took in £54.30 for the little kittens before I went down.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Careful with ibuprofen.. It can royally screw your stomach over and result in lasting issues

boxelder

Google MacKenzie technique. Sounds like a disc problem caused by too much sitting down.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Google MacKenzie technique.

that’s what the rack in my second link is for, very effective, in fact surprisingly so.

boxelder

And visit an osteopath – the detractors above must think it’s something to do with homeopathy. Osteopaths use massage, manipulation etc to sort/straighten out your spine and exercises to strengthen your core. Unless you think it’s just muscles – in which case see a physio (but they only ever made mine worse). The first physio I saw did tests and ruled out a disc problem, making it worse – the associated sciatica had numbed the nerve, so no response. The Osteopth, without touching me, diagnosed the herniated disc, and which disc it was, 6 months before an MRI confirmed it all. Probably just a fluke……….

teasel
    Free Member

I’ve had a lower back issue for some years, so long I can’t even remember when it started. I’ve visited docs and physios and although the latter helped with some moves and exercises, it never really went away. The pain could floor me at its worst.

Just recently I used a foam roller on my piriformis (a far cheaper tennis ball would’ve done the same) and it’s a bloody revelation. It hurts to treat but the result is astounding.

I’m a bit surprised any of the physios didn’t look into the piriformis – maybe a good one would have – but it’s quite weird how the body is connected and how weakness or damage in one area can affect a seemingly unrelated muscle.

Not claiming this is what you have, just lining up to tell my cool story…

hammyuk
    Free Member

I’m right handed and larger visually on that side BUT something I never noticed is that I’m more heavily defined on the left side with a greater muscle density. It wasn’t until I found the right person to treat me that she pointed a lot of things out.
    26+yrs of pain has caused my body to compensate due to the majority of the spasms and damage affecting what is supposedly “stronger” side. This in turn has affected how different muscles “sit” – sorting these out has been worse than a lot of the “usual’ pain!

MrWoppit
    Free Member

And visit an osteopath – the detractors above must think it’s something to do with homeopathy.

Osteopath manipulation can correct dysfunctionality in the short term, but offers no post-treatment maintenance program. So you’ll find that you just spend more money repeating your visits for the same temporary relief.

An osteopath is all about bone manipulation (typically, the spine).

A physiotherapist is concerned with all the other functionalities as well – ligaments, sinews, muscles, nervous system and so on, so is able to integrate knowledge and healing across different, interconnected body systems. The physio will also recommend injury-specific exercises to do post-treatment, to ensure continued maintenance…

boxelder

Mr Woppit – you’re describing a chiropractor

mrsfry
    Free Member

Can’t you get one of those ladys at your club to walk on your back?

dti

cold better than heat in my recent experience.
    keep on moving – ibuporofen gel plus frozen peas helped.

shermer75
    Free Member

Sorry to hear about your back OP. As above rest is not the answer- keep it moving. See a physio. If it’s an ongoing thing then it may be worth looking into your posture at work and the possibility of adding something to your weekly or even daily routine like swimming or yoga. Pain relief will help in the short term but you need to get that back moving again.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Wish me luck. My back's just gone.’ is closed to new replies.