• This topic has 15 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by hora.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Wisdom (or otherwise) of buying end-of-model-range new car.
  • MikeT-23
    Free Member

Nissan are seeing off the old X-Trail model and introducing a whole new model (slightly bigger version of the new Quashqai)in July.
    I quite like the outgoing one and wondered if there’d be any advantage in getting one before the switchover.
    Are car manufacturers/dealers likely to heavily discount such models to shift them? Obviously there will be older technology and higher emissions to consider in the previous model, but I can live with that.
    What other considerations should be taken into account, if any, in such circumstances?

Cheers

tightywighty
    Free Member

Towards the end of a models life it tends to have problems ironed out, so buying at the end of a models lifecycle makes sense if you’re keeping it for a while.

My Dad does this, we both ended up owning mk2.5 Focus Zetecs at the same time. His (one of the last produced) has some extra stuff compared to mine (one of the first facelifted mk2s), better quality interior, some minor fixes, virtually no rattles etc. It’s mainly stuff like on his the radio surround is made or coated with a different silver plastic finish which hasn’t worn away at all. Mine did straight away and looks shitty. Obviously people complained and they changed it. Likewise it has helicopter tape where a cable in the boot rubs the paint which mine doesn’t.
    He also got a cracking deal on it as the dealer was trying to shift it to make way for the new one. I guess the down side will be extra depreciation.

Duffer
    Free Member

We did exactly this a couple of years ago; we got an end of line Skoda Octavia VRS for much the same price as a basic 1.6 version of the same car. It’s also full of extras that were completely free, such as the satelite navigation, DAB radio, leather interior, parking sensors, et cetera.

Well worth considering, in my opinion. Unless you’re the kind of person that would get upset at not having the newest shape one…

PePPeR

I’d buy one without a problem, as long as the money is right.

If you’re keeping it long term, then no worries, short term then the depreciation is going to be a lot more.

olly2097
    Free Member

I bought a end of the line fiesta in 2008. It was filthy cheap and was fully loaded with options.

A friend at the time bought the new current fiesta. paid thousands more and had a lower spec.

go for it.

aracer
    Free Member

Or just buy a s/h one and take advantage of the depreciation hit

molgrips
    Free Member

Are car manufacturers/dealers likely to heavily discount such models to shift them?

This is the general tactic, I think. You get more toys and they cost less – because the cost of R&D for the car (or at least the changes since the last model of it) have been absorbed.

If you want to sell it in a few years it’ll be competing with all the new model ones that are only slightly younger so the value will be lower. But it depends on the car I reckon.

Passats didn’t change much visually or mechanically (and barely at all internally) the last facelift, so my 2006 one still looks fairly current. However go back a year to the model before that and they look really old fashioned.

However some new models are a significant jump. The newer model Prius is not only better looking than mine, but it’s quite a bit more powerful, more economical and more refined, a much better car.

richmtb

If the price is right and you like the car then go for it. The new model isn’t always an improvement anyway.

aracer
    Free Member

Not even the ECU?

djglover
    Free Member

You can often negotiate huge discounts off the new model too. Offset against depreciation could be a false economy…

righog
    Free Member

I have recently bought (leased) a new Qashqai, I really wanted to buy the last of the old model but I could not find one at any kind of discount price, It seemed to me that Nissan had done a very good job at managing the transition without having to discount the outgoing model too much.

This may have been due to building the Qashqai in the UK and being able to control the stock very well, you may be luckier with the X trail.

MikeT-23
    Free Member

Sound advice from all. Thank you.

ssbnreso
    Free Member

I work for a large Japanese motor manufacturer in the north east of England.
    I wouldn’t buy any car in the last or first 6 months of its build!

br
    Free Member

Are car manufacturers/dealers likely to heavily discount such models to shift them? Obviously there will be older technology and higher emissions to consider in the previous model, but I can live with that.
    What other considerations should be taken into account, if any, in such circumstances?

A fair few years ago we bought an end-model Freelander, got the top-of-the-range for the base price (£20k rather than £30k) – and the new replacement one would have been £10k more for a lower spec. Plus the finance deal offered meant it worked out cheaper than spending our cash (interest rates were far higher then).

Not sure it was any better/worse built, but ran the car for 7 years and +100k before replacing with another one.

hora
    Free Member

OP why not?

Ring around a few localish main dealers. Ask them for their best price on one of these. I’d be prepared to drive upto 30miles for a few thousand..

end of models tend to have promo’s etc and pre-reg’d stock. So if you shop around…

hora
    Free Member

Actually- why not 100miles? There will be offers etc from the big groups.

If someone said to you you could save thousands by simply driving 2hours each way. It’d be a no brainer.

Some folk on here drive 2hours each way to ride a trail centre on a Saturday 😀

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Wisdom (or otherwise) of buying end-of-model-range new car.’ is closed to new replies.