Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Wireless Range Extender Setup help
  • thekingisdead
    Free Member

Help!

I’m trying to configure a wireless range extender on my mac, but failing at an early hurdle 🙁

Im trying to follow these instructions from the TP link site but can’t get past “part 3” – configuration of the range extender.

I’ve entered the IP address for the range extender into Safari but it keeps bombing out saying it can’t open the page? Any ideas why not? The RE is connected to the computer via Ethernet and the RE is acknowledging the connection?

Im not the most IT savvy people, but usually get by using google etc.

Cheers for any help.

danielgroves
    Free Member

Are you sure you got steps 1 and 2 right, and so have an active network connection?

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Cheers, Ive checked the manual, the lights on the front panel of the RE are telling me that the LAN is connected but not active, hmmm, any ideas what to check next? Thought I’d followed parts 1 & 2 verbatim.

🙁 I hate IT.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    danielgroves
    Free Member

It’s hard for me to say, I haven’t played with that kinda networking for quite a while (last thing I setup was an airport express which could not have been any easier). I think the best thing I could suggest is resetting the range extender to defaults and trying again (normally a button on them somewhere).

Doesn’t help that I have no experience with TP-LINK kit, I’ve only used Cisco/D-LINK/Apple kit. Hopefully someone who can be more helpful will come along soon 🙂

bigyinn
    Free Member

Do you have to log into the main router to assign the RE its own IP? Or does the RE just get assigned an IP automatically by the router?

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Do you have to log into the main router to assign the RE its own IP? Or does the RE just get assigned an IP automatically by the router?

I need to set a static IP address (what ever that is) for the ethernet connection on the mac. And then log into the RE to change some settings on that.

So, no, i dont think I have to log into the main router (TP call it the “root” router I think).

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Update: I’ve got the RE setup and working (I think! Done a ping test and its sending and receiving)

Ironically in the process of setting it up I changed the channel on my main router as I noticed loads of other people on the same one, and that seems to have boosted the signal all over the house before I plugged the RE in upstairs.
    😮

bigyinn
    Free Member

Always choose an uncongested signal. Can make a big difference. If you’vfe got an Android phone, get an app called Wifi Analyser, will show you a nice graph showing whats broadcasting in your area and what channels are being used.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Wireless Range Extender Setup help’ is closed to new replies.