Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Wireless networking help please
  • jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Laptop connects to internet fine with wired connection to router.

Using wireless Netgear dongle the connection to same router is OK but DHCP is not allocating IP address. Instead I get an Automatic Private Address and no connection to internet.

Same router works fine wirelessly with other devices.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Have you tried pinging it?

samuri
    Free Member

you mean you get an address in the 169.254.0.0/16 local link block range?

What is the wireless interface set up to for addressing on the laptop? Are any of the settings static? Make sure everything is automatic.

What software level is the laptop at? Is it XP or vista? what service pack? XP Sp1 was notorious for misbehaving with wireless.

try statically setting all the settings for the laptop to valid values (as long as you’re confident the IP address is not already in use, does it work then?)

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Yes that’s it Samuri.

Laptop is XP SP1

samuri
    Free Member

I reckon that’ll most likely be your issue then, wire it in or statically set the wireless settings (this may not work) and get hold of SP3.

you really shouldn’t be running SP1 anyway, it’s absolutely riddled with security holes you could drive a car through.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Sorted Samuri thanks – it was the Netgear s/w that was causing the problem – as soon as I let XP manage the connection everything worked – cheers

samuri
    Free Member

splendid, get that patch on as well.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Wireless networking help please’ is closed to new replies.