Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Wireless Headphones for the home
  • mrwhyte
    Free Member

Looking for some decent bluetooth headphones for working at home. I like my music and fairly loud. OH hates noise while working.

Currently using my old DJ sony MDR- V700s, but the amp is about 2 metres from my desk (cannot move it) so making it annoying wearing them.

Final straw came when I popped on Black Pumas- Fire and she came stomping down…wasn’t wearing said headphones.

What can people recommend? budget about £100-150.

joepud
    Free Member

similar issue in my house. I like music when working partner wants / need silence. I got some Sony WH-1000XM3. Now the 4s are out you might be able to pick up some XM3s for that budget. They are bluetooth but can also be wired in.

bridges
    Free Member

^Those.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

I’ve a pair of Jabra elite 85h and have been very happy. Slightly over your budget though.(+£10) When looking at them they didn’t quite sound as good as the Sony, nor have as good noise cancelling as Bose, but did very well on both aspects and were comparable to both headphones but at a much cheaper price.

goby

Yep same as @joepud said Sony WH-1000XM3, great headphones for at home with noisy family etc and listen to tunes and for meetings.

Jakester
    Free Member

When I was looking I tried lots of wireless n/c headphones, and settled on the AKG N60Cs:

https://www.whathifi.com/akg/n60nc-wireless/review

I think I paid twice what they’re on at Amazon for and they were great at that price. Used daily when in the office and latterly at home. Taken them everywhere with me and wouldn’t be without them. Highly recommended, and at that price from Amazon a steal.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Summer’s coming. Do you really want over ears on all day?

I received these yesterday and they are amazing.

Really comfortable, more than acceptable sound quality (okay no soundstage or imaging!)
    and great build quality. Battery life is superb too. Charging status is dead clear which I
    have found not be the case with other air pod clones.

£35!

lunge

I’ve got some Sony WH-CH700’s that are big, over ear things. Drown any noise out nicely and do exactly as you’d want but they’re warm after a time.

poolman
    Free Member

Yes agree over ears in warmer weather get a bit toasty. I wear my Bose 700s brilliant sound and fit but I m looking at switching when the weather gets better, I m in Spain so the thought of these in summer I reckon they ‘ll be pretty uncomfortable.

chrisdw
    Free Member

Sony XB900N are a budget version of the XM3 if those are out of budget!

Mine are excellent.

j4mesj4mes
    Free Member

I need to block out the noise from the kids whilst working/studying. Bose QC 35 II have been the best purchase that i’ve made in many years. Not the cheapest but I wouldn’t hesitate replacing them instantly if they broke.

colonelwax
    Free Member

Summer’s coming. Do you really want over ears on all day?

I received these yesterday and they are amazing.

Really comfortable, more than acceptable sound quality (okay no soundstage or imaging!)
    and great build quality. Battery life is superb too. Charging status is dead clear which I

£35!

Just had a look and they’re coming up at £24.49 – I’m going to try them

mrwhyte
    Free Member

Cheers for all the recommendations. I’ve gone with some Sony XM3, found some slightly above budget, but they look great for what I want. Cups will be OK in the summer as our house stays pretty cool.

metcalt

edit – too slow.

p7eaven
    Free Member

* Edit: also too slow! Sony still make great headphones though if you pick the right ones.

Battery life is superb too. Charging status is dead clear which I

Funnily enough I just got a pair of ‘airpod clones’ for bday. They’re quite brilliant. Nice bass. Loud. Clear. 8 hours runtime is enough for me. And they take calls, also tap and hold for other functions (volume, next track, pause etc), IPX water-resist. New toyitis!

Going to great too for those big open space summer rides. If I can later find the left one that I lost the same day I got them! At least over-ear cans are properly paired 😎

brads
    Free Member

Skull Candy Grind.

Brilliant over ears. Comfy and the sound is superb.

Those or the AKG’s above.

grum
    Free Member

Didn’t have you down as a teenage emo brads.

brads
    Free Member

They are fantastic headphones. Very subtle as well. Plain black with a brown leather band.

Cannae remember who told me about them.

mrwhyte
    Free Member

Received my headphones today, pair well and sound great with my mac, but forgot to order a transmitter for my Cambridge amp. Any recommendations for a bluetooth transmitter I can plug in to the amplifier?
    Thanks again!

+1 Sony WH-1000XM3

They are bluetooth but can also be wired in.

But the sound quality is generally better via BT as they have a decent DAC built in

CountZero

If I had the funds available for some higher end over-ear ‘cans’ I’d go straight for the Sony WH-1000XM4’s, for two very good reasons, first, their sound quality is regarded as a among the best, plus their noise-cancelling is apparently up there with the best, but secondly, you can use them cabled if the battery goes flat. This might seem obvious, but neither the new Apple over-ear ‘phones or the top end B&W ‘phones will work with a cable if the batteries die! I mean WTAF? 😳
    They both have a 3.5mm socket, and can be used cabled to the music playing devices of your choice, but if the internal battery dies, they’re useless! I have a pair of Taotronics Soundsurge BT over-ear ‘phones, they have active noise cancelling, and will work with a cable with the power off; they cost £55, and ‘phones cost ten times as much can’t do that? What a joke!
    I’m listening to mine right now, powered off, plugged into my iPhone with a braided Lightning to 3.5mm cable I got off eBay for about £7, I think, and they sound fine, so how come neither Apple or B&W can supply a high end set of ‘phones that can do the same?

somafunk

so how come neither Apple or B&W can supply a high end set of ‘phones that can do the same?

The internal dsp will need to be powered.

you can use them cabled if the battery goes flat

Just tried with my XM3’s and can confirm, they also do this

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Wireless Headphones for the home’ is closed to new replies.