Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Wireless computer for rear wheel
  • AlexSimon

Due to having upside-down forks, I need a computer that works on the back wheel.
    With it being a full suss, wireless would be better.

Just tried a Cateye Strada and it wont send the signal far enough.

Any ideas?

scotroutes

Use a GPS?

cynic-al
    Free Member

I doubt any will work, they’re sensitive enough on the front wheel, I was going to suggest bodging it to the stanchion but that’s probably too far.

Extend the cable on a wired one? Or GPS as druid says.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

garmin GSC10 sensor will work on the rear wheel and recod stuff while you ride indoors or in a tunnel when the GPS is off

butcher

Seems odd the Strada won’t do it. It’s not a huge difference in distance, and surely that’s one of the benefits of going wireless. Are you sure it’s not faulty?

scotroutes

The Garmin GSC10 sensor works on the rear wheel so getting a wireless signal to travel that far isn’t impossible. It seems likely that some wireless computers should manage it.

steezysix
    Free Member

Unless you need to see the data while you’re riding, you could attach the computer part to the seat tube?

cynic-al
    Free Member

…and a simple system of mirrors would make it easily visible 🙂

AlexSimon

lol – sorted cynic-al!

It’s for my son. He definitely wants to see it while riding. Doesn’t want a smartphone. I can’t afford a GPS.

The strada slimline doesn’t even get close. Any further than about 40cm apart and it doesn’t work. Now that I look, there are warnings on the product page and reviews. Perhaps to do with the slim sensor. Maybe a normal Strada will work. I don’t really want to be buying/returning all the time though

PJay
    Free Member

One of these perhaps and an ANT+ enabled mobile phone or a suitable Edge unit? Designed to work from either wheel but could be set up on the front as it appears to attached to the hub.

If you don’t need it to work when static (on a trainer) you could just use the Edge; Edge 25s can be had sub-£100 (although still twice the price of the Strada).

onewheelgood

The Giant Ridesense sensor as fitted to the Defy as standard works on the back wheel and can be bought separately. It speaks Ant+ and Bluetooth so will work with most devices. But why not just use a GPS like the Edge 130?

AlexSimon

Pjay – that sensor looks good, but the Edge 130 is £160! A long way from the £35 birthday present we bought 🙂
    I can see some Garmin Edge 200 units at £50, but I don’t know if they’re genuine (Ali Express and Ebay links).

Cheapest on Garmin site is £109, then the sensor is another £35!

Plus there’s all the faff of charging, etc when a normal cyclocomputer lasts about a year.

AlexSimon

FYI just tested another Cateye unit which has a much bigger sensor and head unit, and that didn’t work either. Distance required is 94cm and distance achieved was about 50cm 🙁

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

How much exposed stanchion/hardware/lump of aluminium do you actually have at full travel?

I’ll bet there’s probably enough space to get something on the end of the RHS stanchion and get it reading from the wheel.

As long as you add enough ingenuity.

cynic-al
    Free Member

From my experience I don’t thnk wireless is likely to work as above.

Wired plus soldering iron…

AlexSimon

ghostlymachine – that was my thought too, but these particular 2 Cateye units I’ve got don’t even transmit that far!
    I have about a 28mm there and it would be 65cm to the stem.

AlexSimon

The Giant Ant+ Computer and Cadence Sensor seem to be the cheapest option so far at £70.

Still too much. Maybe we’ll have to go wired after all

PJay
    Free Member

Cheapest on Garmin site is £109, then the sensor is another £35!

It is pricey (although I’d never buy direct from Garmin do seem overpriced), but again you don’t need the sensor unless you’re using the GPS on a static bike, otherwise the GPS itself will do.

Lezyne do some cheaper GPS units too.

I’ve just had a quick Google and found the Giant Neos which uses ANT+; I’d assume that this would work from the back wheel as ANT+ is the wireless system that Garmin uses – but I guess you have to try it out to be sure. It think though that you have to spend another £30+ to buy the sensor which puts the cost back into basic GPS territory.

– Edit –

You beat me to the Giant.

Lezyne Mini – similar price and this is slightly cheaper if you’ll consider a GPS.

yetidave
    Free Member

I have a Lezyne one, with a rear mounted sensor for cadence and speed.  Works well now (had some bluetooth issues to start with and a sticky button).  I got mine as a demo model from Evans with no box and was about £80 all up from memory.  Links with phone to provide a whole load of things like text and phonecall notifications on screen.

cynic-al
    Free Member
    AlexSimon

cynic-al – reports suggest that it will (and is cheap). We’re just discussing the merits of wires. Personally I wouldn’t have a fiddly wire and lots of zipties on my bike.

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

the Wahoo RPM speed sensor attaches to the hub so you should be able to use it on upside down fork, you’ll need an computer that can pick up ANT+ or Bluetooth Smart

cynic-al
    Free Member

If you want it cheap I doubt there’s any other option.

It’s not difficult to make a neat and ssecure job of the wiring.

gnusmas

Won’t this work?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cateye-strada-cadence-cycle-computer/

This is the one i bought a couple of years back to go on my bike on the turbo trainer when i had my ankle injury. Definitely works on the rear wheel, it is still on there now but hasn’t been on a trainer for over a year. I wrapped my cable around the gear cable/brake hose from the rear chainstay up to the headtube and mounted it on the stem. I have one cable tie each end of the head tube (for added security) and the 2 on the chainstay itself. It is not that bad to look at.

AlexSimon

That might be our best option then (without spending £70+)
    Thanks all!

gnusmas

Sorry, meant one cable tie each end of the top tube not head tube.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Wireless computer for rear wheel’ is closed to new replies.