Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Wireless boiler thermostat question
  • Alphabet

My oil combi boiler has a timer attached to it and off that timer is a wireless receiver which links to a wireless room thermostat. The wireless receiver has died (smell of burnt electronics). The timer is still working and runs the hot water but not the central heating.

I’ve opened up the broken receiver and apart from the power wires there’s a grey wire in a connection marked [LX] and a black wire in a connection marked [L1]. Does anyone know if I can twist these wires together to trigger the boiler to run the central heating? Of course I’d have to untwist them to switch it off after a while but at least I’d have some heating until my boiler man comes next week.

ross980
    Free Member

Can’t you just disconnect the receiver and run the CH off the timer? That’s how mine was set up when I moved in (rubbish set up). I then added a Hive.
    EDIT: Why would hot water need a timer on a combi? Surely it’s on 24/7 but only heats up when there’s demand?

Alphabet

Yes the hot water is on 24/7. When I switch the heating to come on using the timer nothing happens. I’m guessing i<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>t needs a signal from the thermostat receiver to tell it that the house is below temperature. I can’t seem to find any setting that overrides this either on the boiler or the timer. </span>

TheFlyingOx

Can you link a pic of the wiring along with the connection markings and the manufacturer? Should be easy enough to figure out with that. Or is it just L/N/E and then L1/LX?

captmorgan
    Free Member

What make and model is the wireless stat?

Alphabet

Sorry for the delay. Here is a photo of the open reciever which has the model name/number on it. As you can see my plan was to twist the grey and black wires together. Would this fool the timer that the temperature is too low and to switch the central heating on?

Wireless Reciever

Murray

Yes that should work

joshvegas
    Free Member

If you are going that far you may aswell chuck them into a switch no?

Alphabet

If you are going that far you may aswell chuck them into a switch no?

I could (if I had a switch) but it’s only temporary until my boiler guy can come and replace it during the week.

Greybeard
    Free Member

Don’t twist them together, stuff them both into L1. Or, probably, move the wire from L1 to L2.

TheFlyingOx

move the black wire from L1 to L2

This. Also – and I’m making some assumptions here – if you do this you shouldn’t need to faff about wiring and unwiring to get the heating on and off, it should just work according to the timeclock on the boiler.

Alphabet

Thanks all for the responses. I’ll twist the wires together this evening and see what happens.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Wireless boiler thermostat question’ is closed to new replies.