Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • wire wool and oil or tin foil and water?
  • Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Doing a clean up job on the chrome on my old vintage roadie, had conflicting advice…

and if its oil and wool, what oil is it?

I’ve tried the foil and water and that works quite nicely, but just wondering about this wire and oil thing?

bencooper
    Free Member

I wouldn’t use wire wool – too abrasive. WHat about chrome polish?

sas78

I use newspaper and water after the foil and water to shine it up lovely! 😀

wwaswas

I’ve always used;

on chrome – it’s not too abrasive but does a really good job.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

I have some t-cut chrome polish, that says don’t use on mirrored surfaces, is not all chrome mirrored? 😐

wwaswas

no, mirrored is glass/plastic where a covering has been applied to the reverse. you can’t polish marks out.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

cool, the one side of the bike seems a bit worse than the other, i.e. more little rust spots, i’ll see how it comes up..

I’m assuming you can get them re-chromed for a price?

neninja
    Free Member

You want BlueJob – http://www.blue-job.com/

Works a treat on chrome and is non-abrasive. I think I might have some which I’ll never use.

The best all round metal polish I’ve used is Meguiars Motorcycle all metal polish. It smells lovely and cleans chrome up a treat too.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Chrome so bright you gotta wear shades™ 🙂

sounds good… if you find it and don’t need it let me know

shifter
    Free Member

There was a link on here from a bloke who cleaned up a shocking bmx using tinfoil and Coke.

JoeG
    Free Member

Aluminum foil and water worked wonders on a chrome fork for me recently. The chrome is harder than the aluminum, so you can’t do any harm. That’s where you should start. If the results aren’t good enough, then try something else.

And its probably free, assuming that you have a roll of foil in the kitchen.

Saccades
    Free Member

I tried most of the above on an old frame I have, it was too far gone with pitting (it was a cheap chrome job I was told) so ended up getting it powdercoated.

There are places that will re-chrome (Yates/jackson/mercian) but it’s not cheap.

cr500dom
    Free Member

Found this earlier while looking for something else:

http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=351132

I have a derusting set up at home using citric acid for car/motorcycle parts but I thought this would be useful for chrome parts as it doesnt seem to affect the chrome.
    (Im not sure if citric acid affects chrome as I havent done it)

jamiep
    Free Member

There was a link on here from a bloke who cleaned up a shocking bmx using tinfoil and Coke.

I did. I can dig out my link… Once I’ve finished with baking cookies (true story)

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Once I’ve finished with baking cookies

rock n roll 😀

jamiep
    Free Member

And some scones while the oven was on.

Cola and foil method

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

roll on the weekend, …he’s right about the cloths, i’m always running out, mine isn’t anywhere near as bad as that, i’ll have to do some before and afters to share

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘wire wool and oil or tin foil and water?’ is closed to new replies.