Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Wire cutters
  • scandal42
    Free Member

Need a pair for cutting new gear cables and brake line, do you reckon either of these would be suitable for bike related work?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/forge-steel-cable-cutter-8-210mm/2916c

http://www.screwfix.com/p/irwin-vise-grip-cable-cutters-8/61667

Don’t want to spend much more if I can help it and these are available locally today

Cheers

duckeee
    Free Member

Got the forge ones myself, worked a treat on reverb/brake hoses, gave a nice clean cut. Haven’t tried them on any cables though.

trail_rat
    Free Member

They will both work fine when new.

Go to bnq and look for jcb or mcculloch High leverage side cutter, they last much longer and require much less force for a cut.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member
    Nipper99
    Free Member

I have a pair of the Park Tools cutters. Had them for a few years and still cut like new.

leegee

I have those Irwin ones and they are fine.

frogstomp

+1 for the Park Tools ones.. went through a mangled spoke like butter too!

burton
    Free Member

Park tools one for me

trail_rat
    Free Member

Park tools when new are fine but quickly blunt even the expensive ones. If its a true cable cutter you want then get a set of felcos.

Dont rate the parks even close to good.

Many better options for fractions of the price.just need to remove the blue blinkers

scandal42
    Free Member

Felcos, seriously?

I want to cut a few gear, brake and reverb cables for a new build, I don’t want to spunk over £100 on a pair of cutters.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Hence why i suggested the first lot i sugggested,…

All im saying is the park ones are shit . Even the shops dinnae use them.

Northwind

My Park ones are the worst I’ve had, as above, blunted very fast. Retired for spokes and non-bike metal cutting now, which to be fair, they’re good at. But bike cables need an edge. I got the impression that most reviews consist of people/mags buying them, cutting 2 gear cables and then calling them great.

I believe these are the ones I have:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sealey-Wire-Rope-Spring-Cutter-190mm-Pliers-Cutters-Cable-Work-Tools-AK503-/191569982194?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2c9a75f2f2

Hard to tell, with rebadgers, quality can vary on identical-looking products. Mine are fantastic though. Sharp, long lived, they’ve outlasted the Parks by some ridiculous amount. They get rebadged by some bike companies, too, as a wee nod of approval.

The Lifeline/Superstar ones are decent- cheaper and better than Park, and they have a nice spike on the side to unsquish outers, but they don’t last as long as those ones I linked.

abductee
    Free Member

I’ve these that work ok

Search wire rope cutter on ebay

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

Wot no-one mention Shimano TL-CT12 cutter yet??? the only tool you need to re-cable a bike!

I found them really good at cutting, got the center bit to reshape the outer & spike to make sure the inner liner is open, not seaching around for other tool to do the job.

timba
    Free Member

Cheap bolt cropper for spokes and SIS outer (I use Aldi) keep the cable cutter only for inners and they’ll last longer. These review well on CRC <£10

schmiken

What are you building up Wayne?

welshfarmer

^^^ what timba said

orangeboy
    Free Member

Park ones lasted no longer than the some of the unbranded ones we have tried just cost more
    Tend to stick with knipex mostly

toppers3933
    Free Member

I’ve been using a pair of park cutters multiple times a day, six days a week since October 2012 and they are still doing the job perfectly. My previous pair where shimano ones that at their time of retirement were nearly 15 yrs old and only went because the handles fell apart.
    Those irwin ones up there look like a decent cheap alternative.

eshershore
    Free Member

Park cable cutters?

Not worth the money. We’ve retired 3 pairs since opening our shop last July.

Knipex are more expensive, but worth every penny.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Wire cutters’ is closed to new replies.