Viewing 40 posts - 4,241 through 4,280 (of 4,533 total)
  • Winters coming;all inclusive rugby thread.
  • wrecker
    Free Member

If you think robshaw is a donkey, you know **** all about rugby.

ijs445ra
    Free Member

and **** all about donkeys. 🙂

Away from the captain and team debates…Where do you rate a Lions tour in the general 4 year sporting cycle of RWC, Olympics, wendyball WC etc?

boxfish
    Free Member

Fantastic sense of humour bypass there, wrecker. Well done. Of course Robshaw isn’t a donkey. Nice to see you’re still biting though. Arf.

wrecker
    Free Member

😳

Serious SOH bypass on my part. Should have been much more chilled after a ride yesterday, obviously didn’t try hard enough.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Lions tour doesn’t even come close for me…..the best part is arguing over whom should go on the tour…after that I’m not that fussed-I’d like them to win but wont really care if they don’t.

Pigface
    Free Member

Robshaw seems to me to be like Martin Corey a great player not the most naturaly skilled but a real grafter.

duckman

Lions tour important, but still a bit Meh….Of course I would have had a different view in my youth as I forced down the first pint at what approx 4/5am? for previous tours in a rugby club with the shutters up.

Pigface
    Free Member

Lions tour is more time for a party than taking it to seriously. I like the tradition of it all.

boxfish
    Free Member

Lions Tests in Australia are a great excuse for a fried breakfast washed down with a beer.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I’ve been lucky enough to see football (Paris) and rugby WC finals (Marseilles, Paris and London), winter (France) and summer (London) olympics but am still gutted I didn’t go with the brother in law to South Africa for the Lions (back when we won the first two tests and thus the tour). To try choose between “the best” is crazy, they are all different.

Pigface – Member
    Lions tour is more time for a party than taking it to seriously. I like the tradition of it all.

Exactly – it’s the only time you can sing the oppositions songs without feeling a bit guilty !

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Lions by a mile for the craic!

Pic from outside the Gabba last time round.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Well…..Work commitment means I shall be in Hong Kong for the Lions v Baas game.

Which is nice.

Now, how to get a ticket….

anagallis_arvensis

clermont are a bit good arent they!!

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Thought Munster were going to pull off a second half comeback. A lot closer than I expected.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Wilkinson was superb today

Farrel has just played himself out of a Lions place, Imho

duckman

Barnes summed it up: Sexton comes off after 60 mins,who would you rather was on the bench,Farrell or Wilkinson?

anagallis_arvensis

Neither?

wrecker
    Free Member

Only take 1 fly half?
    I don’t think gavs in the running…….

Tom-B
    Free Member

You’re forgetting Biggar! He’s just as good as apparently 😆

anagallis_arvensis

So st johnny can kick a team with a huge domunant pack to victory and Farrel still has a lot to learn. This is not news.

duckman

So based on that A-A, plane seat for St J?

jambalaya
    Free Member

@CFH the Lions HK match sold out very quickly – I’d say the chance of a ticket is pretty slim – the rugby crowd there love the game and I doubt they’ll be many sellers.

I’ve had the very great pleasure of watching Toulon play the quarter and semi final, JW is still in a different league. Farrell is the best 10 currently playing in the 6 Nations but he’s still learning the game and is quite away behind Wilkinson who did everything right distributing the ball well and making some nice steps plus his usual defense and match winning kicking.

On this form Wilkinson should be the Lions starting 10 and captain too.

anagallis_arvensis

Farrell the best ten currently playing in the six nations…. My arse he is.
    Do any of you know if St Johnny is available for the whole tour?
    If playing well in a Heineken cup semi is the bench mark maybe O’Gara should be thr outside half for the Lions.

wrecker
    Free Member

O gara it is then!

duckman

O’Gara’s face is too soft to ever go back to Oz

ijs445ra
    Free Member

Top 14 finishes 1st June same day as Lions v Barbarians in HK, think the Lions due to fly out 27th.

Gatland has already said he is keen for them all to travel together, how many exceptions will he make zero or 3 or 4 so all the French based candidates can go?

anagallis_arvensis

Not sure how wilko could not be considered but Gethin is.
    Phillips, Hook are not in any danger of being in the final

ijs445ra
    Free Member

Perhaps Toulon are happy to let Jenkins go as he is not starting regularly where as Wilkinson looks pretty key to their game plan.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Very likely Toulon and Clermont will contest the Top 14 final on June 1 and Lions training starts before then as well as the game (exhibition jolly) in HK. So common knowledge JW would not be available for the “whole tour”

Not taking a match and tour winning asset like JW because his club are likely contesting another championship would be a very short sighted basis for a selection decision.

Hard to forgive O’Gara for the headless chicken penalty he gave away to allow Steyn to kick the tour winning penalty in South Africa last time.

Regarding Toulon letting Jenkins go what I’ve heard rumoured is that Toulon are trying to line up Dan Carter as JWs replacement when finally retires after next season.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

So what about a comp before the squad is announced tomorrow. Pick 38 players in any combination you want and nominate a captain. You get 1 point for each correct pick as named tomorrow and 5 points for getting the captain correct. The winner gets a bazooka joe and the bragging rights over all other contributors on the rugby thread.

My squad:
    Leigh Halfpenny, Rob Kearney, Stuart Hogg

George North, Tommy Bowe, Alex Cuthbert, Simon Zebo

BOD, Manu Tuilagi, Jamie Roberts, Jonathan Davies, James Hook

Jonny Sexton, Owen Farrell

Mike Phillips,Laidlaw, Ben Youngs

Gethin Jenkins, Cian Healy, Andrew Sheridan, Adam Jones, Dan Cole, Euan Murray

Richard Hibbard, Rory Best, Tom Youngs

Alun Wyn Jones, POC, Ian Evans, Joe Launchbury, Ryan Jones

Dan Lydiate, Tom Croft, SOB, Sam Warburton (c), Justin Tipuric

Toby Faletau, Jamie Heaslip

ijs445ra
    Free Member

As would be expected a fair bit of overlap with BM. I also expect that as others puts their squads up there will be players i have forgotten about and think should be in but here goes

Leigh Halfpenny, Rob Kearney, Stuart Hogg

George North, Tim Visser, Alex Cuthbert, Simon Zebo

BOD, Manu Tuilagi, Jamie Roberts, Jonathan Davies, Iain Maddigan

Jonny Sexton, Jonny Wilkinson

Mike Phillips, Ben Youngs, Laidlaw

Vinupola, Cian Healy, Ryan Grant, Adam Jones, Dan Cole, Euan Murray

Richard Hibbard, Rory Best, Ross Ford

Alun Wyn Jones, POC (c), Jim Hamilton, Joe Launchbury, Donnacha Ryan

Kelly Brown, Tom Croft, SOB, Sam Warburton, Justin Tipuric

Toby Faletau, Jamie Heaslip

Hmm looking at them there are a few I have included that I don’t think should be going but will.

loum
    Free Member

You both forgot Keet Earls 😉

Good game BM.
    Might as well get as much arguing out of today as we can .
    Guess my squad will look pretty similar too. Will cut and paste post soon.

jambalaya
    Free Member

He isn’t St Johnny – he is G-d ! Was sat next to these guys yesterday …

Pigface
    Free Member

I find it weird all this love for Jonny, he is fine playing behind a juggernaut pack when he had the luxury of time, but behind a pack that is going backwards he is headless. I think he is an average 10 with a very accurate boot. His idiocy of tackling people it isn’t his job to tackle caused him loose a good couple of years out of his career.

Out of the england team that won the world cup none of the backs* could be accused of being world beaters, same cant be said of Johnson and Hill in the pack who are true greats of the game.
    *Robinson when he played on the wing was very very good but putting him at FB was plain daft.

DanW
    Free Member

How about bonus points Melon for correctly picking a “wildcard player” the makes the squad tomorrow- this could be defined as a player no others here have in their predicted squads (such a Wade as the current predictions stand)

duckman

I think we need a new thread for the Lions, the person that starts it has to be the same nationality as the Skipper. So if it was Kelly Brown, I would start a new thread, 😀 etc,etc.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

You both forgot Keet Earls

Don’t get me started loum!

I did forget about Robshaw actually. I still think he will go.

@ Dan, go for it mate, game rules can be made up as we go! Can BOD be my wildcard?

loum
    Free Member

Schmidt confirmed

New Ireland coach. Good news, IMO.
    Except for Leinster

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Yeah very pleased with that one loum, might be the end of Earls! If he can get Ireland playing like Leinster then I’d be pretty happy with that. he might even get BOD to keep at it for another year. I’d say Paddy Jackson might not be too happy though.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@Pigface – Without doubt the forwards as a group and a number as individuals were as good as anything anyone has ever seen before or since. However, Will Greenwood was an exceptionally good player, he made a lot of things look much easier than they really were. He was a big loss for England when he retired. Jason Robinson was outstanding with ball in hand, fearless under the high ball – perhaps not world class as his kicking was functional.

JW might have lost a season or two to tackle related injuries but injuries happen and the attacking nature of that part of his game was a key element to England’s solidity in defense.

Viewing 40 posts - 4,241 through 4,280 (of 4,533 total)

The topic ‘Winters coming;all inclusive rugby thread.’ is closed to new replies.