• This topic has 94 replies, 43 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by bruk.
Viewing 15 posts - 81 through 95 (of 95 total)
  • WINTERS COMING!!!! SNOW!!!, new tryes on car 'All season'?
  • whatnobeer
    Free Member

So assuming I want to buy a set of winter tyres for my Astravan, where would you recommend buying them and getting them fitted? Any particular tyres to recommend as well? Based in Dundee.

willej

You get much more choice and better prices if you order them online and have them delivered to your most convenient fitter. I’ve used Pneus Online and Oponeo without issue. Alternatively order them online and have them fitted wherever you like using someone like eTyres.

trail_rat
    Free Member

dundee

go see hectyre

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Northwind

Oh, other thing… Winter tyres can be pretty useful for mountain biking use, there’s a fair amount of marginal parking involved with some venues, races etc. Traditionally once a year, I take my winter tyres off then shortly after get stuck in a ditch because I’m used to the grip 😳 OTOH it was quite satisying towing a freelander out of mud with a focus.

I’m irresistably drawn to muddy ditches and dirt roads and stuff mind so maybe that’s not a universal 🙂

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Excellent, thanks for the advice

bruk

Just ordered a set of winter wheels. Nokians on 16 inch Alloys from Mytyres. Had to wait till decided which car we were changing and been watching the prices and only a few quid more than August time. Less spare 4x4s at work means it is essential if I want to get home if we have anything like the snow we had last year.

Got a trip to 60 miles north of Inverness in December too and just liked how my wife’s car handled with them on last year when it was a bit greasy and cold.

If you have a rear wheel drive car and need to get about even if it is a bit slushy I would say its a no brainer.

marcus
    Free Member

Just out of interest, it this ‘winter tyres work better at less than 7 degrees’ considering air temperature, tyre temperature or tarmac temperature ? I would imaine that there can be huge variations in the 3 ?

pedlad

Have winter tyres on the wife’s astra last year which I used for business use on occasions – agree that they were transformational in terms of grip and stability (I drive circa 30k pa for the last 15 years). Got me 170 miles home without a single wheel-slip when the only other things moving on the road were 4x4s. Other normal cars including a fiat uno which should be quite good on narrow (summer I would suggest) tyres got a wobble on and span out in front of me on the icy M5 at west brom.

Got the tyres in the shed ready and wondering if it’ll be cheaper to buy steelies to save the april and next winter swap costs…..is it just a case of getting the right rim size and width (from the tyre wall?) or do the bolt arrangement measurements have to be specified??

iolo
    Free Member

In Austria it is the Law to have winter tyres between the 1st of November and 15th April.
    You have a crash and kill someone without winter tyres between these dates you will be convicted of murder.
    Maybe there is something in Winter tyres after all eh?
    Some of you guys don’t half come up with shit sometimes.

Northwind

pedlad – Member

Got the tyres in the shed ready and wondering if it’ll be cheaper to buy steelies to save the april and next winter swap costs…..is it just a case of getting the right rim size and width (from the tyre wall?) or do the bolt arrangement measurements have to be specified??

Everything needs to be compatible- same or very similiar. Offset, bolt number and spacing etc. It can be a bit bewildering tbh, easiest way if you don’t want to get too into it is to basically order the wheels for your car. But obviously that narrows choice.

johnners
    Free Member

The Optimo 4s has 2 sets of wear bars. I’m not sure but I’d guess than when you reach the first one you’ll have lost the sipes and most of the M&S performance edge over summer tyres.

bails

pedlad – Member
    ——————————————————————

Everything needs to be compatible- same or very similiar. Offset, bolt number and spacing etc. It can be a bit bewildering tbh, easiest way if you don’t want to get too into it is to basically order the wheels for your car. But obviously that narrows choice.

Try a scrapyard. I got 4 full size ‘spare’ steel wheels for my Focus for £60. Brand new bolts were another £15 or so from Germany.

fingerbike
    Free Member

Have Good Year Vector 4Seasons, so far so good.
    If I had the storage, would probably be looking at the winter/summer swap.
    We currently live in a flat though so nowhere to store anything.

Latest All Season test:
    http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2013-Auto-Bild-All-Season-Tyre-Test.htm

grtdkad

I’ve just fitted a pair of Avon ‘Ice Touring’ to my missus’ car so that should guarantee warm, balmy conditions for us all for the next six months 😕

http://www.avon-tyres.co.uk/car/ice-touring

bruk

Just fitted the wheels and been and sorted the air pressures. Feel alright on the wet greasy roads at the moment. Going downa size and non run flats makes the ride feel a bit better too.Can’t wait for some snow now!

Viewing 15 posts - 81 through 95 (of 95 total)

The topic ‘WINTERS COMING!!!! SNOW!!!, new tryes on car 'All season'?’ is closed to new replies.