• This topic has 86 replies, 42 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Akers.
Viewing 7 posts - 81 through 87 (of 87 total)
  • Winterfold Estate (Surrey Hills) update – Keep out of the private land
  • alextemper
    Free Member

why it would be safer to get out of the car carrying it rather than leaving locked in the vehicle
    IIRC (it’s been a few years since I had any dealings with firearms, and then it wasn’t shotguns) it may well not be down to his individual discretion and judgement – it may well be a condition of the licence that it isn’t left unattended in a vehicle, full stop, no get outs, no exceptions – it’s either in your locked cabinet at home, or it’s on your person at all times.

The law currently stands that the own must do the upmost to make sure that a firearm is kept as secure as it possibly can be at any time while not in use. If you’re transporting it in a vehicle then it should be secured and locked away where possible, unloaded and ammunition kept separate. Depending on the 4×4, this may not be possible if it’s of the pickup variety but either way one would hope if he’s carrying around a shotgun, it would not be loaded.

Instances of intimidation, intended or otherwise, could result in a license being suspended and firearms confiscated for a period of time. This can now extend to instances of general intimidation or anti social behaviour where there is no presence of a gun if reported. The Police are now pretty keen on revoking licenses given any small excuse as soon as instance of threaten behaviour or intimidation is reported.

10pmix
    Free Member

And guns aside, he did drive toward a group of us as we cycled down Ewhurst road a couple of years ago at a silly speed missing us by about 6 inches. A couple of the guys tried to catch up with him in Peaslake to have a word but he was too fast. I think one of them reported it to the police, it was madness.

I’ve posted before that everyone should respect his property.

duff
    Free Member

Was that in an old Subaru Legacy estate or similar? Had an old guy do this to me a couple of times in Peaslake.

10pmix
    Free Member

was a range rover.

philjunior
    Free Member

The problem is, you end up with attitudes like yours. Viewing winding up landowners as some sort of sport. The problem being that to him you’re just dickish MTB’er number 20 of the day and his accommodating nature ran out 19 dickish MTB’ers ago.

And no one’s been threatened with a shotgun or run off the road. They’ve been stopped by a guy in a 4×4 holding a shotgun.

1) Read my post. I never said I view winding up landowners as “some kind of sport” but whether I was MTBer no. 1 of the day or MTBer 9999999999999999, I wouldn’t appreciate being intimidated, and it’s pretty predictable that some people will take unkindly to this, and I don’t appreciate being called a “dickish” for suggesting that people won’t react well to being intimidated. I was just pointing out that there’s quite clearly 2 sides to this.

2) Read the thread. It had been mentioned prior to my comment, and has been reiterate since that he did drive his car at a bunch of MTBers.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Well, Fly Tipper has gone.

Akers

I was up on Pitch hill on Saturday, at the top of Captain Clunk there was a notice stapled to the trees from ‘the management’. Not sure how long it’s been there, as I’ve not been over that way for a few weeks. The gist of the notice states that parts of the Hurtwood are under new ownership and while the new owners currently wish to continue ‘freedom to roam’ access, the digging of jumps and new trails will not be tolerated. Furthermore the entire MTB trail network was ‘under review’.

Worrying times. Lets all do our best to ensure mountain bikers are seen in a positive light, wherever we ride, by being respectful to the land we ride on and the people we meet. There endeth the sermon. 8)

Viewing 7 posts - 81 through 87 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘Winterfold Estate (Surrey Hills) update – Keep out of the private land’ is closed to new replies.