Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Winter tyres/summer tyres
  • Stoner
    Free Member

Swapped over Mrs Stoner’s car wheels the other day. Two of the summer tyres need replacing. But her car just drives better on “winter” tyres. (deeper profile mainly)

They are these, Nokian WR D3
    https://www.nokiantyres.com/winter-tyres/nokian-wr-d3/
    I got them for £430 on steel rims from tyreleader 3 winters ago. Still plenty of tread on them.

They are an approved “Winter” tyre, but I was wondering is there anything wrong with using such tyres all year round? I’d rather save the cash of buying some new summer rubber and just get some more “winter” tyres next year. I dont care about running steel rims with wheel covers instead of original low profile alloys. It’s only a Passat.

sweepy
    Free Member

I use snow tyres year round. I’d rather have the extra grip when I’m likely to be near the limit of grip. Can’t be arsed with changing twice a year either.

thepodge
    Free Member

I thought winter tyres performed worse in summer than summer tyres.

Jakester
    Free Member

On my last car I used to alternate summer/winter tyres, until the winters were worn down to the point that it wasn’t worth using them another winter, at which point I would run them until they wore down (i.e. over summer etc).

Winter tyres supposed have a softer compound rubber, so are supposed to wear more quickly.

TBH I didn’t notice any significant difference between the winter tyres and non-winter tyres; the former was slightly better in the wet, but ‘felt’ a tad ‘softer’.

It took a further 18 months for the supposedly worn winters to wear to the point of needing replacement, so IME I’d say go for it. Not used those specific tyres though – I used Conti Wintercontacts.

aP
    Free Member

I’ve never heard of slushplaning before.

sweepy
    Free Member

I think winter tyres are better in summer than summer tyres are in winter.

scotroutes

Winters all year. Any performance drop off in warm weather is minimal at legal/sensible road speeds and traction on soft ground/wet grass is much better too.

johnners
    Free Member

Can’t be arsed with changing twice a year either.

Changed my wheels over to the Winters yesterday but if I hadn’t got them with the car I doubt I’d bother, at most I’d just use a 4 season tyre all year round. It’s a bit of a chore plus storing the set that’s not in use is a PITA so once I’ve run them down to the first wear bar I doubt I’ll bother any more.

I’d be keener if I lived somewhere like the Dales but I’m in Somerset!

kormoran
    Free Member

I’ve been running winters all year round for the last 7 years. I’m getting 30k out of them before they get to 4-5mm tread left. Unless it is really hot they feel fine all the time, especially in the wet. When it is hot they feel very grippy but i’m concerned about wear not handling. I am in scotland though, so it’s not often hot. My current car (fiesta) came with summer tyres which were ghastly noisy ditch finders – I swapped them for winters after a month or so and it transformed the car. Super quiet and much more positive handling. I have never noticed a drop in fuel consumption but I do drive like a grandad on a sunday run to the coast

Also what scotroutes said

Edukator
    Free Member

Winter tyres have a slightly longer stopping distance on warm roads according to ADAC, cornering grip is similar. That’s comparing the best Winter tyres with performance Summer tyres.

Edit:

summer tyres which were ghastly noisy ditch finders –

Name and shame, my Summer tyres fit that description – ContiEcoContact. At current wear rates they’ll last longer than the car but in terms of ride, feel and grip they aren’t good.

Stoner
    Free Member

seems like a plan then.

What do I do with shabby VW alloys? weigh them in?

Yak

IIRC winter tyres all year are far better than summer tyres all year. The summer performance drop-off of winter tyres is nothing like the summer tyre performance drop off below c 8deg. I have run both combos and the only noticeable difference in general driving all year is that winters are much noisier. This is in a van though, so a better sound insulated car might be different.

kormoran
    Free Member

summer tyres which were ghastly noisy ditch finders – Name and shame

Matador

kormoran
    Free Member

Plenty of shabby VW alloys on gumtree

stumpy01

kormoran – Member

Matador

Do you know which ones?
    I’ve used Matador tyres for the last few years and they have compared well to any other brand I have used.
    Specifically, I have used the Hectorra MP tyres; I think the first pair I bought were MP44s, but the number seems to go up every time I replace them. I think they are currently MP47s.

Matador have been owned by Continental for quite a while now, so I suspect there is some technology cross talk there.

kormoran
    Free Member

Do you know which ones?
    I’ve used Matador tyres for the last few years and they have compared well to any other brand I have used.

Can’t remember the model i’m afraid. Parents had a new VW with matadors fitted as standard. They were pretty poor too, they complained and the dealer swapped them out.

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

We had a couple of very warm days ( for Aberdeenshire about 15deg C ) before winter was properly over this year and driving on the winter tyres was frankly terrifying. I don’t notice the same dramatic loss of grip with summer tyres unless there is actually ice and snow on the road.

leffeboy

It only takes 20mins to swap wheels over so it isn’t so much of a faff but storage can be a pain. Still swap though but hadn’t really thought about using winter tyres all year. Thought the wear would be an issue but maybe not but as I’ve got them now I’ll probably just keep going.

newrobdob
    Free Member

There was some sort of test in a magazine once which in summary said 2 sets of tyres changed for summer and winter use is best, next best is winter tyres all year round, worst is summer tyres all year round.

Personally I’d have Michelin cross climates on all year round if I could choose, unless I lived a lot further north than West Yorkshire.

Brown
    Free Member

Winter tyres definitely feel less ‘tight’ on dry tarmac to me. I’ve noticed that both in a car and a van. Even when it’s relatively cold. I keep them in year round as I’m in and out of muddy fields in my van but, having just driven an identical van with summer tyres for a couple of days, I’m not sure the winter ones are worth it.

jam-bo

i’ve had a set on for a month now. as good as the avons they replaced in the dry, significantly more stable in the wet. not had any cold yet.

LS
    Free Member

I’ve been wearing out my winter tyres over summer this year before replacing shortly and to be honest I’ve noticed very little difference between them and summer tyres, even on the hottest days. That’s Nokians on an Octavia estate.
    Having said that I’ve got Weatherproofs ready to go on as replacements so I’m going to try the ‘all rounder’ option next.

scotroutes

unless I lived a lot further north than West Yorkshire.

Like the Cairngorms?

Couple of years ago I started to pay attention to the air temperature gauge in the van. There was not one month of the year when the temperature didn’t dip below 7c .

newrobdob
    Free Member

I struggled to wheel spin in slush my rear wheel drive automatic turbo petrol car with Michelin CC tyres on.

Houns

I’ve ran winters all year round, no drop in performance or mpg, rather have better performance in poor weather and slightly better grip on easy off road stuff

Stoner
    Free Member

LS, I think that’s what I will do.

Im in the civilised south so dont really need full winters, but “year-rounds” would make a good compromise when the nokian winters die. And vanity low profile tyres are just a silly, uncomfortable fad. give me some decent 65-70% sidewalls! 😀

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Winter tyres/summer tyres’ is closed to new replies.