Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Winter tyres (snow/ice)
  • rob-jackson
    Free Member

Apart from schwalbe ice spikes and conti spike claws, anything else? need max 700x32c for the road bike or 26×2.4 for the mtb

MoreCashThanDash

Got ice spiker pros for the mtb, weight saving over the cheaper versions made the cost worthwhile. Another couple of weeks for commuting this winter and they will have paid for themselves in saved petrol costs.

Tbh, if it’s bad enough for spiky tyres, the road bike stays in the garage

Northwind

Yeah, impressed with my icespiker pros too. Though they do drop studs a bit too often, I got hold of a bunch of replacements and the en-spiker tool so much happier now.

I’ve got a snow stud for the commuter but tbh I’m not impressed at all, the studs are too far round the tyre so the tyre needs to be at very low pressure before the studs touch down. End result, pinch flats on snow. Snow is not that sharp! So I squeezed a downhill tube into it and it kind of works but far from ideal.

igm

Click here for ideas

Though I like my icespyker pros as well.

warpcow
    Free Member

I’ve got 2.35″ Ice Spiker Pros on the MTB and 35mm Nokian Hakka 106s on the commuter. Also tried Snow Studs, they did the job too but were a bit ‘meh’. The Nokian isn’t that wide (looks more like 30-ish), but it is very tall. The ISPs are typical Schwalbe size and I haven’t found anything to complain about so far: light weight, lots of grip and reinforced sidewalls, only one lost spike so far, and the price is ‘ok’ if you get them from Germany.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

DIY:

DSC_0486 by ir_bandito, on Flickr

Pair of old tyres, box of wood screws, hour or so with a drill.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Got conti ice spikes and winter marathons

Wnter marathons piss all over the contis.

Even used the winter marathons at puffer last year …… Sailing past folks 🙂

Northwind

Oh aye, I DIYed some and it was alright but the screws just wore down so fast on tarmac so they ended up being a “fit only when you know there’ll be snow and ice” thing rather than the snowstud’s “just leave it on”. Fun project though and a good use of worn-down mtb tyres.

zilog6128

I have Ice Spiker Pros which I use on the MTB for the commute in the winter. Very light considering, definitely worth the money as they should last a long time only getting used for a few weeks per year.

Might get some Winter Marathons to try on the CX bike this year though.

molgrips
    Free Member

Nokian are the other big maker I think.

bigyinn
    Free Member

FFS It’s September!

zilog6128

Good luck buying any for a sensible price when there’s actually snow on the ground then!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Heard on the grape vine schwalbe discontinuing the 700/35 wintermarathon – anyone able to confirm or deny it ?

zilog6128

They are not available on wiggle or CRC anymore so… maybe…

trail_rat
    Free Member

Judging by last years wear ive got a few years before i need anymore – perhaps they will realise their error by then 🙂

sweaman2
    Free Member

All you need to know about winter cycling tires

I run a combination of Nokian and Schwalbe marathon. Interesting on the 700 comment if true as I was thinking I might upgrade to a 700C commuter from the hack bike but not if I can’t fit winters.

zilog6128

They are still in stock in a few other places.

breadcrumb

trail_rat – Member
    Got conti ice spikes and winter marathons

Wnter marathons piss all over the contis.

Even used the winter marathons at puffer last year …… Sailing past folks

I passed quite a few folk on spikes even though I was only on Eskar/Mountain King II. It must of been my cat like balance, or more likely a large dose of good luck that kept me upright!

molgrips
    Free Member

I only have MTB spikes, must get some commuter ones too.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Winter tyres (snow/ice)’ is closed to new replies.