Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Winter Tyres in summer…….daft or not?
  • rocky-mountain
    Free Member

I took advantage of a good deal on On One, two Schwable Black Shark Mud Heavy Duty 2.35’s.
    Buy now for the winter was my thinking. Anyhow the Maxxi’s Advantages were looking a bit thin, so I’ve whacked them on.

So any thoughts on riding them in the summer? I am on a rigid, so my thinking is the most knarliest, big volume beasts are going to making corners, roots etc more ‘enjoyable’.

Any thoughts?

KINGTUT
    Free Member

No, none at all.

pedalhead
    Free Member

I use summer tyres all year ’round. Not sure that helps…

rocky-mountain
    Free Member

I have used summer tyres through the winter, the Maxxis advantages were quite acceptable.

I remember getting a pair of the semi slick Ritchey tyres in the 1990’s, which were used by the first Olympic mtb races, they were scarily fast.

However, is there such a thing as too much grip!

curlie467
    Free Member

Just use them, no-one will stare and call you names.

soobalias
    Free Member

mental knobbles on hard surfaces are squirmy and i think the sharks are a vicious mud tyre – but ive never even seen them in real life so what do i know.

that said, the XR4s i bought and worried a little, from bontragers description, that they might be a bit too ‘winter’ are actually just tyres, black round ones

craig1975
    Free Member

think it needs to be dry for more than 3days before i consider taking my swampthings off, ive left them on thus far this year

transapp
    Free Member

Not really an issue. Slower when it does get dry but that’s about it. I’m litrally just about to swap out my Schwalbe Racing Ralfs to the bonty Mud x’s for tomorrow’s ride.

philconsequence
    Free Member

i put on a combo of WTB stout + prowler on last winter…. since then the rear has worn down nice and slowly (pesky roads to get to the woods) to the point where its about the same as new summer tyres 😀

very happy with how its worked out!

avdave2

I keep Mud X on my rigid bike all year round as it’s the one I use whenever it’s wet at any time of the year.

wwaswas

I’ve got Intense System 5’s on currently (they’re fairly chunky) wish I’d stuck with the Mud-X’s after last nights ride;

molgrips
    Free Member

They are dry and mud tyres, not winter and summer tyres. So you ride the muds when it’s muddy, which can happen any time of year 🙂

Winter tyres are these:

hugor
    Free Member

Summer? Still waiting for it. For me I just see varying winter days.

Milt
    Free Member

have had the same mud x on since september last year. considered changing during the dry spell in the early spring, but then summer arrived,! so probably won’t bother now.

br
    Free Member

think it needs to be dry for more than 3days before i consider taking my swampthings off, ive left them on thus far this year

But it didn’t rain pretty much at all in March, April and May…, at least down here.

DarrenH

Must admit I’m toying with the idea of fitting my swampthings back on…

coatesy
    Free Member

I’d have probably been happier on mud tyres over the last few rides, just haven’t bothered changing them. Nowt wrong with using them if it’s been wet, but they do tend to wear a bit quicker if it dries out.

OCB
    Free Member

I’ve just shoved a 2.4 Bonty Jones ACX on the front of my old rigid Kona, for no other reason that I wanted a big-volume front tyre, and that was the biggest tyre (that didn’t weight as much as the ones on my truck do), that I could find in my LBS.

I’m liking the (albeit small scale) half-fat bikin’ …

takisawa2

I run a Smallblock8 on the back pretty much all year, & stick a Nev on the front early/late season or mid-summer if very wet. Only put something grippier on the back if its really bad/snowing.

crikey
    Free Member

I don’t get it.

In the NW if the UK the difference between winter and summer is 15 degrees. That’s it. All this winter and summer tyres stuff seems to be lots of people convincing themselves that they need to change tyres.

It is just riding a bike, not F1.

slimjim78
    Free Member

theres a bit more to it than that crikey.

winter usually means copious mud

summer usually (should) mean dry hard pack

many tires react very differerntly on these surfaces

enfht
    Free Member

Opinions vary on tyres as much as politics.

Just an idea like, but go and try the tyres for yourself, and make your own mind up

AND, you’ll earn the right to be another STW opinionated plonka 😀

rocky-mountain
    Free Member

Well I will test them on sunday; should be fun.
    Will report back.

What I do like is that there are peolple like on one etc who are selling tyres by respected brands in other areas of cycling for very cheap prices; £25 for £80 plus worth of tyres. Fantastic, you can experiment.

Maxxis are the current favs for most, but who had heard of them 10 years ago! it was Continental and WTB.

rocky-mountain
    Free Member

rode them today, very different in a good way, felt very stable at high speed, felt very tough over a very rocky patch which normally is a challenge for the other tyres. good grip on corners etc.

however the farmer/tractor jokes were in full flow, and also the noise on tarmac!

still got a puncture.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Winter Tyres in summer…….daft or not?’ is closed to new replies.