Winter tyres

Home Forum Chat Forum Winter tyres

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Winter tyres
  • Premier Icon stevomcd
    Subscriber

Will it be like mario cart?

Yes. I’ve had some very scary experiences as a result of this. Don’t do it.

Also, in my experience, “all-season” tyres are not noticeably better than summer tyres. Winter tyres are stunningly good.

Premier Icon bails
    Subscriber

I put my winter tyres (Conti WinterContacts, 205/55/16) on my Focus this weekend. I’ve got them fitted to a set of steel wheels so no paying kwik-fit to swap them over for me.

Driving around for a couple of days, I can’t really tell any difference between the winters and my ‘summer’ Uniroyal RainExperts, except the winters go through deep(ish) puddles at speed with less of a ‘thump’ than the REs. They are very reassuring when there’s snow/sluch on the ground, and when it gets colder though.

Premier Icon bigjim
    Subscriber

nowhere to keep another set of tyres unless anyone can think of a quick way of turning them into furniture, so I think all year ones are the only option really. seem to be mixed opinonions on them though.

spooky_b329

We put ‘all season’ tyres on my wifes car last summer, its probably done 35k since and they don’t show any signs of excessive wear. It did lose an edge on the handling from its summer tyres, just feels a tad more woolly but at the same time less fidgety. They have proved themselves by clawing their way up an unmade track covered in frozen run off, the person that lives up there uses a 4×4 and often has to use a convenient hedge to stop their car sliding down the track 🙂

My van has winter tyres and the first pair did maybe 12k before wearing down to the point where the extra sipes and grooves became ineffective, but it does almost exclusively heavy towing and often ends up with the tyres scrabbling about on various surfaces on the verge of getting stuck so not surprising they wore quickly, they also have a very aggressive flexy tread which gets warm as they are for slightly muddy conditions which won’t help the wear rate.

Premier Icon bails
    Subscriber

nowhere to keep another set of tyres

Simple, just find someone in the southern hemisphere with the same car as you who needs winter tyres between April and October, and summer ones from November to March, then swap with them every six months.

HTH. 🙂

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

nowhere to keep another set of tyres unless anyone can think of a quick way of turning them into furniture

Kwik fit will look after them for you for a very small sum I think. They do a winter tyre managed service where they’ll change tem over and store your old ones.

Re wear – the key thing is if they are silica compound or not. Many winter tyres are. Silica tyres last bloody ages and give better fuel economy.

Premier Icon bigjim
    Subscriber

interesting, I detest kwik fit though, after they quoted my gf about £200 to change the front brake pads on a Yaris.

andyl

is that the brakes for life thingy though? They have to pay for it somehow.

edit: not that I am defending Kwik Fit though.

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

Kwik fit were always good to me. They can change tyres easily enough. If you are buying tyres though you have to get what they are flogging cheap that week to get a good deal. Otherwise, if you go in asking for something specific it’s a joke.

I would trust them to change and look after tyres though.

Premier Icon bails
    Subscriber

My local Kwik Fit have always been good and they’ll match the online prices. I phone them up, check they’ve got stock, then make the booking and pay online for fitting 3+ days away. Phone them up again and they move the booking to today and I get cheap tyres fitted ‘on the day’.

I’ve only ever used them for tyres though.

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Winter tyres’ is closed to new replies.