Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • winter sunglasses oakley ?
  • smatkins1
    Free Member

I’ve started night riding this year and keep getting mud in my eye. My first thought is some Oakley glasses with Photochromic lenses. But for that money I could buy some clear lensed night time glasses, some summer riding sunglasses and still have some money left over for some Ray Ban’s for when I’m not on my bike! Are Oakley’s worth the cash? can you suggest another solutions?

Vinnyc
    Free Member

Oakley’s are great, if you cant justify it get some cheaper ones like Uvex or Endura

nealglover
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of Oakleys that are 15 years old and worm summer and winter every year, plus use in the car all the time.

Every other pair of sunnies I’ve ever owned have been lucky to last a year before something breaks of the lenses are so scratched I can’t see anything.

Well worth the money in my opinion.

[EDIT]

Just worked out, they are actually over 20 years old ! (Eek!)

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Splash the cash!

I have a pair of Jawbones for cycling & 3 pairs of lenses – very simple to swap out.

Also have Square Wires for driving / looking cool on nice days 8)

DrP

I’ve two pairs of radars, with 3 lenses – tint, yellow, clear….
    Covers all bases….!

DrP

anant
    Free Member

Yes, Oakleys are great one.

BadlyWiredDog

Are Oakley’s worth the cash? can you suggest another solutions?

Good but expensive – try a front mudguard?

tmb467
    Free Member

Bolle Silium clear safety glasses are about 7 quid on eBay

Look ok and work well

Then spend decent money on something else

gren
    Free Member

Moved from Endura photochromic to Oakleys. The Enduras were every bit as good in the bright sunlight but would never go as clear. You always knew you were wearing them as well. I forget I’m wearing the Oakleys and they are especially good when constantly moving in and out of wooded areas.

crankman
    Free Member

Is the jawbone discontinued now – renamed the racing jacket?

http://uk.oakley.com/custom/racing_jacket

gonzy
    Free Member

i’ve been using oakleys since the early 90’s, and in my experience they are well worth the money…or at least that my excuse for currently having 3 pairs!!
    this has been mentioned in a previous thread but try eyewear outlet.com for a bargain deal…eyewear outlet

FuzzyWuzzy

Rudy Project Rydon photochromics work best for me, prefer them over my Oakley Radar’s for variable conditions (although do generally switch to the Radar’s with clear lens for night riding)

The-Beard

Oakley photochromic Radars are the only riding glasses I own. I use them for everything, night and day. Practically flawless. Only grumble is that they don’t go that dark in bright sun. but i live in Scotland so that’s not a problem.

buck53

Does/has anyone used the ‘Walleva’ lenses available on ebay? Looking at photochromatic lenses for a pair of Jawbones and they are quite a bit less than Oakley branded lenses.

tinybits
    Free Member

I’ve tried other sunglasses and keep coming back to Oakleys, they just seem to be good. Bad lenses / fit give me a cracking headache (I get the same with my normal glasses) yet my Oakleys (i@ve had about 5 pairs in 20 years) just seem right.
    Having said that, a mucky nuts fender bender will keep 90% of muck out of your eyes for £7… (I’d still buy the oakleys though)

sparkyspice
    Free Member

+1 for Jawbones, or any other Oakleys (especially the lens changing ones).

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

oakley are expensive BUT I’ve had the same ones since 1998 and usually stick the heater lens in for the winter job done. 15 years divided by the 150 quid I spent makes them a bargain.

roverpig

Could somebody provide a link to these Oakley’s with the photochromatic lenses. I like the idea of one pair of glasses that will change with the conditions, rather than having to keep swapping lenses. But whenever I’ve tried to search for Oakley sunglasses the blurb always talks about how you can change the lenses and I’m never sure whether the ones it comes with are going to be the ones that I want.

xcentric
    Free Member

what you are paying for with Oakleys is the warranty – they are pretty good about fixing frames and lenses and so on, and so they can last you for ages.

(Having said that, the Maui Jim’s I had – not for cycling – were scratched by my kids playing with them – sent them back with a note to get some replacement lenses put in – should have been abut £100 – they came back along with 3 refresher bars for the kids, a brief note saying that they’d not want the kids to get into trouble, that my note had amused them, and a completely new pair of sunnies. Great service.)

soundninjauk

I’ve got photochromic Split Jackets and they are wonderful. They do exactly what you want them to do, and you never notice the transition from wooded to bright sunlight, you can always just see perfectly the whole time.

Well worth the money.

stevied
    Free Member

I got a pair of these for night riding: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bolle-Tracker-II-2-Safety-Glasses-Goggles-Anti-Mist-Scratch-FREE-BAG-/230839958002?pt=UK_BOI_ProtectiveGear_RL&hash=item35bf2239f2
    Never fogged up and seem to offer good coverage. I got mine through work so haven’t actually paid for them yet…
    Will be saving my Oakley’s for the summer

B_Leach
    Free Member

Ah, I suppose this is the time to mention those Deal Extreme (and Ebay) Fauxkley Jawbones that everyone on here raved over about 6 months back. 😉

I’m sure I got a set of clear lenses in with them, and for less than £15 IIRC

mintimperial

I’ve got some Split Jackets with prescription transitions lenses, they’re great for everything from bright UK sunlight to night riding. The only thing they’re not quite up to is full on sunny days skiing on snow, when I stick a pair of goggles over the top.

njee20
    Free Member

IMO Radars are better than Jawbones (I own both). I find the Jawbones don’t fit quite as well, and the frame is more obtrusive.

Got the Clear Black Iridium Photochromic lenses in the Jawbones and they’re superb though.

tinybits
    Free Member

Just a word of advice, the photchromatic ones I believe need UV light to activate them, which car windows remove so they are sod all use for driving (or at least my flak jackets aren’t)

cookeaa

Ah, I suppose this is the time to mention those Deal Extreme (and Ebay) Fauxkley Jawbones that everyone on here raved over about 6 months back.

+1 Fauxley Jawbones here (From Ebay) with Cheapo clear prescription lenses done by Ciliary Blue, Do the job for about 1/10th of the price of the pukka product, I’ll probably get some Tinted or Photochromic lenses for summer (and maybe a spare frame)…

I’m sure a trained eye could spot the difference… But does it matter?

honourablegeorge

B_Leach – Member
    Ah, I suppose this is the time to mention those Deal Extreme (and Ebay) Fauxkley Jawbones that everyone on here raved over about 6 months back.

Mine were seized by customs as conterfeit goods. I got a refund from EBay, mind.

njee20
    Free Member

Just a word of advice, the photchromatic ones I believe need UV light to activate them, which car windows remove so they are sod all use for driving (or at least my flak jackets aren’t)

Correct, but they’re photochromic, no ‘at’, dunno why that bothers me so much! 😕

cookeaa

Mine were seized by customs as conterfeit goods. I got a refund from EBay, mind.

Really? That’s the first instance I’ve ever heard of this happening, I suppose it makes sense, interestingly the ebay listings make no mention of branding as such, and the pictures are done in such a way as to avoid actually showing any obvious branding or logos, although the listing does mention the colour of the “logos” without discussing the details of those not quite visible logo…

So they were never actually sold to me as “Oakleys”, or “Oakley Style” or “Jawbones”… not overtly at least

I just bought some cheap sunglasses from Hong Kong, I must say it was a pleasant surprise when they turned up, and actually looked very similar to a friends £180 pair of Oakley Jawbones…

winterfold
    Free Member

can you get a proper prescription lens for radars yet or is still the stuck-on thing?

roverpig – google Oakley Transitions

gribble
    Free Member

Purchased photo chromatic lensed split jackets. See them on oakley’s website. Mine are prescription models, cost circa £330, so definitely not cheap. However, the are great and very comfortable, fitting my funny fat face.

There seem to be loads of lens and frame options – some lenses have more light that is let in, which helps for UK conditions. Mine look a bit yellow and I went for a matt black frame, so I look a bit like Team America World Police, but still am pleased with them.

doubledunter
    Free Member

Oakley racing jackets but I do tend to wear Endura spectrum if its wet and muddy conditions, for £15 they have lasted well, I found run of the mill safety glasses scratched far too easy.

I’ve got a nearly new pair of black and white Pro M frames with clear lenses that I don’t use, would they be of interest?

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘winter sunglasses oakley ?’ is closed to new replies.