Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Winter Spd shoes/boots
  • LoCo
    Free Member

Has anyone got any suggestions for waterproof winter boots that are cheaper/better than the current Shimano MW700/MW81.
    Thanks.

mtbfix

I’ve been very happy with my Spec Defrosters. That said, after4+ winters they are to as waterproof as once they were.

jonnyrockymountain

what size feet are you?

LoCo
    Free Member

45 in summer ‘shimano’ shoe

prawny

I’ve got some LG 0deg LS boots which are ok, come up really small though, I’m in a 45 and they’re quite tight, and I’m usually a 43.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’m very happy with my northwave Artic’s*, 4+ years old now, and I ride in them through a lot of the British ‘summer’ too as they’re very breathable so don’t feel any hotter than a normal shoe, albeit one with few vents.

Cut off marigolds or drysuit cuffs are a must if it’s raining of you’re crossing rivers though.

*the fleece lined variant of their winter boot.

somafunk

Find a pair of the old style Nothwave Artics – i suffer from raynauds and they are brilliant winter boots – never had cold nor wet feet in them, i’ve seen them advertised under £100 so i imagine you may be able to call in a favour from someone in the trade

LoCo
    Free Member

What’s the sizing like on the NW stuff compared to shimano? Thanks for replys BTW 😀

fasthaggis

I went 2 sizes up for NW (1 up for Shimano)

dday

I bought some overshoes from Planet X for £12. Toasty dry feet without buying new boots.

welshfarmer

Pretty good match to your actual normal shoe size they say.

I have a pair in 43 that fit well and I am a 43 in normal shoes. Others may have other experiences

somafunk

I’m an 8.5/42.5 in everything including sidi/fzik cycling shoes but i sized up to a 43 in the Northwave Artics as i wanted to fit Merino footbeds and with a pair of the thicky merino socks from on-one the fit is absolutely perfect – ample wiggle room for my toes but there’s no way these boots are moving or slopping about on my feet – after 3+ years use they still come up like new with a quick brush and spray of boot protector stuff.

Along with my Showers pass jackets/clothing these boots make winter riding almost enjoyable whether that be my daily commute or pootles out in the Galloway hills which often involves numerous watery bogs to cross.

LoCo
    Free Member

I bought some overshoes from Planet X for £12. Toasty dry feet without buying new boots.

Yes, however after Saturday with sealskins socks, dx shoes & overshoes and still getting cold and soaking feet think I could do with some proper winter shoes.
    It would also save the 5 minute struggle to get footwear off at the end of the ride and get inside for a coffee 😉

ransos
    Free Member

What’s the sizing like on the NW stuff compared to shimano? Thanks for replys BTW

I take 43 in regular shoes, 44 in most cycling shoes, and 45 in Northwave Celsius 2.#

They’re good boots, even when the rain eventually comes in from the top, they stay warm.

iainc

+1 Spesh Defrosters. Same size as their shoes and they are upsized a little to allow thicker socks

jamiemcf

I’m on spesh defrosters here. I love them. Comfy and warm. I went up a half size and wear some winter bridgedales with them. The water still gets in as it runs down your leg but they keep your feet warm / warmer.

LoCo
    Free Member

Cheers for the replys, have just ordered some Shimano MW700 (replacements for the older MW81) as couldn’t find the NW Artics any cheaper after a quick search.

whitestone
    Free Member

The defrosters don’t work when stood in thigh deep water 🙄

One advantage of them though is that they don’t absorb water so even when wet they don’t get massively heavy like five-tens.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

+10 defrosters

make sure your trousers are long and go over the tops, same for any boot really that’s where the water gets in.

Oh and don’t stand in water that is higher than the tops of your boots

LoCo
    Free Member

The defrosters don’t work when stood in thigh deep water

Blimey hoping to avoid this scenario 😯 😆

whitestone
    Free Member

I was trying to cross a stream and came to an abrupt halt when the front wheel disappeared just before the far bank! Not the usual riding scenario I grant you.

nickb

I’ve had a pair of early Defrosters for a few years – been great, but now starting to fall apart so looking to replace them.

Obvious choice is another pair of Defrosters, but before I buy them, any views on the Giro Alpineduro in comparison? Chipps seemed to like them:
    http://singletrackworld.com/reviews/giro-alpineduro-boots/

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Id say no mate. They were just used in spring etc. They have a very obvious water entry point straight up the middle. Check Defrosters. Opening is on the side. As the water splashes up on the defrosters it hits a sealed area. Laces will hold water and increase weight.

Winter, dry snow st low temps isn’t the same as rolling through endless puddles

Keando

Another happy Defroster wearer. Been uesd for a couple of years now and no issues at all. Slightly larger than my normal size to allow for thicker socks.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Winter Spd shoes/boots’ is closed to new replies.