Winter, Snow, Driving have you really ?

Home Forum Chat Forum Winter, Snow, Driving have you really ?

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Winter, Snow, Driving have you really ?
  • Suppose we all think we’ve done it but come on we are talking UK here.
    just stay home for one day and its all over bar the complaining.

piemonster

Sigh…………

maxtorque

Ah, snow, my favourite:

ok, some snowier than others…….. 😉

trail_rat

Southern ukraine i@-28 n a bolga with bfg rear tires 🙂 was quite interesting how they just get on With it

Me I just take one of these out 😉

Premier Icon beanum
    Subscriber

That is my old Golf R32. Made it up to the chalet with winter tyres, no worries. Took a while to dig it out the next morning though….

Premier Icon SaxonRider
    Subscriber

A Canadian highway I have driven in winter many frightening times.

slackalice

Ditto Saxon Rider 😯

Oh yes,my work sites are all remote power lines so winter (snowy) driving is a must. VW caddy van last year coped well and new Toyota 4×4 will get me there this winter,bring it on 😆

Spin

just stay home for one day and its all over bar the complaining

There are a lot of people with no idea of how to drive in the snow. Mainly because they never have.

Premier Icon matt_outandabout
    Subscriber

Yes.
    One handed with camera… 8)

22/365 by matt_outandabout, on Flickr
    Minibus?

P1020240 by matt_outandabout, on Flickr
    Some normal commuting to work days. Work used to be 8miles up an un-ploughed road, that usually only had locals grit it by hand. So only way to work some weeks was to do battle with snow. Winter tyres an snow chains and some care driving = never been in a ditch. Worst problem was when snow got deeper (with chains on) it would build up against bumpers, requiring stopping and clearing. Many a drive home in dark, snow or ice road.

The mighty Yaris by matt_outandabout, on Flickr

More snow…. 🙂 by matt_outandabout, on Flickr

P1010794 Stitch by matt_outandabout, on Flickr

Now *that* is a ploughed drive. by matt_outandabout, on Flickr

Spin – Member

just stay home for one day and its all over bar the complaining

There are a lot of people with no idea of how to drive in the snow. Mainly because they never have.

I’ve been driving in the alps for 32 years but along with the 2 winters spent in Moscow the roads are generally cleared [3 times had to resort to chains on standard tyres], this years experience a little different having 2 weeks around Chamonix with snow everywhere and then to drive 600 miles to the port with snow on all the roads even Belgium Motorways. It would have been impossible without winter tyres.

Heading into the Jura 😕

Premier Icon sweaman2
    Subscriber

More Canadian highway footage. You know there is a lot of snow on the road when you need the wipers on even when it is sunny…..

Icefields parkway skiing March 2013 by Mark and Liz in Canada, on Flickr

khani

I was a plough/gritter driver in the peaks for eight years, plenty of snow up there for more than one day a year…

Premier Icon takisawa2
    Subscriber

Fair play to you that do have to head out in those sort of conditions.
    I can imagine any novelty soon wears off.

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

We do generally just get on with it. It’s the media that make us think there is some kind of hysteria, because they keep reporting on it.

No-one panicked where I live last time. We all just managed. What the media SHOULD do is persuade people to shovel snow.

There really is not an issue here, I think we should stop starting threads on it.

sweepy

Thats the A9

Premier Icon bruk
    Subscriber

[/url] Snowy track by Moose, on Flickr[/img]

This was a bit tricky I will admit but we are parked not abandoned. Got it out but did take a very careful right foot and using manual option in automatic gearbox to shift it.

mark90

Don’t get much snow round here, but when we do RWD (and selectable 4×4 when you get in to trouble) plus very shot wheelbase makes for loads of sideways fun 😀

Had a few interesting winters when I used to live Peak District / Staffordshire Moorlands way. Axe Edge always got it bad. Had a nice day out one new years day bashing through fresh 3-4 drifts round the lanes out by the Roaches and Longnor in my old SIII. Although most of the time there I had to make do with FWD cars.

rickt

Video of me and my mates driving upto a WRC stage from Karlstad to Hagfors in Sweden. It’s cruising along watching the world go by…

Can’t beat winter tyres.

[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=asMMRg6kdh0[/video]

butcher

just stay home for one day and its all over bar the complaining.

There seems to be a very obvious difference between the north and the south.

This photo is not out of focus by the way, it was actually very difficult to differentiate the road from the verges at the time of driving. It all blended into one.

Gary_C

Maxtorque, is that a Focus WRC in your first pic?

khani

I can imagine any novelty soon wears off.

It’s ok really but you have to keep on your toes, when you first start, learning the routes is hard at 3am in a blizzard, and knobbers doing suicide overtakes to avoid their car being gritted instead of just hanging back.
    The worst part is scrotes throwing bricks at you..

motivforz

My old car… sniff…

Great thread , wish I had pics, will get some this season 😈

TuckerUK

Worse conditions I’ve driven in were in Denver Colorado USA in February 1994, they’d had record snow. With drifts, snow was reaching up to single story building roofs. We had hired a 4×4, but with non-snow tyres it was a hairy 3 hour night drive to Steamboat Springs where we were staying.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Winter, Snow, Driving have you really ?’ is closed to new replies.