• This topic has 23 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by bsims.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Winter Shorts
  • bsims
    Free Member

I need a new pair of shorts and saw some madison dte soft shell shorts. They look and feel like they will be comfortable (more so than just waterproof shorts) but will they be too warm, any one got a pair or something similar who can comment please? Ta.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I can honestly say I have never thought, or ever will, ‘these shorts are too hot’

🤣🤣🤣

bsims
    Free Member

😁

Do you not find that everything gets a bit too sweaty with too much material? It’s why I never where trousers/ tights, mind you Cannock is the furthest north that I ride often.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    andybrad

ive got some.

there good but dont stop the spray. very robust though. hot in summer, not now

bsims
    Free Member

Thanks andybrad, do you mean the spray goes up the leg or through the material?

lapierrelady

I like the mt500 with the soft shell legs and waterproof arse patch

sirromj

waterproof arse patch

Why don’t more DWR treated shorts have this, it’s literally insane.

lapierrelady

It really works as well- nothing is colder and horrible that a wet chamois- and you don’t get the chafe as with completely ‘waterproof’ shorts

bsims
    Free Member

Thanks lapierrelady, is it the waterproof or spray you have?

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I have the Madison shorts referred to by the OP. They are great this time of year, but as soon as the temperature hits double digits, thy’re too warm. The seams are not taped either. I’m not sure they’re actually waterproof in a try hydrostatic head sense – sitting on wet moss would result in a wet arse, but they do the job almost all of the time. This weekend I got fully filthed and I remained dry and warm.

I also have some Madison shorts from a couple of model-years ago with a lighter softshell leg that is less water-resistant, but a fully waterproof 3-layer stretch gore-tex-a-like arse panel. These are good and deal with wheel spray well, but aren’t as warm. They are fine year and are best when trail dampness would lead to arsecrack wetness. The sealed seam keeps peeling off on the stretch fabric, but a hot iron tip run along the seam sorts it.

Del

I’m pleased with them teamed with a softshell jacket in temperatures of 4-12c (ish). The zips they put on the side pockets are those horrible chunky things they seem to use across their clothing range, and the sizing I would describe as a bit unusual, but other than that – thumbs up.

I’m 32″ waist and the medium were far too big in the waist – I couldn’t get the adjuster close to taking up the slack, so they went back. The small are pretty good at the waist, though the thighs feel a smidge snug if I was being really critical. Comfy enough though!

andybrad

they arnt waterproof. the spray soakes through eventually. but better than a waterproof as it keeps your ass a little warmer on short (<15 miles) rides. will be soaked through though.

never reproofed them though.

the waterproof ones lasted 6 months.

bsims
    Free Member

Thanks all, looks like the Madison DTE could do the job, or perhaps spend a bit more on the  Endura MT500s.

kcal

I have both the Madison summer ones (no treatment) and the ones with the waterproof arse (Addict possibly). They are currently gorilla taped and the waterproof bit is going, so looking at the DTE ones. There was mutterings about fit in the last 3 years, I think the small is ideal for me – or has been – got Madison 3/4 proper waterproof ones and had to go to Medium, but maybe the fabric ones are more relaxed cut.

bsims
    Free Member

Thanks all, I went for the Madison dte soft shell in the end. Large size, is slightly large on the waist but the mediums were too tight on my legs.

Edit . I just reread your comment del, I somewhere between 32 and 34 and the mediums were fine waist wise, maybe one of us tried/have an mis sized pair.

geex
    Free Member

I can honestly say I have never thought, or ever will, ‘these shorts are too hot’

🤣🤣🤣

No. Me neither. Although…

Google images > hot + shorts

That’s my afternoon sorted. Thanks guys.

XD

hooja
    Free Member

Mild hijack but answers maybe useful to the op…Can anyone recommend any slim fit shorts? Not city cotton jobs but decent mud/rain proof ones.
    I’m fed up of flappy overshorts in bad weather, sounding like a loose sail on a boat ( I’m a bit of a Lycra warrior really and would rather something more fitted and above the knee

sirromj

🤣🤣🤣
    No. Me neither. Although…

Is that because you have shorts for every conceivable weather condition and always select the appropriate short even hours ahead of the weather conditions you end up riding in!?

bsims
    Free Member

Both the Madison dte shorts I tried are close fitting. Soft shell and waterproof. Not Lycra close though.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

No sirromj, I live in Scotland mate, most of the time we haven’t a clue what the weather holds, and it’s very rarely ever too **** hot.

hainman
    Free Member

You mean apart from RAIN😂😂

hainman
    Free Member

Been using the Maddison Addict(not sure what they’re called now) for over a year and been fine
    Although I either wear a cut pair of running tights or very thin summer shorts under them as the plasticy feel is not nice on bare skin

sirromj

No sirromj, I live in Scotland mate, most of the time we haven’t a clue what the weather holds, and it’s very rarely ever too **** hot.

Here on the SE Coast a few weeks ago the temps dropped down below 6 degrees pushing me into dress-for-winter mode for my commutes. Then the temps shot back up again, think it peaked at around 15 degrees some point last week and I was getting hot and bothered all week on my rides to work (not helped by needing to rush). Once I think Winter is here I would sometimes much rather it really was here than all this pretending. Fitted full mudguards now so it’s going to stop raining on the commutes too.

bsims
    Free Member

Once I think Winter is here I would sometimes much rather it really was here than all this pretending.

Definitely agree.

As I live south of the wall I don’t have to think about tights etc, so I wanted something to keep the wind off and be reasonable water resistant.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Winter Shorts’ is closed to new replies.