Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Winter shoes for flat pedals
  • howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Hi, can anyone recommend some good value shoes for mountain biking in the cold an wet. I use flat pedals. Skate shoes are fine in summer but not when thy get wet and my feet freeze.

Thanks!

gren
    Free Member

Just posed this question on BR. Shimano AM41s were mentioned by a couple of people.

I’m also looking around for views on the new 5-10 Freerider Elements

yorkshire89
    Free Member

Skate shoes and waterproof socks?

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Ok , I guess I also meant non cycle specific shoes, like trail running type things..?

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

waterproof socks

don’t think they help with the coldness really

I_Ache
    Free Member

They do if you get the merino ones. Also get some calf length ones, that will help even more.

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

I use Vans shoes in summer annd Vans boots in winter , you can oick em up cheap in TK-MAX sometimes

vondally
    Free Member

light hiking boots with a waterproof liner (or not) and vibram soles

merino wool socks

stiff enough for pedal, able to walk all waterproof shoes or socks have a great big hole..usually where your foot goes …so in real deluge you will get wet feet waterproof socks turn into a paddling pool for your fee, wool socks stay warm when wet…goretex or waterproof shoe liner will keep the water in but by this point it will be horrendous, goretex shrugs off most of the puddle water so keeping feet dry for a bit longer.

prezet
    Free Member

I use my Vans Gravels, with a pair of seal skinz socks… seem to be plenty warm enough and the Vans do a good job of keeping the water out.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Good tips so far. Hadn’t thought of the hiking boot route. Merino wool socks huh? know any good brands? I’m in Sweden so I need to be as warm as possible!

vondally
    Free Member

I pretty much use what is on sale in tk maxx,

smartwool
    bridgedale

littlemisspanda
    Free Member

merino liners and waterproof socks for me

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Inside normal trainers ? Don’t they just get really wet and stay wet?

gren
    Free Member

I use my Vans Gravels, with a pair of seal skinz socks… seem to be plenty warm enough and the Vans do a good job of keeping the water out.

Exactly what I’ve used for the past 2 winters. Merinos if it’s dry, Sealskinz if it’s wet. My toes still feel like they are going to drop off though if it’s sub zero.

Northwind

Inevitably there’ll be a sealskinz argument in a minute… I got a set of calf-length ones last year, they are teh awesums. I had a bit of leakage with the cycling ones before, though they were still better than no sealskinz, but these work better.

(as ever, don’t squash them into a small shoe though)

If you can find some Sombrio X-Shazams in your size, they are easily the best cycling-specific winter shoe… Warm, reasonably waterproof (very splash resistant, not immersion proof though). Dry fast, too. I love mine, they’re discontinued but if I could find another pair in 43 I’d buy them like a shot.

Haven’t Five Ten finally got their Elements model out?

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Ok so merino wool liners are like socks? then waterproof sock over those, then in a pair of shoes?

I can’t bring myself to wear calf length socks. It’s too much 🙂

plyphon
    Free Member

I use a old skate shoe with a seal skins sock with a small/thin sock underneath for extra warmth.

Works for me.

ton

all the winter shoe you will ever need.
    been using them for 4 yrs.

GHill

I’ve got a pair of the ExumGuides too, they’re great when it’s really cold and wet. I’ve also got a pair of Element Vxi’s, good so far but not tried them in proper cold.

ton

can i add, when they are cleaned they look pretty new….toughest shoes i have ever owned.

Sam

MadBillMcMad

the trouble with waterproof boots is that they don’t let the water out !!

I use the same boots all year 5:10 karvers
    & Good thick woolly socks.

jam-bo

mine fell apart after about three weeks of summer riding. need to send them back for a refund really.

pipiom
    Free Member

Check out previous thread with pics “five ten sloes on Berghaus boots” some pics as well……feetfirst did the job, you buy any arctic boot and send em and they resole with 5:10s

Awesome!!!!

Hope this helps

thomthumb
    Free Member

trail centres only take an hour or two.

Leave the mud plugging to the bridleway bashers and their spd’s.

zelak999
    Free Member

Sombrio X Shazams, good grip, warm and relatively dry.

benp1

The exam guides are just trail boots. No different to use merrells or salomons I would have thought

Waterproof only ever last so long, as long as you can be warm and wet you should be happy. For example, when I’m out on big walks I generally wear mesh trail runners, as long as ,my feet are warm I’m happy, they dry out quickly too

Biggest problem with trail type shoes is the sole pattern/tread

miketually
    Free Member

I’m currently riding in some cheap Karrimor Summit trail shoes/trainers I got cheap in Sports Direct, on Wellgo V8 copy pedals. Not been bounced off and they keep my feet dry enough.

Once the water runs down your legs, you’re going to get water in your shoes anyway, so I wear some thin On-One merino socks with mine.

If it’s warm and wet, I just wear light trail running trainers as I’d rather have shoes that drain well and dry fast. Used Inov-8 Mudrocs for years, including for the Kielder 100 a couple of times.

warpcow
    Free Member

Merino sealskinz and AM41s see me through most the Swedish winter. I add a liner if it’s really cold or if I’m out for more than an hour. I am quite naturally warm though; good circulation or whatever.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Ok thanks for all the tips! Staying warm is the most important for me, as cold toes are agony

bartimaeus
    Free Member

Yep AM41s for me – with ordinary socks in summer and Sealskinz when it’s cold or very wet.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Winter shoes for flat pedals’ is closed to new replies.